The New MacBook Air

Page 2 of 4 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 73 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 491
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 23 2010 12:03 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

On it. Mine will arrive by next Wed.

I'm amazed you're getting a Mac, Kevin. I had you down as a diehard Windows guy.

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 491
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 23 2010 2:18 PM

According to Cult of Mac, the new 11" MBA is incredibly fast:

http://www.cultofmac.com/11-inch-macbook-air-first-impression-its-freakin-fast/65623

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 1046
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 23 2010 10:18 PM

R. Mansfield:
the new 11" MBA is incredibly fast

Great News. Really want to see Logos4 on it in action.

Posts 14
Maks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 24 2010 10:35 AM

MBA 11" and 13", both are really fast, 13" runs Logos much better. 4Gb ram and 256 HDD(not really hdd).  Price wise.... the question here wasn't about a cheapest way to run portable Logos but the best way. MBA 13" maxed out is really nice, i mean, really!

Truth Reformed Bible Church, Colorado USA

Teaching Elder.

Evangelist, currently preaching in Ukraine

Posts 2815
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 24 2010 2:28 PM

R. Mansfield:

Kevin A. Purcell:

On it. Mine will arrive by next Wed.

I'm amazed you're getting a Mac, Kevin. I had you down as a diehard Windows guy.

I likely will run windows. I've been looking for an ultra portable that I could write on and do digital bible study. Now that logos for mac is comparable to the quality of the windows version, I decided it was time to jump. I also am doing a lot of writing about macs at notebooks.com. Hard to do without using it.

Posts 1046
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 24 2010 3:11 PM

KGBguy:
the question here wasn't about a cheapest way to run portable Logos but the best way

Wow, you really made me excited about it. Could you have some way to show how fast it is? Of course a video is the best but if you can't, could you give us some numbers like how much time it takes to do a certain tasks or so?

And if that performance boost is due to the SSD, I think we should all install an SSD on our PC then.

Thanks.

Posts 2815
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 2:11 PM

Logos taught me a new skill today ... how to install a Mac program. I am now downloading content and will be up and running in about three weeks. Just kidding. Who knows how long it takes to download and index on Mac? I have a very large library.

Posts 491
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 2:18 PM

It takes forever. Welcome to the social (to borrow a Microsoft marketing phrase).

Still like the MB Air I assume?

Are you a heavy Office user? If so, I'd be interested in your take on Office 2011/Mac released today. It seems to definitely be better than Office 2008 which ran extremely slow. Having copied over the Office ribbon finally, it's decidedly un-Maclike, but I completely understand why they did it. There are increasing numbers of Windows to Mac switchers as well as people who use Windows at Work and the Mac at home. Having essentially the same interface will be helpful to most of those kinds of users. 

I use Word 2008 for my dissertation (having to remain with 2008 until Endnote is updated for 2011), but both can live simultaneously on the same system. I'll be grading my students' papers in Word 2011. I use iWork Pages a lot for personal work, especially since it's on the iPad, too. 

I doubt I'll ever switch from Keynote back to PowerPoint even though PP'11 is a significant improvement. 

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 11
Everest Liu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 3:33 PM

Greg Masone:

I actually hadn't thought of it in that way yet...

Someone needs to get one and post their experience here on the forums!  Or sneak into an Apple Store, download their library, and do it that way!

i work at the Apple store and we have the machines to delete foreign subsidies on restart. Please don't do this. It'll just give us more work and make people hate the bible more than they already do.

Posts 2815
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 3:58 PM

R. Mansfield:

It takes forever. Welcome to the social (to borrow a Microsoft marketing phrase).

Still like the MB Air I assume?

Are you a heavy Office user? If so, I'd be interested in your take on Office 2011/Mac released today.

Well, I'm still getting used to it. So far so good thought.

I am downloading Office 2011 from technet as we speak so I can speak on that later. I will also buy iWork and try it out too. I like the apps on the iPad so I think I will like them on the MacBook Air too.

Posts 1046
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 4:42 PM

Everest Liu:

Greg Masone:

I actually hadn't thought of it in that way yet...

Someone needs to get one and post their experience here on the forums!  Or sneak into an Apple Store, download their library, and do it that way!

i work at the Apple store and we have the machines to delete foreign subsidies on restart. Please don't do this. It'll just give us more work and make people hate the bible more than they already do.

I think that's a joke. Don't take it too seriously.

By the way, it reminds me the jailbreakme.com jailbreaking iDevices at Apple Store.

Posts 2815
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 7:43 PM

I finally got it downloaded and installed. Took about 5 hours to download on a fast 10MB/sec cable connection.

It is now indexing and says 8 hours left. So if it is like Windows, indexing is causing a real slow down of the system. If that doesn't happen on the Mac version, then I am really worried. It is very slow right now. Takes about 2-3 seconds to respond to a mouse click.

That said, it looks good. the 1440x900 screen gives me a lot of room to work with. I am going to olike that compared to my previousl 1280x800 HP.

I'll post more after indexing is done.

Posts 36
Darin Allen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 11:04 PM

No worries, that is totally normal and it will speed up once if finishes indexing.  Quite annoying in the mean time though, definitely. 

www.darinallen.org

Posts 15
John Chun | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 8:27 AM

Hi guys. I was following quite closely on the MBA performance review and just realized that it does not support Apple Remote (MBA does not have Infrared Receiver)... is really a draw back for me since I need to do plenty of presentation. 

Posts 41
Nelson Yuen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 8:39 AM

GET a USB pointer can fix it!

Posts 15
John Chun | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 9:16 AM

An USB pointer surely can fix it but I already own an Apple Remote... 

Posts 491
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 9:39 AM

Actually, if you plan to use a remote a lot, a USB solution might not be your best answer.

My wife uses the original MacBook Air for speaking at conferences. Now, I don't know if this is an issue with the new models, but we've found is that if the MacBook Air is too close to some projectors (especially Epson projectors like the one we own), the projector interferes with the MacBook Air's trackpad. You essentially cannot control the the pointer, even to start a slideshow. If you're shelling out of the slideshow for demonstrations, this causes even more problems. This is a known issue with the original MacBook Air. Apple claims it's improper shielding in the wiring of some projectors. This may be true, but I don't have the same problem when using the same projectors with my MacBook Pro. 

Now if you can move the MacBook Air far enough away from the projector, none of this matters. But if you regularly speak in different settings, you know that you don't always have this kind of freedom. 

Therefore, the solution we've worked out for my wife is to use an external USB mouse. That works fine, but obviously, if you're wanting to use a USB-based remote, you can see the immediate problem--the MacBook Air has only one USB port. Yes, there are USB hubs, but you'll find that they usually require an external power source when used with the MacBook Air. Then you'd have a hub and yet another cord connected to your Air.

I agree that it's a bit shortsighted on Apple's part not to allow use of their own remote with the Air. My wife uses hers all the time. How would you even use Front Row without a remote? Well, you'd have to use the keyboard, but that kinds kills the fun of hooking up the Air to the TV to watch videos. 

I think the best solution is going to be a Bluetooth remote to use with the Air, but you're going to have to make certain it works with Keynote (or PowerPoint if that's your preference) before you buy.

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 1046
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 11:56 AM

If you have an iPhone, use that as a pointer.

Posts 491
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 12:05 PM

Kolen Cheung:

If you have an iPhone, use that as a pointer.

This works great if you can get both devices on the same wifi network. I often use my iPad to direct a Keynote presentation on my MacBook Pro. I can walk around a room and even have my presenter notes showing on the iPad.

However, there are lots of places where you cannot get on a wifi network. My wife speaks in a lot of schools. In most schools, the local wifi networks are controlled by the county and they don't allow outside devices to get on the network. So, it works great when you can use it, but you cannot depend on it as a final solution. 

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 1046
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 27 2010 12:34 PM

Create an ac hoc network between your iDevice and the computer. Search achoc network in the web will have the instruction on how to do it. The place that I get WiFi actually blocks the other access in the network, including the file sharing between my computer and the iPad. So, I have been using ac hoc since the first day I use iPad and I have no problem on it. It will be fast, by the way. Ac hoc reduce time lag too.

Page 2 of 4 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS