Need help in Seminary please anyone

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 17
Pastor Pearlie Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 15 2010 2:15 PM

1. Propose how the stories relating to “brothers” in Genesis (Cain/Able, Isaac/Ishmael, Jacob/Esau) may be pointing us to the larger issue of the way in which Israel conceives of dealing with its political neighbors.  

hey guy I really need help answering this question  I'm in seminary student I understand the problem between Cain and Able  God Favored Able's Offering over Cain 

God also favored Isaac over Ismeal 

when it comes to Esua and Jacob  this what I most need help with 

Posts 9945
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2010 2:21 PM

Jerry v. Morgan:

1. Propose how the stories relating to “brothers” in Genesis (Cain/Able, Isaac/Ishmael, Jacob/Esau) may be pointing us to the larger issue of the way in which Israel conceives of dealing with its political neighbors.  

hey guy I really need help answering this question  I'm in seminary student I understand the problem between Cain and Able  God Favored Able's Offering over Cain 

God also favored Isaac over Ismeal 

I'm not sure what your problem is with this, but it seems to me that the issue is God's sovereign election.  "Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated" to quote Paul.in Rom 9.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1328
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2010 3:35 PM

This book applies directly to all those stories, but I haven't read it, can't say if it gets political. You might also want to check out exegesis on Lot's daughters, which explicitly is political.

http://www.amazon.ca/When-Brothers-Dwell-Together-Preeminence/dp/0195082532

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 9917
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2010 4:44 PM

Wow. Esau vs Jacob would be the easy one, especially since Babylon funded Moab/Edom prior to the exile. Talk about a parallel.

Posts 13
JesseJahn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2010 4:44 PM

I apologize....my first response was against the rules.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2010 7:34 PM

While question interesting, wondering how to answer using Logos Bible Software - per forum guidelines => http://community.logos.com/forums/t/10072.aspx

Wondering about Logos search strategy for finding relevant information (or opinions) in library resources ?

Jerry v. Morgan:

Basic search "Esau AND Jacob AND supplanter" initially comes to mind, could add "AND wives"

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2175
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2010 7:36 PM

Jacob learned to rely on God. Is that particularly political? I don't know? There are scores of lessons in his dealings with Laban as well as Esau and wrestling with God. Not by might nor by power but by my Spirit...

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS