Greek/Hebrew DVD: Why an update?

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 33 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 26
Gregory Kedrovsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 2:41 PM

Rosie Perera:
It's not actually corrupted. Some unzip utilities are having problems opening it, and it appears to be corrupted, but people have had universal success with Stuffit Expander. There seem to be different ZIP file formats around, and Logos must have zipped it in some way that is not compatible with XP's built-in unzip utility and some others.

Well... without an MD5 (or some other hash) it's hard to say definitively that it's not corrupted. I have no way of checking the file integrity after download.

But... that said... I just downloaded the free version of Stuffit to give it a try. Thanks. :-)

Greg

Posts 59
Adam Lambert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 4:42 PM

I tried 7 zip and here is the result:

0 Unsupported compression method for "Hebrew09-verbmoods.mov"

10 and 11 are the same thing

Posts 19262
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 5:50 PM

Adam Lambert:

I tried 7 zip and here is the result:

0 Unsupported compression method for "Hebrew09-verbmoods.mov"

10 and 11 are the same thing

Try StuffIt Expander. That one seems to support the compression method they used. In the meantime, I will contact Logos and let them know lots of people are having problems unzipping these files.

Posts 59
Adam Lambert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 5:56 PM

don't have the funds to buy it.

Posts 26
Gregory Kedrovsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 6:10 PM

Adam Lambert:
don't have the funds to buy it.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a version of Stuffit that is free -- it's not their 30-day trail (as far as I know); it's free. StuffIt Expander 2010 Windows:

http://www.stuffit.com/win-expander-download.html

Greg

Posts 59
Adam Lambert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 6:30 PM

thanks that got them out!!

Posts 13
Hans Krause | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 10:20 PM

I have the latest version of Winzip for Windows, which claims the Hebrew stuff is corrupted. With all respect, if the Logos guys use a non-compatible zipping method for a product, they are not on top of things... again!

Downloaded StuffItExpander - -  same problem, it does not work! Why on earth are those guys at Logos using different methods for Greek and Hebrew files, why on earth using non-Winzip compatible methods, why on earth putting giant multiple GB files for download, when they could put compatible zip-files for each video??? 

I continue to be amazed at the ways Logos professionals handle such simple issues soooo clumsily. Still waiting for proper videos, although they are feasting on my big money already for some months. Angry

Posts 13419
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 1:24 AM

The problem that I'm having here is that I can't download at all. Firefox is corrupting the download. It might be worth checking that the downloaded file size is as expected.

Posts 26
Gregory Kedrovsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 4:33 AM

Hey, everybody... Let's just remember that Logos offered to ship a new DVD, free of charge, to all of us who bought the first edition. The download option is basically "in the meantime" for those who need them urgently. Any type of video download is going to be large and problematic. I've ordered the DVD and am still waiting on downloads to go well. If they don't... that's why Logos has offered to send me the DVD. And that's a good thing.

Greg

Posts 59
Adam Lambert | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 5:18 AM

Amen to that Greg. I ordered them as well. Mostly because I like having the DVD's on hand incase I cannot get online for some reason.

Posts 19262
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 10:06 AM

Mark Barnes:

The problem that I'm having here is that I can't download at all. Firefox is corrupting the download. It might be worth checking that the downloaded file size is as expected.

I had some problems at first but was able to successfully download them using the free Firefox add-in DownloadThemAll. It has a very nice UI. I did have to restart the Greek 1-15 one after it said the file was 0 bytes, but the second try worked.

Posts 26
Gregory Kedrovsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 10:22 AM

I got the two Greek files and unzipped them with Stuffit just fine. So... apparently Stuffit works where other unzippers do not. But, hey, at least it's free! 

Download the mongo Hebrew file now... It should be done just in time for Christmas! (Sloooooow connection...) :-)

Greg

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 11:01 AM

Rosie Perera:
It's not actually corrupted. Some unzip utilities are having problems opening it . . .

Well, actually it is corrupted, but not by the downloading process. The files themselves are corrupted. The zipped files apparently have some indexing data that does not conform exactly to the all the zip standards. According to WinZip these are "bad Zip file offset (local header signature not found)".  These errors are in the indexing data for Hebrew09... 10 and 11.

Some un-zipping utilities aren't as picky as WinZip, and those that follow these strict protocols, and will unzip anyway, but that doesn't mean there's not a problem. I'm guessing that a program other than WinZip was used to compress these files, perhaps "Stuffit" since that's the one that seems to be able to handle the problems.

So the Hebrew video zip file is corrupt, but it's not corrupted by the downloading process.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 19262
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 3:17 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
The files themselves are corrupted. The zipped files apparently have some indexing data that does not conform exactly to the all the zip standards. According to WinZip these are "bad Zip file offset (local header signature not found)".  These errors are in the indexing data for Hebrew09... 10 and 11.

I read somewhere that the zip standards have changed. They are probably backward compatible but not forward compatible, so perhaps Logos zipped using a newer standard that unzip utilities using the older standard cannot parse, so they think they are finding errors in the data. It doesn't mean the files are corrupted, just that they are not compatible with most unzippers. (It would be like if you tried to open a Word 2010 document in Word 2003; it would say the file was not a valid Word document.) I've emailed Logos about it and they are looking into the problem. They've already replaced the Hebrew zip file up there and are investigating the Greek ones.

EDIT: I see they've recompressed the Greek ones now too, using a different compress utility. So try again. Unfortunately that means you'll have to download again. Might be better off just waiting for the DVD.

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS