USING TVM

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
John David Benson | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 11 2010 10:32 PM

I am new to all things related to logos.  I am writing a paper in which I need to filter out certain Hebrew forms in the OT (such as all qal infinitives).  

First, do I need to purchase Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia before TVM will work in Libronix?  Second, will those/any tools allow me to filter such material out of the text?

Thank-you for your time 

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 11 2010 11:03 PM

First, no. You can use any Morphologically tagged English Bible (e.g., ESV, NKJV, NRSV). But if you're learning about Hebrew forms in the OT, I'm guessing you'll eventually want to own a morphologically tagged edition of BHS anyway.

Second, use Morph Search to find all occurrances of a certain form:

I've forgotten much of my Hebrew grammar, so I can't remember if you'd want to select "Infinitive Absolute" or "Infinitive Construct" to get a basic infinitive. But this is the menu where you'd make your selection. To get it, click on the Search icon to open a search tab, click on Morph to get a morphological search, make sure "All Morph Text" and "All Passages" are selected, choose the Bible version you want to use (which will force the morphology selection for you), then type @ to bring up the morph selection menu. As you click on selections there, it will build up the morph search codes for you (e.g. @Vq as above will find all qal verbs).

For more info on Morph Search, see http://wiki.logos.com/Morphological_Search.

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 12 2010 12:26 AM

Rosie Perera:
I've forgotten much of my Hebrew grammar, so I can't remember if you'd want to select "Infinitive Absolute" or "Infinitive Construct" to get a basic infinitive.

You can search for both by clicking the first, then CTRL+clicking the second.

Posts 4
John David Benson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 12 2010 8:41 AM

Thank-you for explaining that to me.  Yet, as a follow-up question.  I have only downloaded libronix.  Therefore, if I purchase and download a morphologically tagged BHS, I could run such a search?

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 12 2010 10:40 AM

John David Benson:

Thank-you for explaining that to me.  Yet, as a follow-up question.  I have only downloaded libronix.  Therefore, if I purchase and download a morphologically tagged BHS, I could run such a search?

Ah, sorry, I missed that one word in your original post. My answer applies to Logos 4 only. I don't know how to use the morph search feature in Logos 3 (Libronix), but presumably it would be analagous somehow. I don't know whether Libronix had reverse interlinears with morphological tagging. If it did, you wouldn't need to purchase the morphologically tagged BHS. If it didn't, then yes if you purchased the BHS you'd be able to run this search. Libronix had a better Help file than Logos 4, I believe. So you could probably figure out how to do the Morph Search in it from that. Unless someone else pipes in here with instructions for Libronix.

Posts 27232
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 12 2010 5:32 PM

John David Benson:

The Hebrew Morphological Bible Search (in Search menu) is fairly easy to use. If you have the ESV English-Hebrew Reverse Interlinear then you can use the Andersen-Forbes morphology for the search. But you may not have either if you just downloaded Libronix without purchasing a base library. What library or collection of resources do you have?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 12 2010 6:47 PM

John David Benson:

Absolutely, if you purchase a Morphologically Tagged Hebrew Bible you can run morph searches on it, whether you use Libronix or Logos 4.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS