E.W. Bullinger's Companion Bible Notes

Page 1 of 4 (72 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 71 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 6 2009 12:19 AM

How about adding E.W. Bullinger's notes from The Companion Bible as a Logos book? 

It's out of copyright, so you all could ca$h in.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2009 1:55 AM

MikeM:

How about adding E.W. Bullinger's notes from The Companion Bible as a Logos book? 

It's out of copyright, so you all could ca$h in.

I've generally found that those who follow the Companion Bible notes are kooks.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2009 6:06 AM

George Somsel:

Boy, are you in for a big surprise.

Posts 2869
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2009 7:02 AM

George Somsel:

George you sure don't like dispensationalist is there more to the story than you are letting on? Confession is good for the soul. Their crime seems to be that they are concerned that you should not be left behind & that you are not part of the Israel of God, who can blame them for that after such attacks from youStick out tongue. What is wrong with that? what have dispensationalist done to you? The excuse that the devil made me say those comments will not do - resist him and he shall flee from youSmile

Are you not going outside your speciality which is original language into theology? Leave the dispensationalist alone & stop just talking them around Music hee-hee woh.Cool

Sir T

Ps I speak as one who is not a dispensationalist but have greatly benefited from their writing i. e Darrell Bock, Dan Wallace etc.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2009 8:05 AM

Ted Hans:

George Somsel:

George you sure don't like dispensationalist is there more to the story than you are letting on? Confession is good for the soul. Their crime seems to be that they are concerned that you should not be left behind & that you are not part of the Israel of God, who can blame them for that after such attacks from youStick out tongue. What is wrong with that? what have dispensationalist done to you? The excuse that the devil made me say those comments will not do - resist him and he shall flee from youSmile

Are you not going outside your speciality which is original language into theology? Leave the dispensationalist alone & stop just talking them around Music hee-hee woh.Cool

Sir T

Ps I speak as one who is not a dispensationalist but have greatly benefited from their writing i. e Darrell Bock, Dan Wallace etc.

I was raised in a church which taught dispensationalism.  I practically walked around with a Schofield Reference Bible in my hip pocket.  I'm familiar with all of their silly charts.  I know how they slice and dice scripture to make it say what they want it to say.  No, I'm not outside my field.  They make a mockery of scripture.  I'm opposed to it because I'm all too familiar with it and have come to see its errors.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2869
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2009 8:32 AM

George Somsel:

I was raised in a church which taught dispensationalism.  I practically walked around with a Schofield Reference Bible in my hip pocket.  I'm familiar with all of their silly charts.  I know how they slice and dice scripture to make it say what they want it to say.  No, I'm not outside my field.  They make a mockery of scripture.  I'm opposed to it because I'm all too familiar with it and have come to see its errors.

Thanks George for your response i get to know you better - An Anglican who was a dispensationalist, who went to Calvin college/seminary now finds himself on the left. Keep searching for the truth, take care & regards.

God Bless

Sir T
… search for truth, hear truth,
learn truth, love truth, speak the truth, hold the truth,
defend the truth till death.Big Smile

- Jan Hus

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 2268
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2009 9:36 AM

George, can we get a definition of what a kook is?  I am a dispensationalist so apparently I am a kook.  Just wondering if you or anyone else could shed light on the word so I can understand myself a bit better.

thanks in advance

Mark

Posts 2869
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2009 9:53 AM

MarkSwaim:

George, can we get a definition of what a kook is?  I am a dispensationalist so apparently I am a kook.  Just wondering if you or anyone else could shed light on the word so I can understand myself a bit better.

thanks in advance

Mark

kook
n. N. Amer. informal a mad or eccentric person.
     origin 1960s: prob. from cuckoo.

Soanes, C., & Stevenson, A. (2004). Concise Oxford English dictionary (11th ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press.

kook \ˈkük\ n
[by shortening & alter. fr. cuckoo] 1960 one whose ideas or actions are eccentric, fantastic, or insane screwball
———————
Merriam-Webster, I. (2003). Merriam-Webster's collegiate dictionary. Includes index. (Eleventh ed.). Springfield, Mass.: Merriam-Webster, Inc.

kook (kuːk) n US and Canadian informal an eccentric, crazy, or foolish person [c20: probably from cuckoo]
Collins English dictionary. 2006. Previous ed.: 2005.; Formerly CIP. (8th ed., Complete & unabridged ed.). Glasgow: HarperCollins.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2009 10:03 AM

MarkSwaim:

thanks in advance

Mark

Giving a definition of "kook" is somewhat difficult since it is a somewhat amorphus term which can vary somewhat.  I don't think I specifically called dispensationalists kooks though I would certainly admit that they are borderline.  What I was speaking of with regard to those who are gung ho on Bullinger's Companion Bible notes is the fact that there are notes relating to a gap theory in which there was supposedly another world before this one.  I think there are basically two reasons for this:

1. They need a previous world in order to attempt to explain the fossil record.
2. They are too tied to the AV of scripture and don't understand what the Hebrew actually says.  I caught a bit of "Coast to Coast AM" a number of months ago since I was working on something on my computer and didn't feel like getting up to walk across the room to change the station.  There was some guy talking about "replenishing" the earth.  The only places you will find that is in the AV and, if I remember correctly, the ASV.  In Hebrew there is no mention of "replenishing" as though there was something there which then became depleted or destroyed.  The Hebrew says "fill the earth."  This is the stuff of Bullinger and Coast to Coast AM and is kooky.

I should add that there is a group heavily into the internet whose "pastor" broadcasts to his "flock" which expounds this nonsense.  It's Shepherd's something-or-other, I forget precisely.  It'll probably come to me later.  I happened to get into an exchange with a member of this group in an internet forum some years ago and looked at some of their material on the internet -- it has something to do with planting and harvesting (their terms).  Totally goofy.   This group is heavily into Strong's numbers and his glosses, so now you know part of the reason why I so oppose them.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 2869
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2009 10:38 AM

George Somsel:
I don't think I specifically called dispensationalists kooks though I would certainly admit that they are borderline. 

In fairness to George he did not actually mention dispensationalist, i raised the issue due to previous exchange with him.

To my dispensationalist friends please don't take offence to George's remark as he George can come up with a lot of kooky remarks - i just don't take him seriously outside of the original language.Big Smile Do ignore his above comments about dispensationalism & the Companion Bible .

Sir T

Posts 2268
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2009 10:40 AM

George

I am a dispensationalist, but I do not subscribe to the Gap theory.  I also am not tied to the AV.  I think from what you have written, would you not agree that there are kooks in all groups?  Would it not be possible that some might consider you a kook?  Some might even say you are arrogant or ignorant.  Some might say of you "much learning has made thee mad".  Of course some might say that of Bullinger as well.  Everyone has their opinion and judgment on others whether they verbalize them or not...

Posts 36043
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2009 11:02 AM

MarkSwaim:
George, can we get a definition of what a kook is?

I can't resist butting in. In searching for uncommon creeds, I've found my own standard for kook-dom: someone who believes that the use of  text only, text in various colors and sizes of letters constitutes making a point.  I believe they have confused a printers' point with a logicians' point therfore allowing me to classifying them as "kooks"

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2869
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2009 11:13 AM

MJ. Smith:
I can't resist butting in. In searching for uncommon creeds, I've found my own standard for kook-dom: someone who believes that the use of  text only, text in various colors and sizes of letters constitutes making a point.  I believe they have confused a printers' point with a logicians' point therfore allowing me to classifying them as "kooks

Ha,ha,ha very profound MJ, i did not miss that hmmm.

Sir T

"Creation

We believe that the physical universe, the realm of nature, is the visible creation of God. All things created in 6 literal 24 hour days and not by an evolutionary process of eons of time (Genesis 1-2). Properly understood, God's Word (Scripture) and God's world (nature), as two revelations (one verbal, one physical) from the same God, will never contradict each other. "

from the Greenburg Church of Christ Creed

However, in finding this I discovered a typo in the text ... an extraneous "creation" after the final period. Trust me - I've frequently been told my mind works in truth tables.  If there is a hole in the logic, I'll find itSmile MJ

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2009 11:56 AM

MJ. Smith:

MarkSwaim:
George, can we get a definition of what a kook is?

I can't resist butting in. In searching for uncommon creeds, I've found my own standard for kook-dom: someone who believes that the use of  text only, text in various colors and sizes of letters constitutes making a point.  I believe they have confused a printers' point with a logicians' point therfore allowing me to classifying them as "kooks"

I couldn't agree more.  I know of a guy who is a KJOnlyist and has appeared on various forums (including b-greek and b-hebrew though he knows neither) who is continually trying to promote the Textus Receptus who puts various paragraphs in differing colors.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 2869
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2009 1:11 PM

MJ. Smith:

George Somsel:
I couldn't agree more.  I know of a guy who is a KJOnlyist and has appeared on various forums (including b-greek and b-hebrew though he knows neither) who is continually trying to promote the Textus Receptus who puts various paragraphs in differing colors.

How ironic George i am surprised that you walked straight into this Big Smile

Sir T

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2009 1:29 PM

Ted Hans:

MJ. Smith:

George Somsel:

How ironic George i am surprised that you walked straight into this Big Smile

Sir T

Quite deliberately.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2009 1:35 PM

MarkSwaim:

George

I am a dispensationalist, but I do not subscribe to the Gap theory.  I also am not tied to the AV.  I think from what you have written, would you not agree that there are kooks in all groups?  Would it not be possible that some might consider you a kook?  Some might even say you are arrogant or ignorant.  Some might say of you "much learning has made thee mad".  Of course some might say that of Bullinger as well.  Everyone has their opinion and judgment on others whether they verbalize them or not...

Thanks for saying all of that, Mark!

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2009 2:16 PM

That all being said, I'd still like to suggest that the side column notes and the appendixes of the Companion Bible by E.W. Bullinger be considered for inclusion into the Logos library.

There is a wealth of information in those notes.  Not all of them are correct, but then I have never run into a single reference where everything is correct.  I happen to find the information useful AND interesting and would like to have it in my Logos library.

Logos and Galaxie software both offer other works by Bullinger for Logos.  His work on Figures of Speech Used in the Bible is without peer.  I believe that I remember some of Bullinger's work is included in some Logos timeline add-on or something of the sort.

Since the work is out of copyright and is primarily English, one would think that it would be a cash cow for Logos.  The "kooks" would come in droves.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2009 2:54 PM

MikeM:

That all being said, I'd still like to suggest that the side column notes and the appendixes of the Companion Bible by E.W. Bullinger be considered for inclusion into the Logos library.

There is a wealth of information in those notes.  Not all of them are correct, but then I have never run into a single reference where everything is correct.  I happen to find the information useful AND interesting and would like to have it in my Logos library.

Logos and Galaxie software both offer other works by Bullinger for Logos.  His work on Figures of Speech Used in the Bible is without peer.  I believe that I remember some of Bullinger's work is included in some Logos timeline add-on or something of the sort.

Since the work is out of copyright and is primarily English, one would think that it would be a cash cow for Logos.  The "kooks" would come in droves.

And I might even buy it just to have the happy hunting grounds of the kooks available. 

You haven't read my book yet (since it isn't finished) so don't be too quick to judge that everything won't be correct.  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

Posts 411
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 6 2009 3:59 PM

George, all though we have not agreed previously and don't expect to now, I would ask that you refrain from disparaging remarks for those who do not agree with you. You are entitled to your opinion and though I may not agree with you I would not wish to call you a "kook" because of your honest beliefs. As a brother in Christ I would hope you would give the same consideration to others. I have yet to meet a man that has obtain a full understanding of the scriptures. You may very well be surprised on the day you meet the Lord to find out what you had right and what you had wrong.

Remember Isaiah 55:9

In Christ,

Ken

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Page 1 of 4 (72 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS