Resource Question: "GMSDT"

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1991
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 11 2010 5:56 PM

When I have the Lexham SGNT Notes up, if I hover over a part of speech (e.g. "indicative"), it pops up a definition of that part of speech and in the lower right of that popup has the text "{part-of-speech} | GMSDT". No matter what part of speech I see, it has those letters "GMSDT".

I'm assuming that's shorthand for the resource from which these definitions come. However (and assuming that's a correct understanding), I can't find the full name of that resource.

Can anyone explain that to me? Thanks,

Donnie

Posts 1991
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 11 2010 6:11 PM

I found it - Heiser's "Glossary of Morpho-Syntactic Database Terminology".

If they're going to use that acronym so prevalently, the resource should show up in our library when we type it as a filter (a la "BDAG"); and a search for it on the web site ought to yield a result.

Donnie

Posts 19216
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 11 2010 7:28 PM

Indeed, that shortcut should be the default "Short title" for the Glossary of Morpho-Syntactic Database Terminology. You can edit the Short title yourself and set it to GMSDT so you can find it again easily.

1. In the Library, open up the book's Info Panel by selecting that book and clicking on the icon.
  2. Click on "Short title"
  3. Type the shortcut you want to use for this book, and press Enter.

However I've added this to the Metadata correction proposals page on the wiki.

Posts 19216
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 11 2010 7:40 PM

Incidentally, I'm not sure how you ended up finding this resource, but one way you could have done so would have been to search for a unique phrase that you found in one of the part of speech definitions. For example, in the popup for preposition includes this text: "a word that helps express the relationship"; when I searched for that phrase (in quotes) I found the GMSDT.

Posts 26588
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 12 2010 4:53 PM

Rosie Perera:
Incidentally, I'm not sure how you ended up finding this resource,

Just click on the hyperlink in the SGNT Notes!

GMSDT has no text entry box so i added that to your entry in Metadata_correction_proposals

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19216
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 12 2010 5:56 PM

Dave Hooton:

GMSDT has no text entry box so i added that to your entry in Metadata_correction_proposals

What do you mean by a "text entry box"? Do you mean a Reference box, for jumping directly to a particular definition? If so, I don't think that's a metadata problem, but an indexing problem, to be reported on Books Missing Pagination and Other Indexes (which is linked from the Metadata correction proposals page.

Posts 26588
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 13 2010 1:37 AM

Rosie Perera:
If so, I don't think that's a metadata problem, but an indexing problem, to be reported on Books Missing Pagination and Other Indexes (which is linked from the Metadata correction proposals page.

I debated where to put it, because it has an index (Morphology Field) and it is classed as an Encylopedia. Now I see that A Systematic Glossary to the Andersen-Forbes Analysis of the Hebrew Bible has the same (and only) index and also lacks a text box, but it is classified as a Monograph!  I see there is a Proposal to make it type:Dictionary (probably Encyclopedia now). More importantly, I see that there is no Text box for these resources in L3 so I'll withdraw the proposal and quietly debate whether they are Encyclopedias or notSmile

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 13 2010 3:21 AM

Donnie Hale:
When I have the Lexham SGNT Notes up, if I hover over a part of speech (e.g. "indicative"), it pops up a definition of that part of speech and in the lower right of that popup has the text "{part-of-speech} | GMSDT". No matter what part of speech I see, it has those letters "GMSDT".

If you click on the part of speech, rather than hover over it, it would open the GMSDT resource.

Posts 19216
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 13 2010 4:50 PM

Dave Hooton:

I debated where to put it, because it has an index (Morphology Field) and it is classed as an Encylopedia. Now I see that A Systematic Glossary to the Andersen-Forbes Analysis of the Hebrew Bible has the same (and only) index and also lacks a text box, but it is classified as a Monograph!  I see there is a Proposal to make it type:Dictionary (probably Encyclopedia now). More importantly, I see that there is no Text box for these resources in L3 so I'll withdraw the proposal and quietly debate whether they are Encyclopedias or notSmile

I think that A Systematic Glossary to the Andersen-Forbes Analysis of the Hebrew Bible is properly classified as a Monograph, since it is not in alphabetical order as an Enclopedia should be. It is strange to me that it has an index, because it is not presented in an order that such an indexed makes sense. To me, an indexed resource is one which has entries in a certain order (e.g., alphabetic or biblical canonical) which you can navigate to one of those entries directly by that order. Since the A-F Glossary is presented in chapters with the morphological terms scattered all about in it (granted, in alphabetical order within each chapter), with no structural guarantee that each term appears exactly once in the book (though that is perhaps the case), I would not expect to be able to navigate to one of those terms from the reference box. However it would be helpful to have a traditional alphabetic index at the end of the resource that would list what page(s) each term appeared on, from which you could jump to those occurrences. This resource is not paginated, though, so I'm not sure how that would work. Perhaps if each term does indeed appear only once, an alphabetic index could provide direct links to jump to the terms.

Unlike the A-F Glossary, the Glossary of Morpho-Syntactic Database Terminology is presented as a true Encylopedia: unique entries in alphabetical order with descriptions.

Posts 26588
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 13 2010 9:11 PM

Rosie Perera:
Unlike the A-F Glossary, the Glossary of Morpho-Syntactic Database Terminology is presented as a true Encylopedia: unique entries in alphabetical order with descriptions.

They are unique within the main headings of Greek and Hebrew & Aramaic! Perhaps they should both be type:monograph, but I'll settle for consistency and both being encylopedias -  they are similar to the other Syntax "glossary" resources.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 36
Maria V.Garrido | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 2 2012 6:51 PM

My Logos 4.6 does not have "short title."

Posts 26588
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 2 2012 7:00 PM

Maria V.Garrido:

My Logos 4.6 does not have "short title."

It will only show Short title if it did not have a "short title"

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 36
Maria V.Garrido | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 2 2012 8:11 PM

This is what mine looks like:

Posts 737
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 2 2012 8:22 PM

Hello Maria,

You must view it in the library, not in the book, as shown below.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Posts 36
Maria V.Garrido | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 2 2012 9:08 PM

Thank you. That did it. 

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS