Indexing Question

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 45
Jesse Frame | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 28 2010 9:05 AM

if i understand correctly, when you add new resources L4 makes an addition to the index.

is it beneficial in any way to manually re-index so there is "one" index?

(i dont know if that is even really how it works...)

Jesse FrameNew Mission Systems International, Australia

Posts 5868
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 28 2010 12:15 PM

Does the entry 'Supplemental Index' in the help file answer this question?

I can't get it to Copy and Paste sorry.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 147
John Murphy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 29 2010 3:40 AM

It is somewhat beneficial to re-index.  According to Logos if you do a search of your entire library, since it has to search both the regular index and the supplemental index there is a slight degradation in performance.  A new supplemental index is added whenever a small amount of resources are updated.  When there is a huge update it automatically re-indexes everything into one index.

I've found that re-indexing is much faster than when L4 first came out so I usually do it whenever something is added.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 29 2010 7:24 PM

When a supplemental index exists, results are shown for supplemental resources before rest of library - also has option to merge indexes:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 29 2010 7:57 PM

So KS4J, to merge your "new resources" index and your normal index is the same thing as reindexing?  When does the program do this without me knowing?  Or is it a little at a time?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 29 2010 9:16 PM

Paul Newsome:

So KS4J, to merge your "new resources" index and your normal index is the same thing as reindexing?  When does the program do this without me knowing?  Or is it a little at a time?

Rebuild Index command deletes existing indexes and rebuilds them. Clicking Merge Indexes Now can be much faster with similar index results when done.  Merging indexes requires click to start (hence you know when it started) - blue icon appears on menu bar while merge in progress.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10886
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 30 2010 7:36 AM

Paul Newsome:
When does the program do this without me knowing?  Or is it a little at a time?

I believe I am correct in this statement, but it has been awhile since I read the note. When the Supplemental Index reaches a certain percentage of the Main Index, L4 will initiate a complete reindex. I do not remember what the % is, however.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS