New Unofficial Tutorial Video: Highlighting

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 16 2010 2:19 PM

Highlighting allows you to mark up a Bible or other resource as if you're using a highlighting pen. In this video we see how to apply and erase highlighting, and how to use keyboard shortcuts to make highlighting even easier. We look at creating custom highlighting palettes and styles, how to turn highlighting on or off in a resource. We finish by restricting a search to only highlighted text, and adding highlighted verses to a passage list.

Other Videos Also Available

• Logos Tutorial Video #1 - Installation and indexing (6:28) - This video covers installing Logos, signing in and first-time indexing.
  • Logos Tutorial Video #2 - First steps (23:05) - This video covers the absolute basic of using Logos Bible Software: finding, opening and reading a book; the Home Page and "Go" button; setting your preferred Bible. It introduces the three guides: Passage Guide, Exegetical Guide and Bible Word Study, and demonstrates searching, before showing you how to resize and move panels and tabs.
  • Logos Tutorial Video #3 - Bible Facts (15:53) - This video covers Biblical People, Biblical Places, and Biblical Things. It shows how to access these tools, and how to use them, including power tips such as zooming and measuring distances.
  • Logos Tutorial Video #4 - Searching (35:13) - This video covers the most commonly used search features in Basic and Bible searches. We look at the different search views, at topics and reading lists, and phrase-searching and wildcards. We show how to limit the search to part of your library, or to a part of the Bible. The search operators AND, OR, ANDNOT and NEAR are introduced, and we look at how to search in Greek or Hebrew.
  • Logos Tutorial Video #5 - Reverse Interlinears (38:42) - This video is about reverse interlinears. I try to demonstrate the difference between a reverse interlinear and a traditional interlinear, and why reverse interlinears are so useful. We look at the various viewing options, and there's a fairly full demonstration of the right-click menu. Finally I look at Strong's Numbers and Louw-Nida numbers, and try to show why Louw-Nida are far more useful than Strong's, at least in the NT.
  • Logos Tutorial Video #6 - Favorites (22:28) - This video shows four ways of creating favorites (and how to ensure whether they will always open to a specific point or whether they'll open to their most recent position), how to delete and rename them, two ways of re-ordering favorites, how to create and organise folders, the difference between favorites and bookmarks, how to add web links and files as favorites, and how you can resize the apparently unresizeable favorites tool.
  • Logos Tutorial Video #7 - Clippings (13:31) - In this video we look at what clippings are, creating a clippings file, adding tags and notes, viewing bibliographic information about clippings, deleting and undeleting a clipping, re-ordering clippings and deleting an entire clippings file.
  • Logos Tutorial Video #8 - Passage Lists (19:20) - Passage lists are exactly what you'd expect - they're lists of Bible passages or verses. In this video we see how to add passages to a passage list through one a six different methods: (a) adding individual passages one at a time, (b) by selecting text from a resource, (c) by loading a text file, (d) by loading a web page, (e) by pasting from the clipboard, and (f) directly from Bibles and other resources. We also cover undoing additions, and deleting passages and passage lists; creating passage lists from search results; re-ordering passage lists; displaying passage lists in multiple versions; adding headings; and finally how to restrict bible searches to a passage list.
Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 16 2010 2:40 PM

Mark,

I honestly cannot thank you enough.  And I thank God for your contributions to those of us who are hungry to learn more about Logos 4.   YesYesYes

Posts 25469
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2010 3:55 AM

Hi Mark

I have just watched this for the first time - great video, many thanks

Just one thing. At about 15:42 in you say that you can only search on highlighters in a Basic search not a Bible one.

It does seem to work in a Bible search as well so I may be missing what you mean.

Graham

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2010 4:35 AM

Graham Criddle:
It does seem to work in a Bible search as well so I may be missing what you mean.

Graham, you're quite right. I had tested it before creating the video, but I must have made a mistake when I did (probably I inadvertently only had one Bible selected when I ran the test, and that Bible didn't have highlighting in it).

I'll upload a corrected video in the next hour or so. Thanks for spotting the error.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS