Latest 40mb update

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4
Nathan Gernetzky | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 3 2010 11:26 AM

I am running latest Logos 4 Mac version and today I received an update stating new resources were being added. After the download and the 20min indexing I still have the same count in my Library. Any news on this? Thanks

Posts 287
Jerry Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 3 2010 11:46 AM

I received the same thing, and when I called Logos to see what it was the lady on the phone told me that she didn't know what it was. This is one of the most aggravating things about logos random updates without any warning. But whatever it was I hope to get word about it soon.

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 3 2010 1:34 PM

An update is downloading, what is it

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 116
B. J. Clarke | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 3 2010 2:32 PM

I try to measure my words carefully when I post so that I do not come across as cranky. Also, I am truly appreciative for the fabulous work and progress made by the devs. 

However, this issue of "mystery downloads" is not peculiar to the Mac devs. IMHO, this is something that Mr. Pritchett (and others in charge) ought to put near the top of their to do lists for the benefit of all Logos users--whether Windows or Mac.

In this age of modern technology, there is no reason why we should have to guess about what is downloading onto our systems. Neither should we have to jump through hoops and go digging and searching through logs and databases to unravel the mystery of the unknown download.

The other software updates I receive are very informative about what it is I am preparing to download. There is no mystery! Nor am I expected to go searching through my computer to try and figure it all out, post-download. It's all transparent and right up front. This is also a time saving feature!

Obviously, the technology is available. So, I ask in all kindness, with a willingness to be educated, is there a reason why this feature has not yet been added to L4W or L4M?

Does it require more man hours and effort than I am aware of to make this work?

Does adding an informative message about what is being downloaded somehow threaten the stability of the program? If so, could we not at least receive an e-mail, or a consistent and timely post in one of the forums informing us about the specifics of the download?

Or is it fairly simple to do, but just a matter of not being high on the priority list? 

IMHO, there are enough loyal Logos customers who have made this request to justify fast-tracking this feature into the software. Perhaps it is very close to being added and I am just not aware of it. I'm not mad. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. 

Thanks

BJC

Posts 34
JinHTown | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 3 2010 2:47 PM

Great note! 

Logos, please send some type of notification about what is being downloaded!

Posts 662
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 3 2010 3:13 PM

Logos did say that in some update in the future Logos would allow us to be notified of what updates we are getting. But I still think Logos should add the release notes to the forum before allowing updates to be downloaded. That isn't too much to ask is it?

Posts 51
Richard Labelle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 3 2010 3:49 PM

You took those words right out of my mouth B.J.! I feel the same way. It is indeed very important that we know at all times what's being downloaded in our computers.  I too am very appreciative of the work the dev are doing ... but this concern has been raised more than a few times now. God bless you ALL. 

... pursuing excellence in Christ Jesus!

Posts 255
Pat Flanakin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 3 2010 6:29 PM

Mr. Black, this is not directed at you:

The link is appreciated, but that solution is a bit ridiculous, as a solution from a software company.  That is something I would expect from a 3rd party vendor who only sells the software like Office Depot selling Turbo Tax.

Thomas Black:

Posts 60
David Bergquist | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 3 2010 7:15 PM

I agree and will be blessed when this is available.

Posts 60
David Bergquist | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 3 2010 7:18 PM

I meant to say that I agree with what JimHTown wrote,

ask Logos to provide this and

look forward to the blessings of this feature.

JinHTown:

Great note! 

Logos, please send some type of notification about what is being downloaded!

Posts 5868
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 4 2010 1:53 AM

B. J. Clarke:

IMHO, there are enough loyal Logos customers who have made this request to justify fast-tracking this feature into the software. Perhaps it is very close to being added and I am just not aware of it. I'm not mad. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. 

Thanks

BJC

HEAR! HEAR!

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 4
Nathan Gernetzky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 4 2010 4:36 AM

If anyone else had the update did you notice any new resources?

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 4 2010 4:46 AM

I'm fascinated by the Logos model lately...  Why must (and do) Logos users plead for features that improve Logos' product, improve user experience, address repeated customer requests, etc?  I've heard a lot about how "Logos listens to its users" (and have seen examples of that now and then) but the process by which Logos responds to requests seems to be somewhat random.  Some requests get very little support and yet are implemented.  Others are requested many times, with pleading, and yet seem to fall on deaf ears.  Why is this?  Would a more uniform way of handling / tracking requests as well as providing feedback about which requests have been accepted / rejected not go a long way to improving this situation.  Right now we are left to guess whether someone at Logos actually read our "pleas", left to guess whether that "plea" might be looked upon with favour, etc.  Is it not simple politeness to acknowledge requests (with a simple "yes", "no" or "maybe")?

Yours in fascination,

Stuart.

Posts 34
JinHTown | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 4 2010 8:16 AM

Agreed.

I've turned off auto updates and internet connectivity due to this issue.  I want to know what is being downloaded on my computer, so now I'll wait to read forums on possible problems...like the last auto update that caused a continuous crash in L4M (would not start up), and which deleted all of my layouts (lost much time re-creating these when everything had been working fine).  I later found a forum describing this issue - although an rare problem, I would have waited to learn more, but it was too late.

This is a simple and basic request in today's software market, and for this genre of software.  Accordance has a simple and effective solution - by providing a brief description of all individual updates available!  ... before downloading!  

Logos staff, I hope you are not believing the idea that people do not want to be bothered with this kind of info...that they just want everything to auto-do-everything, and I-don't-care-what-the-update-is-just-do-it.  I hope this is not what you are thinking.

Thanks for listening...I hope you are listening?

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 4 2010 8:30 AM

man I didn't get a recent 40mb mystery update!

...or maybe I did and didn't notice it!

BTW, LOGOS, if any future gratis mystery updates include the NICOT/NICNT I give explicit permission to keep it a surprise and just send it on down.

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 4 2010 8:41 AM

B. J. Clarke:

In this age of modern technology, there is no reason why we should have to guess about what is downloading onto our systems. Neither should we have to jump through hoops and go digging and searching through logs and databases to unravel the mystery of the unknown download.

The other software updates I receive are very informative about what it is I am preparing to download. There is no mystery! Nor am I expected to go searching through my computer to try and figure it all out, post-download. It's all transparent and right up front. This is also a time saving feature!

Obviously, the technology is available. So, I ask in all kindness, with a willingness to be educated, is there a reason why this feature has not yet been added to L4W or L4M?

Is there a good reason?  That's up to you to decide.  I'm an information guy.  I still read the Microsoft knowledge base articles before applying updates from MS though most people don't.  So I understand.  

At best I can offer you that Bob is getting the message: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/24189/180574.aspx#180574

B. J. Clarke:
Does it require more man hours and effort than I am aware of to make this work?
Yes.  Apparently this is the reality.  If you read Bob's post above there is also the built in resistance to doing so because in Logos' mindset providing the information leads inevitably to requests for granularity and feature creep (and the resulting escalation of tech support costs).  

B. J. Clarke:
Does adding an informative message about what is being downloaded somehow threaten the stability of the program? If so, could we not at least receive an e-mail, or a consistent and timely post in one of the forums informing us about the specifics of the download?

Each are often requested items.

B. J. Clarke:
 And you've done an excellent job! Yes

I agree that we should have the information.  Workflows need to be built, interfaces designed and implemented and individuals paid to do the job.  I like you hope that it will get done.

To that end I would encourage everyone on the thread to place a vote on uservoice at this link: Add an Info window that tells you what is being updated.

Furthermore: the good news is that in the new beta for Windows at least (not sure about Mac) a "last updated" column has been added to the library.  It's not everything we've dreamed about but it's a step in the right direction.  

(see "last modified date column" at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/24189/180574.aspx#180574)

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 4 2010 8:41 AM

Pat Flanakin:

Mr. Black, this is not directed at you:

The link is appreciated, but that solution is a bit ridiculous, as a solution from a software company.  That is something I would expect from a 3rd party vendor who only sells the software like Office Depot selling Turbo Tax.

Thomas Black:

I understand the spirit in which it is given.  :-)

I'll try to be more helpful than the drive by posting referenced.  

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 4 2010 8:46 AM

Stuart Robertson:
Some requests get very little support and yet are implemented.
I suspect this is largely due to (1) perception on our part and (2) communication (or lack thereof) on Logos' part.  

Even though Logos has grown in a large way this year it still functions in many ways like a smaller business than it currently is.  Logos is going through growing pains and we're along for the ride.    I hope this doesn't sound like I'm making excuses as it is meant to be an observation.  

Stuart Robertson:
Would a more uniform way of handling / tracking requests as well as providing feedback about which requests have been accepted / rejected not go a long way to improving this situation.  Right now we are left to guess whether someone at Logos actually read our "pleas", left to guess whether that "plea" might be looked upon with favour, etc.  Is it not simple politeness to acknowledge requests (with a simple "yes", "no" or "maybe")?

Logos has implemented Uservoice to formalize this and to answer this very need.  

Please see: Customer Feedback for Logos Bible Software

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 4 2010 8:48 AM

JinHTown:
Logos staff, I hope you are not believing the idea that people do not want to be bothered with this kind of info...that they just want everything to auto-do-everything, and I-don't-care-what-the-update-is-just-do-it.  I hope this is not what you are thinking.
They are listening, as evidenced by Bob's thread linked above.  

Right now, you've taken the only available step: turning off updates and waiting for forum postings.  Yes it's a work around, but I believe that the above dialog shows that Logos is listening.

Now then: I'm sure I've missed someone's question here - or that my answers may not have been long enough.  

Please point me to the remaining points and I'll attempt an answer that is both cogent and helpful.

Posts 34
JinHTown | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 4 2010 10:32 AM

Thank you, Thomas!  I have a few other posts that have not been responded to, but you have responded, and done so thoroughly!   Don't worry, I know the Logos staff is hard at work producing/refining this excellent software.  God bless you!

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS