What's your favorite undocumented feature?

Page 1 of 4 (79 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 78 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 19 2010 1:20 AM

I'm conscious that there are lots of little undocumented features in Logos. What's your favourite little feature that most users won't know about? Here's mine:

• You can not only search WITHIN WORDS, but WITHIN CHARS.
  • SHIFT+dragging a tab moves the entire panel, not just the current tab (and CTRL+drag copies the current tab, and SHIFT+CTRL+drag copies the entire panel).
  • And my new-found favourite: double-clicking the empty space in the tab bar (next to the plus) opens up the next parallel resource in a new tab.

Full disclosure: I'll be shamelessly stealing your tips to include in future editions of my tutorial videos!

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 25973
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 1:25 AM

I find that clicking the middle mouse button on a tab to close it is much more useful than I thought it would be!

Posts 19692
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 2:22 AM

My favorite undocumented feature is Facilitate Serendipitous Discovery (FSD).

It's not undocumented, but I'd never learned it before. Dave Hooton mentioned recently that you can use BEFORE 2-2 WORDS to ensure exact proximity, which is a special case of BEFORE x-y WORDS to give a proxmity range. That bit is mentioned in the wiki under Search_HELP, but it's quite buried. I'd read that page several times and never picked this up before. In fact, none of the search syntax is explained in the Help file.

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 3:47 AM

Rosie Perera:
That bit is mentioned in the wiki under Search_HELP, but it's quite buried. I'd read that page several times and never picked this up before

That's because I added it when Dave mentioned it, because I didn't know about it before, either!

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 4:22 AM

Mark Barnes:
  • And my new-found favourite: double-clicking the empty space in the tab bar (next to the plus) opens up the next parallel resource in a new tab).
  •  

This is SO COOL! Thanks Mark!

Posts 1680
    Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 4:23 AM

I keep this search on my shortcut bar.  It allows me to look, by hovering, at every English translation on a short or long passage quickly.  Then I can click on any or all I am interested in looking at by simply clicking on it and it opens in another panel.  There is no quicker way that I know to see quickly what every translation says about your passage of interest. The verse you click on is also the verse it opens to.  To look at long chapter in the text comparison tool using every English Bible wouldn't allow you to quickly see differences in certain verses, but you can use both methods side by side or use multiple text comparisons with different collections, but if you are in a hurry, this method is fast.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 1523
    Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 4:51 AM

I know this isn't a feature, it's closer to an Easter egg. But I've noticed that sometimes when I click to get any resources information and the screen rotates you get a quick glimpse of this strange colored background (it seems to happen randomly and doesn't happen often). To me it appears to be snow covered trees (and maybe a swan??).  Does anyone else see this? Or am I going crazy?

Posts 27978
    Forum MVP
    Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 4:56 AM

Mark Barnes:

• That's new to me!

Dave
    ===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 13428
    Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 4:58 AM

Joshua Garcia:
    I know this isn't a feature, it's closer to an Easter egg. But I've noticed that sometimes when I click to get any resources information and the screen rotates you get a quick glimpse of this strange colored background (it seems to happen randomly and doesn't happen often). To me it appears to be snow covered trees (and maybe a swan??).  Does anyone else see this? Or am I going crazy?

It's a Mac feature. It's Narnia.

Posts 13428
    Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 5:02 AM

Dave Hooton:

Mark Barnes:

• That's new to me!

Bradley mentioned it yesterday. Had you tried it earlier, or is it new?

Posts 1523
    Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 5:11 AM

Mark Barnes:

Joshua Garcia:

It's a Mac feature. It's Narnia.

Thanks for the link to the thread. That's interesting indeed. Is there any other Easter eggs I should know about?

Posts 19692
    Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 5:14 AM

Mark Barnes:

Dave Hooton:

Mark Barnes:

• That's new to me!

I remember someone explicitly telling us that the CHARS proximity measure hadn't been implemented in L4; it was only in L3. But I guess now it is in L4 too.

Posts 19692
    Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 5:23 AM

Jerry M:
    I keep this search on my shortcut bar.  It allows me to look, by hovering, at every English translation on a short or long passage quickly.

Clever! Are you positive that search will find every verse? I thought I'd come up with an example of one it would skip: John 11:35 ("Jesus wept" in most translations). But it does get picked up because some translations have it as "And Jesus wept." But couldn't there be a verse which really doesn't have any of those words in it, in any translation, that we just haven't thought of yet? I suppose if you ever found one, you could just add one more word from that verse to your search string.

Posts 27978
    Forum MVP
    Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 5:34 AM

Mark Barnes:

I hadn't tried it  because the functionality of real Words was what I had wanted for so long with L3! Not being a Mac person, I hadn't seen Bradley's post; so he'll be the one to state how long it has been available. There are some other undocumented search features but, again, Bradley is the man to talk about their status.

Dave
    ===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1674
    Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 5:42 AM

Dumb question: Why would any software have undocumented features?

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 13428
    Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 6:04 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undocumented_feature

In Logos' case, I think it's mainly due to that lack of investment in documentation. That sometimes frustrates me, but it's partly justified by the fact that not many people read it anyway, partly because documentation is less necessary when a program is as intuitive as Logos (though opinions will vary on that point), and partly because the company have invested significantly in encouraging 'self-help' through the forums, wiki and blog.

Posts 27978
    Forum MVP
    Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 6:05 AM

Paul Golder:

Dumb question: Why would any software have undocumented features?

In the case of Logos, search operators and search syntax are not documented - we're still running blind on what is a valid query with the operators we know about from the wiki!

For the most part, an undocumented feature tends to so esoteric that only geeks would want to know (the developers may not even know!).

Dave
    ===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1674
    Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 6:31 AM

Mark Barnes:
    partly because the company have invested significantly in encouraging 'self-help' through the forums, wiki and blog

Dave Hooton:
    an undocumented feature tends to so esoteric that only geeks would want to know

Is there a wiki page for undocumented features?

Perhaps a section of the wiki devoted to documentation in general (for us strange types that like to read the manual...)?

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 8967
    RIP
    Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 7:57 AM

Dave Hooton:
    For the most part, an undocumented feature tends to so esoteric that only geeks would want to know (the developers may not even know!).

I am hoping the developers are leaving enough comments within the code for future programmers to know what is going on.  They are,  aren't they? Indifferent

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9552
    Forum MVP
    Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 7:59 AM

Jerry M:
    I keep this search on my shortcut bar.

There is another way to accomplish something like this by using the Text Comparison tool. First create a collection of the Bibles you want to compare. Next open text compare and select that collection in the drop down version list. Now drag the text compare tab to Favorites. Next drag from Favorites to the menu bar and drop.

To activate this you have to click on the new Menu Bar icon, once Text Compare opens you will see the standard Bibles list, click on the icon again and it will switch to the list you saved before. I don't know why it works like this (it is undocumented) but it does. Unfortunately you cannot force Text Compare to open to the panel of your choice.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 4 (79 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS