Greek/Hebrew DVD: Why an update?

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 33 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 26
Gregory Kedrovsky | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 19 2010 7:12 PM

I just got an e-mail from Logos saying I should download three files (several gigabytes each) or wait for a DVD to be mailed to me because they updated the videos. 

Does anyone know what was updated? I'm sitting in Central America with no disk space and a mail system that's sorely lacking. I have the "first edition" of the DVD with me (waiting for the "spare time" to work through it... which was going to December!). And now... it's bad? 

What was updated? Why? Does anyone have any idea? Or, better yet, would anyone at Logos care to give us a better explanation of the "update" -- better what was "explained" in the e-mail sent out today? I'd really appreciate it.

Greg

Posts 13428
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 7:18 PM

There were some errors in the initial DVD, mainly with the Greek lessons. Some factual, some quality problems (particular with audio volume). The problems are documented on the Wiki:

This is my personal Faithlife account. On 1 March 2022, I started working for Faithlife, and have a new 'official' user account. Posts on this account shouldn't be taken as official Faithlife views!

Posts 9553
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 7:36 PM

Greg,

Order the DVD but go ahead when you have time and view the one you have. Except for some of the bigger errors pointed out in the threads Mark pointed you to, you will not suffer from spending time going through the lessons. I'm sure the video quality will be improved for the new edition, and the errors corrected, so when it comes switch over to that.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 7:47 PM

If you choose to download the two Greek files, will you be able to have one table of contents for the videos in both files, like you did when some of us loaded the videos on to our hard drive the first time?

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 2004
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 8:07 PM

Does this mean that if I order the DVDs now (I don't have them currently - old or new), I'll get the new ones. I didn't see anything on the product page to the effect that the new ones will now ship for new buyers.

Donnie

Posts 19705
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2010 8:53 PM

Donnie Hale:

Does this mean that if I order the DVDs now (I don't have them currently - old or new), I'll get the new ones. I didn't see anything on the product page to the effect that the new ones will now ship for new buyers.

Yes. They wouldn't ship old ones if they have the new ones available now. The old ones were buggy. They've surely already trashed (or recycled) any remaining stock of the old DVDs that they had.

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2010 11:50 AM

Gregory Kedrovsky:

I just got an e-mail from Logos saying I should download three files (several gigabytes each) or wait for a DVD to be mailed to me because they updated the videos. 

Does anyone know what was updated? I'm sitting in Central America with no disk space and a mail system that's sorely lacking. I have the "first edition" of the DVD with me (waiting for the "spare time" to work through it... which was going to December!). And now... it's bad? 

What was updated? Why? Does anyone have any idea? Or, better yet, would anyone at Logos care to give us a better explanation of the "update" -- better what was "explained" in the e-mail sent out today? I'd really appreciate it.

Greg

I didn't receive an e-mail from Logos and I own the old "buggy" DVDs.

Posts 26
Gregory Kedrovsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2010 12:49 PM

Joshua Garcia:

Give them a call during their working hours on Monday. I'm sure they'll give you the same info they gave me. Just have your order number handy, if you still have it.

~Greg

Posts 19705
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2010 6:02 PM

Joshua Garcia:

Here are the instructions from the email I got. If you bought the DVDs before, this should work for you:

We have recently released updates for all the videos.

1. View your orders at https://www.logos.com/user/orders

2. Click on the order number next to Learn to Use Biblical Greek and Hebrew with Logos Bible Software. This will take you to the Order Summary page.

3. Scroll to the bottom and download Hebrew-v2.zip, Greek-v2.zip (Part 1), and Greek-v2.zip (Part 2).

4. After you download, unzip the files and move them to the directory where your Learn to Use Biblical Greek and Hebrew with Logos Bible Software videos are saved.

Posts 59
Adam Lambert | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2010 10:26 PM

I downloaded the updated versions but it tells me the Hebrew one is corrupt and won't allow me to get all the files out of it. I downloaded it twice just in case it was a mess up in the original download. Did anyone else have this issue?

Posts 19705
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2010 11:58 PM

Adam Lambert:

I downloaded the updated versions but it tells me the Hebrew one is corrupt and won't allow me to get all the files out of it. I downloaded it twice just in case it was a mess up in the original download. Did anyone else have this issue?

Some people seem to be having problems with them; others aren't. See http://community.logos.com/forums/t/26322.aspx

What unzip tool are you using to try to get the files out of the zip file? Try a different one. The one built in to Windows Vista seems to work fine for me, but there are others available for free. There's WinZip for Windows; someone said StuffIt Expander works fine too and it has a Mac version.

Posts 10893
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 3:35 AM

Rosie Perera:
What unzip tool are you using to try to get the files out of the zip file? Try a different one. The one built in to Windows Vista seems to work fine for me, but there are others available for free. There's WinZip for Windows; someone said StuffIt Expander works fine too and it has a Mac version.

The compression utility built into the Mac OS unzipped the Hebrew videos without incident, but would not recognize the Greek ones as zip archives. Stuffit Expander unzipped those correctly.

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 4:02 AM

Rosie Perera:

Here are the instructions from the email I got. If you bought the DVDs before, this should work for you:

This worked. Thanks. Good thing I have a terabyte hard drive.

Posts 218
Dudley Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 8:20 AM

Yup, Stuffit Expander does the trick.  It has a Windows version, and I can confirm it works when no other Windows zip decoder I tried would.

Dudley

Posts 59
Adam Lambert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 1:50 PM

I use winrar to unzip everything.

Posts 26
Gregory Kedrovsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 1:58 PM

7-Zip seems to work well, too. Although... with my wonderful (sarcasm... sorry...) internet connection here in Costa Rica, I still haven't been able to get all the files. What a pain...

But, I do like 7-Zip. http://www.7-zip.org/ It's available for various operating systems, which keeps all those penguin people happy! http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

~Greg

Posts 59
Adam Lambert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 2:00 PM

ok thanks I will try those you suggest and see what happens.

Posts 19705
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 2:01 PM

Gregory Kedrovsky:
Although... with my wonderful (sarcasm... sorry...) internet connection here in Costa Rica, I still haven't been able to get all the files. What a pain...

You might need to use a download manager that supports resuming where you left off in case your internet connection drops midway through downloading a huge file. There are plenty of free ones available. Just Google "download manager" resume and you should find some that have that feature.

Posts 26
Gregory Kedrovsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 2:09 PM

Rosie Perera:
You might need to use a download manager that supports resuming where you left off in case your internet connection drops midway through downloading a huge file. There are plenty of free ones available. Just Google "download manager" resume and you should find some that have that feature.

Yeah... I used to use wget when I was still able to use Linux (Slackware mostly). Now that I'm in Windows I hadn't really thought about it. Good idea, though. Thanks.

The main problem I've been having is corrupt files. I supposedly get the whole zipped file, and then when I open it, it's corrupted and I have to start all over. The connections down here are so slow that one download takes between 12 and 20 hours (for the Hebrew portion). The time extends... as does the propensity for corruption... whenever I use my computer because I'm constantly on the Net (i.e. Logos is running, e-mail, I maintain web sites, etc.). 

I may just have to wait for my shiny, new DVD and call it good enough. :-)

I'll try a download manager in winders, though. Thank you for the suggestion! 

~Greg

Posts 19705
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 2:28 PM

Gregory Kedrovsky:
The main problem I've been having is corrupt files. I supposedly get the whole zipped file, and then when I open it, it's corrupted and I have to start all over.

It's not actually corrupted. Some unzip utilities are having problems opening it, and it appears to be corrupted, but people have had universal success with Stuffit Expander. There seem to be different ZIP file formats around, and Logos must have zipped it in some way that is not compatible with XP's built-in unzip utility and some others.

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS