New MacBook Air Enticed Me to the Dark Side

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2814
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 20 2010 12:39 PM

My only question was about storage. On the PC side, my library is very large. Will the 128GB one be enough. That's the one I'm getting so it will almost have to.

Gonna need some help though as i've never used a Mac for more than a few minutes at the store.

Posts 25
John Murphy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 1:34 PM

I think the 128GB will be fine.

Do you think the processor (1.4 or 1.86 depending on size) will run Logos well? 

I like where Apple is going with the Macbook Air and I like that this one is priced well.

Posts 53
Ryan Schildroth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 1:54 PM

The resources are the space hog. But they are the same resource files on both sides, so add up the GB in your library on your current computer and you will have your answer.

Regarding processing power, you give that up going with an ultra-portable (along with RAM). You'll get the job done, but slower. But you'll look good doing it! Stick out tongue

MacBook Pro (Late 2011) | 2.3 GHz Core i5 | 1TB HD | 8GB RAM | 10.12 Sierra | Scholar's Library +

Posts 1551
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 2:36 PM

Oh gosh, I totally covet the 11.6 inch model. DO WANT!  

Welcome to the Mac Cult. (Walter Martin never said a thing about it, so it's ok Wink )

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 2:43 PM

Kevin

I moved from PC to Mac this time last year. There was a short time of adjusting but I was soon able to do everything I wanted to do.

I've been right through the Alpha & Beta stages of Logos 4 Mac and I find it really very stable and usable for my weekly sermon preparation and personal study. It is still missing some L4 features, but they aren't things I ever used Logos for.

BTW you have not moved to the dark side you come into the light. And it's so bright you'll need shades. Cool

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 11
Joshua Moran | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 2:55 PM

Welcome to Mac!

The processing will be slower for sure, I run Scholar on my Macbook Pro  15" with 4 GB RAM and 128 GB Solid State Drive and it works perfectly. As for the Macbook Air your processor is significantly slower, BUT you have a solid state drive based on flash memory so processing speeds up because of that.

As for the space, it should be just fine. I personally keep an 8 GB

I think it will be just fine, just the install and indexing will take some time upfront.

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 3:14 PM

Make sure you get the 4GB memory, it will be the biggest thing for your performance. I hope you have a great experience with your MacBook Air...

-Dan

Posts 48
David Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 3:17 PM

John Murphy:

I think the 128GB will be fine.

Do you think the processor (1.4 or 1.86 depending on size) will run Logos well? 

I like where Apple is going with the Macbook Air and I like that this one is priced well.

That is for the 11". The 13" is faster -- up to 2.13. Not like my iMac, but good enough for using -- after indexing. I could see it with the 2.13, maxed memory and storage.

This is really the portable option as far as Logos is concerned since the iPad app seems just to be a reader. 

iMac 21.5 inch • iPhone 3GS 

Software Engineer καὶ μαθητῆς τοῦ λόγου τοῦ θεοῦ

Posts 23
Rodrigo Quema | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 4:19 PM

I have the first generation MBAir and find my Logos 4 Scholars' Edition slow.  I am hoping to upgrade to the new MBAir with the 4GB of Ram and faster processor, that should help speed things up...

Posts 507
Greg | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 6:19 PM

Kevin,

Once you get it, many pictures of it in action would be awesome, as well as a nice review on Logos' performance on the device!

Posts 2710
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 7:33 PM

I thought Windows was the dark side. (I've been using both for decades , but I have to poke fun....) You can never have too much memory. Be very interested in your review of the new computer.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 11:32 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
Gonna need some help though as i've never used a Mac for more than a few minutes at the store.

Hi Kevin, Welcome to the Light! Cool When you bought the iPad, I knew we had you Big Smile. L4 Mac is slow at this time because the dev team has not done much in the way of optimization. However,I would expect this to improve soon. 

If you have problems, just ask, we promise to be gentle.

Posts 2814
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 1:09 PM

I will post my experiences here my blog and at Notebooks.com where I will be writing about the hardware. Of course I will mention Logos there as it is a big part of my work. Thanks for the warm wishes and pledges of help. And Jack, remember that I will always be a PC at heart.

Posts 10819
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 2:30 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:
And Jack, remember that I will always be a PC at heart.

Just give it time. Geeked

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS