Display all occurrences of all words in a given Bible book

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 255
Pat Flanakin | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 21 2010 7:12 PM

Have any of you tried to get Logos to provide the number of occurrences for all words in a particular Bible book?

For instance, if I want to see how many times each word in a given English translation occurs in a given Bible book, how would I achieve this?  I did create a Super Passage Guide template which of course can look up whole books at a time and the interesting Words area is helpful, but I want to see the number of occurrences.

Thanks for any help.

Posts 18643
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 8:55 PM

There is no way to do this currently in L4. This will be coming when they implement the vocabulary list feature which was in L3, currently slated for sometime before the end of 2010. Or if you still have L3 on your machine, you can do it there:

It appears to only work if you use one of the original languages, though. At least I can't get it to work for English Bibles. I'm not sure if this is a limitation of the feature or if I'm just not using it right.

There's also the word list feature (also slated for implementation in L4 by the end of 2010) which will work for English Bibles but it only gives you a list of the unique words in a passage. It doesn't give you the frequencies. Again, I never knew L3 very well, so this might be something I'm not using properly.

Posts 147
John Murphy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 23 2010 6:09 AM

It seems like you could just do a Bible search, limit the search to the book you want to search, select which Bible you want to search and then select "match case" in the dropdown menu.  For instance searching the book of Matthew in the ESV for "Kingdom" gave me 54 results in 52 verses.  Searching without matching the case (so it picks up other forms of kingdom, like kingdoms) gave me 55 results in 53 verses.

Posts 147
John Murphy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 23 2010 6:10 AM

Oh...you are looking for ALL words.  Sorry.  My bad.

Posts 2691
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 23 2010 8:11 AM

No way of doing it easily, however, if you are prepared to wait while it searches you can build up the results

if you need to go out for an hour or two try running this.. ..but the Lord may also return before the result..

to return all words 2-13 chars in length, you would need to search for "?? OR ??? OR ???? OR ????? OR ?????? OR ??????? OR ???????? OR ????????? OR ?????????? OR ??????????? OR ???????????? OR ?????????????"

its ugly and VERY VERY slow, but it works.. heres the test I did on 2-6 char words in part of Romans 5

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 24 2010 6:38 AM

Easy (multi-minute) Bible Analysis search for * (in entire book of Matthew):

Observation: Upper and Lower case segregated.  Also, 1st three results intriguing.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 255
Pat Flanakin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 24 2010 3:25 PM

The above search is just what I wanted.  I tried this, but I quit the search as I thought it was hung.  I use wildcard symbols all the time and expected it would just run faster.

We are studying James in our Bible Study group right now and a good search on all words is needed to begin the approach into the details.

Thanks "Keep Smiling" so much for the help.  Hopefully many learned from this post.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 24 2010 6:58 PM

Pat Flanakin:
The above search is just what I wanted.  I tried this, but I quit the search as I thought it was hung.  I use wildcard symbols all the time and expected it would just run faster.

Searching James using Logos Bible Software 4.0b Beta 2 (4.10.4.6567) (Update Channel: beta) on 2.8 GHz Quad Core i7 took 3.5 minutes:

Used Activity Monitor - showed CPU around 100 % while searching (Logos spinning wheel) - anticipate Mac with slower processor taking more time (your mileage may vary).

Noticed some curiosities in reverse interlinear results (e.g. greek article counted as separate word),

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS