Page 2 of 4 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 62 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2009 3:49 PM

Pastor Jerry Bush:

Blessings to all of you in all size churches; Pastors, Sunday School teachers, small group leaders, etc. Blessings to you with 6K resources or the smallest Logos package available. Blessings to you whether you study with a computer or paper and pen (or both, like me). Keep preaching and teaching the Word of God, and may He bless you for it.

Jerry

Jerry, overall I was blessed by your response.  thanks!

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 427
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 19 2009 3:32 PM

Over the years, since 1993'sh, I would have to estimate in the range of $15k.   Really, all things considered (like since 1993) that isn't that bad.  I guess the thing that is astounding about it for most would be the fact that I am not in the ministry.  I just attended Bible college, got my Greek classes and went into business.  It was a mistake, but that is what happened.  

I just spent $750 last month!  Good grief, will it even ever end?  

BTW, I started with the basic Logos 1.x 3.5" disk for the KJV, and the Original Lang pack (purchased a few weeks later).

I think what keeps me buying is two fold: Maybe one day I will go to Seminary and will need the tools and finally, maybe there will be a church one day that needs a Sunday School teacher.  All the ones I have been to don't need anybody, ever.  But, I just have attended three, so my scope is kind of narrow.

Wilson Hines

Posts 2989
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 19 2009 7:19 PM

Wilson Hines:

I think what keeps me buying is two fold: Maybe one day I will go to Seminary and will need the tools and finally, maybe there will be a church one day that needs a Sunday School teacher.  All the ones I have been to don't need anybody, ever.  But, I just have attended three, so my scope is kind of narrow.

And in the meantime, you're able to do exactly what you would be doing if your #1 priority would be if you were in seminary or teaching: Feeding your own soul with the Word of God, and utilizing the rich assortment of tools available to help you accomplish that primary goal. We come to the Word of God to get the God of the Word...When pastors don't do that the effect is obvious. But business men need to be about the exact same thing; the necessity of spending time in the Word may not be as immediately evident for a business man, but the need is no less great. As a pastor, who works for a living in the medical field, I praise God for your endurance and for your priorities.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 19 2009 11:06 PM

RonaldQuick:
I try not to think about how much I have spent.

I try to not let my wife think about how much I have spent! Surprise

Posts 427
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 20 2009 6:55 PM

Jacob, you want to know my greatest fear? It is becoming like the Dead Sea.  Water goes INTO the Dead Sea and not OUT of the Dead Sea.  Thus, it becomes stale and what it has become.  Sometimes, I already feel like so.

Wilson Hines

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2009 8:19 AM

wow, i got an email notification of a post by Liow Hsiang, which was quite interesting--he chose not to get NIC for stewardship reasons--but the post does not appear here.  Maybe he deleted it.  I hope no one else did.

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2009 4:49 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:

Pastor Jerry Bush:
When it comes down to it, I use about 3-4 English bibles including the ESV Reverse Interlinear (what a revolution for me), about 6 commentaries, the basic original language tools, and a few other things. I take my study seriously, but there is a point to where I become overwhelmed with information.

This is a real issue that I have been thinking about... information overload. We have access to more information than ever through the computing age, yet I don't think we have fully come to grips with it.

The danger is that this dynamic begins spills over into Bible software. If one is not careful, you can think that if I just get a huge library of a 1,000 resources, it will make me a better studier of the Word.You run a report on a verse and get 30 to 40 hits on various resources, but in the midst of it get lost and side tracked. Or worse, nuggets of information or resources just get buried.

Sometimes less is more. It would be better to have a couple dozen resources that you really know how to use and digest, than 1,000s that you don't.

As we are looking to the next generation of Logos software, I really hope the brilliance of the design is the ability to manage the awesome mountain of resources that we now have. Otherwise, things will get buried or under utilized as libraries continue to grow.

Donovan, you hit the nail on the head. I found myself in that place more than once. I had the attitude that the more resources the better. I am one that has spent literally thousands, maybe more than ten thousand on Logos resources. I always felt that I had to have everything or I would miss something. It became so strong in me that I even found myself using someone's illegally shared license a couple years ago. I had this driving force in me to see what I was missing. But it cost me my reputation and much of my own investment. I hope that everyone here is aware that even in the Bible software world, we are susceptible to the lust for more. I know that this was not the motivation of this thread, but still felt motivated to post this response.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 22 2009 1:08 AM

Pastor Jerry Bush:
Really - how many resources do you need to preach the Word?

Hi Jerry

Well the more I have studied the bible the more I've realized how much I have to read widely to get a better understanding of the material that is there.  It isn't a trivial exercise to understand the social, historic, and cultural context of each passage.  For example, who would have known that the having a "good eye" (as opposed to having an "evil eye") is Hebraic idiom for having a generous disposition?  Or that "binding and loosing" is the authority required to make common law rulings needed for applying the Mosaic commandments?  Or that to "destroy the law" means to incorrectly interpret the scripture and to "fulfill" it means to correctly interpret it?  These are all Hebraic idioms that can't be known without wide reading.  Logos is useful because it makes a wide set of resources quickly accessible.

I would venture to say that the issue of whether or not people have sufficient funds to feed themselves is more to do with whether or not people have an "evil eye" than with overspending on bible software programs.  It is a commandment to give to the poor, and to look after the needy.  Who will soften their hearts to give in such a time as this?

Tony

Posts 232
Genghis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 22 2009 1:16 AM

Jacob Hantla:
But business men need to be about the exact same thing; the necessity of spending time in the Word may not be as immediately evident for a business man, but the need is no less great.

I couldn't agree more.  Whether you are a professional pastor or a businessman or professional sportsperson, all are part of the Royal Priesthood called to minister to Mankind through teaching God's ways, interceding on its behalf and presenting the Gospel.    As all are Priests, all have a duty to study the bible to the best of one's ability.  In fact, an argument could be made that anyone who isn't a professional minister/pastor/clergyperson is just a tentmaker in the mold of Paul (whether they know it or not).

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 22 2009 5:55 AM

In response to the original question, I have spent $1758.89 since I first purchased Logos in 2005 (for a total of 924 resources).  Oddly enough, I only have the Bible Sudy edition and have made numerous purchases without ever upgrading to Scholar's.  The two library builder packages were great purchases.  I hope to make the jump to Scholar's edition at some point when the $$$ is available.  Even thought $1700 seems like a lot of money, making smaller purchases here and there over time doesn't seem like that big of a deal until I started adding things up...

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 22 2009 6:02 AM

Is it a bad thing if my response is "more then my wife knows about?"

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 22 2009 7:45 AM

Philip Spitzer:

Is it a bad thing if my response is "more then my wife knows about?"

Only if she reads the forums.  Oh, hello there Mrs. Spitzer!  Surprise

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 22 2009 8:21 AM

i guess i will continue with this alternating "justification" and "hand-wringing" over how much we spend.  I DO justify spending on set or books that I may not use now because they are fundamental or foundational works--and I want to build a digital library at the best price for those works., even if I may not use them for a year or two.

But I must note, I have benefited by putting books in collections, searching those collections, and finding nuggets, that in some ways ARE worth it, even if it cost me $100 for that nugget.  Obviously I still have spending limitations, so I guess some nuggets will remain for others to mine.

Now, if I just "add add add" and never use, it is a waste of money.

I wonder how digital libraries, online, will affect my need for Logos books in the future . . .

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 22 2009 9:08 AM

Pastor Jerry Bush:

I would say:  NA27
                   BHS 4.2
                   BDAG
                   HALOT
                   BDB
                   Robertson:  A Hitorical Grammar...
                   Gesenius (or Joüon-Muraoka) A Grammar of Biblical Hebrew
                   Perhaps an English bible or two
                   A good set of commentaries would be nice

Other than that, nothing is really necessary.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 22 2009 9:15 AM

I can see it now.  Choose between Home Bible study, pastoral collection, scholars collections or... the Somsel collection.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 2837
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 22 2009 9:34 AM

Thomas Black:

I can see it now.  Choose between Home Bible study, pastoral collection, scholars collections or... the Somsel collection.

I like that Thomas. Good idea, it brought a smile to my face - the Somsel collection.Yes

Ted.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 22 2009 9:45 AM

Daniel DeVilder:
I wonder how digital libraries, online, will affect my need for Logos books in the future . . .

Daniel,

It is not beyond my imagiation to see a day whe you pay an annual subscription fee to access "everything" (or at least a certain level of content.) I do not know how to transition everyone from private ownership mentality to corporate usage mentality, . Americans in particular like to OWN stuff they use. Other societies, from historic Native American to Japanese to Eastern/Soviet Bloc, have no problem understanding we actually don't own anything, we are just stewards of what we have. There may be a dual model system in coming decades. 

Of coure,  My bumper sticker reads "You can take my Logos software when you pry it from my cold dead computer"  Computer

(for my friends across the pond: In America gun owners frequently have a similar bumper sticker about not giving up their guns.) 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 22 2009 10:15 AM

George Somsel:

Pastor Jerry Bush:

I would say:  NA27
                   BHS 4.2
                   BDAG
                   HALOT
                   BDB
                   Robertson:  A Hitorical Grammar...
                   Gesenius (or Joüon-Muraoka) A Grammar of Biblical Hebrew
                   A good set of commentaries would be nice

Other than that, nothing is really necessary.

Ha, I was waiting for you George to comment that forum. It works like a Swiss watch Smile I like your list by the way, but somehow you forgot to include the Reverse Interlinears. Was it intentional? Cool

Bohuslav

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 22 2009 10:24 AM

George Somsel:

What would be your recommendation for a good English Translation George? What would be your Top 2 - 3 translations? What is your opinion about the NET Bible?

Bohuslav

Posts 2837
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 22 2009 10:39 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

George Somsel:

What would be your recommendation for a good English Translation George? What would be your Top 2 - 3 translations? What is your opinion about the NET Bible?

NRSV would be one just leaves two more for George to answer. I will be surprise if the NRSV does not make it into his top three.
Ted.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Page 2 of 4 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS