Help with Precept Inductive Bible Study

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 11
Tal Prince | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 20 2010 6:06 AM

Hey Folks -

I just found these forums and would love to get help from people using Logos 4 for Precept like Inductive Bible Study here. I have Logos 4 on my Macbook Pro.

Where do I start? Are there any tutorials anywhere? 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Posts 1660
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 20 2010 6:13 AM

Tal Prince:
Where do I start? Are there any tutorials anywhere? 

Hi Tal, welcome! The folks here are more than generous in helping us. There are some pretty good threads concerning precept study, one of my favorites is here: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/20767/155861.aspx#155861  The thread is three pages long. Also, in the upper right hand corner, you can search by entering the word "precept" and come up with numerous others. I looked in the wiki and did not come across anything.

You can always start a new thread or revive an old one if it is on topic. Enjoy.

Peace  Smile

Romans 14:19 (NRSV)
19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 20 2010 5:16 PM

Morris Proctor has a manual on Inductive Bible Study that I enjoyed very much and learned a lot about Logos from!

Posts 3666
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 20 2010 5:38 PM

Rick Hypes:
Also, in the upper right hand corner, you can search by entering the word "precept" and come up with numerous others.

A more helpful way to search is to use Google.  The Google term should have this format:

<search subjects> site:community.logos.com

for example, a search for "precept"s might look like this:

precept site:community.logos.com

We have found that Google does a better job of indexing this site than the forum does itself.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 3666
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 20 2010 5:42 PM

Dominick Sela:
Morris Proctor has a manual on Inductive Bible Study that I enjoyed very much and learned a lot about Logos from!

The description says that the manual is tied to Logos version 3 - how closely is it tied to the software rather than providing general guidelines for inductive Bible Study?

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 11
Tal Prince | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 20 2010 8:04 PM

Thanks, Rick. I'm checking all of those posts out, and looking for others.  Really like the Precept stuff, so hoping to find some great tools here for that. Really want to maximize my Library while doing so.

Thanks!!

Posts 11
Tal Prince | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 20 2010 8:05 PM

Thanks Floyd! I'll definitely check that out!

Posts 11
Tal Prince | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 20 2010 8:06 PM

Thanks Dominic. I'll take a look. There is a version for Logos 4, I've seen.  Does anybody know the difference between that method and the precept method?

Posts 1660
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2010 7:06 AM

Tal Prince:
Does anybody know the difference between that method and the precept method?

I may very well get corrected here but I think that they are the same thing.

Peace  Smile

Romans 14:19 (NRSV)
19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Posts 130
jwsheets | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2010 9:30 AM

The Precept method utilizes their own "brand" of marking in inductive study. Mo's course will lay out the inductive method and many useful ways to incorporate Logos 4 into your study, but he does not use their proprietary marking system. Hope that helps!

Posts 27014
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2010 4:29 PM

What I have never understood, and I am being serious here, is why the inductive method is called "inductive" rather than "deductive".

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 102
Roger King | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 7:26 AM

MJ. Smith:

What I have never understood, and I am being serious here, is why the inductive method is called "inductive" rather than "deductive".

Going from Moris Proctor's 'Inductive Guide', it clarifies the two terms. Deduction brings preconceived ideas to the facts, whereas inductive bases opinions solely on the facts. ie. impartial.

Hope that helps a little

Posts 27014
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 8:14 PM

Roger King:
Going from Moris Proctor's 'Inductive Guide', it clarifies the two terms. Deduction brings preconceived ideas to the facts, whereas inductive bases opinions solely on the facts. ie. impartial.

But what I don't understand is that in logic deduction derives information from data in a way that is demonstratively true. Induction is taking the data and creating the more generalized statement from it. Here you can speak of probability but not certainty The only preconceived ideas that deduction brings are the rules of logic; induction is what is influenced by one's experiences and biases. See why I don't get it?.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 67
Jim L. West | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 5:38 AM

This by Grant Osborne, "There are two basic approaches to theological reasoning: deduction, which proceeds from general assumptions or evidence to particular conclusions and involves a degree of probability as to the logic of the argument; and induction, which proceeds from particular or specific data to general conclusions and therefore arrives at possible rather than probable answers."

(Grant R. Osborne, The Hermeneutical Spiral : A Comprehensive Introduction to Biblical Interpretation, Rev. and expanded, 2nd ed. (Downers Grove, Ill.: InterVarsity Press, 2006), 385. (Available in L4))

I think this describes the two methods of logic somewhat (though not completely) accurately, and is possibly more of a help in defining "inductive" Bible study.

I don't think that the two logical methods and the two Bible study methods are 100% analogous, yet maybe helpful.

My own description would be something like this:

1. "Inductive" Bible study is the process of observing the text (particular or specific data), and from these observations come to general conclusions as to what the Bible is teaching.

2. "Deductive" Bible study would be more along the lines of starting with a hypothesis, possibly a doctrinal statement, or a conclusion you have derived from your "inductive" study of a particular passage, and searching other passages to determine whether the statement or conclusion is consistent with the rest of Scripture. And sometimes used to help clarify or even determine the interpretation of an obscure passage.

As I said, these two methods are not completely analogous with logical methods (especially the "deductive" method) but, I believe that this is, in my experience, a fairly accurate description of the two Bible study methods.

Jim W

Posts 102
Roger King | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 10:50 AM

Jim L. West:

My own description would be something like this:

1. "Inductive" Bible study is the process of observing the text (particular or specific data), and from these observations come to general conclusions as to what the Bible is teaching.

2. "Deductive" Bible study would be more along the lines of starting with a hypothesis, possibly a doctrinal statement, or a conclusion you have derived from your "inductive" study of a particular passage, and searching other passages to determine whether the statement or conclusion is consistent with the rest of Scripture. And sometimes used to help clarify or even determine the interpretation of an obscure passage.

Pretty much what Morris says. (Sorry I think I summarized it too briefly on my last post). Beyond this, I am not sure how else to help.

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 10:59 AM

MJ. Smith:

Roger King:

But what I don't understand is that in logic deduction derives information from data in a way that is demonstratively true. Induction is taking the data and creating the more generalized statement from it. Here you can speak of probability but not certainty The only preconceived ideas that deduction brings are the rules of logic; induction is what is influenced by one's experiences and biases. See why I don't get it?.

MJ, I really see why you don't get it because for years, I haven't gotten it.  Smile  You come from a perspective of logic and have most always presented yourself as consistently logical and what I am unsure of is how tight the correspondence is of deductive and inductive reasoning as to deductive and inductive Bible study methods.   And I hope not to be getting off topic here. 

Posts 67
Jim L. West | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 11:04 AM

Joan, I think you are right. I have spent many hours trying to fit "inductive logic" and "inductive Bible study" together, without success. I think that there are some surface similarities, but they are not the same thing.

Jim W

Posts 27014
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 11:08 AM

Joan Korte:
what I am unsure of is how tight the correspondence is of deductive and inductive reasoning as to deductive and inductive Bible study methods. 

Thanks - its reassuring to know I'm not the only one confused. I'll file it in the same memory slot as "why do flammable and inflammable mean the same thing?"

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 25 2010 1:58 PM

Peace to all!       And Joy in the Lord!

Inductive Bible Study is when one starts with verses and eventually draws conclusions.

Deductive Bible Study is when one starts with a principle or a doctrine or a teaching , for example. and then looks at the details that formulated that doctrine of conclusion.

Inductive Bible Study is looking at the Trees first.

Deductive Bible Study is looking at the Forest first.

(In case one cannot tell the Forest from the Trees!)         *smile*

From Consise Oxford Dictionary:
induction
■ noun
1  the action or process of inducting someone to a post, organization, etc.
2  the action or process of inducing something.
3  Logic the inference of a general law from particular instances. Often contrasted with deduction.
▶ the production of facts to prove a general statement.

deduction
■ noun
1  the action of deducting.
▶ an amount that is or may be deducted.
2  the inference of particular instances by reference to a general law or principle. Often contrasted with induction.
▶ a conclusion that has been deduced.

Happy Thanksgiving to our American Friends!  *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 25 2010 8:21 PM

MJ. Smith:
"why do flammable and inflammable mean the same thing?"
Great. Now how am I supposed to sleep tonight?

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS