Ronald Knox's Translation of the Vulgate

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 34
St. Columcille | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 25 2010 6:01 PM

Actually I would suggest a more complete collection of Ronald Knox's works, but if there was ever any particular one that I should like to see is his free translation of the Latin Vulgate. 

His writings appear to have all the hallmarks of greatness like Chesterton (I'd like to see his "Saint Francis of Assisi book) and CS Lewis and would be just as viable as John Henry Newman's complete works. 

He seems like an interesting literary critic also.  How much of his influence helped shape Dorthy L. Sayers?  I'd like to see her published essays to Charles William. (I'd like to see his works also).  Of course, J.R.R. Tolkien, although he may not have much by way of theology, seems to have a huge influence with books written about the Lord of the Rings and Middle Earth. 

Just some thoughts about a few other people whom I think have a great influence. 

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 25 2010 9:46 PM

Seconded....  His translation is so wonderful. Easy to read, tries to convey the text fully, and while the translation is from the vulgate the notes discussing the variance from the Hebrew and Greek manuscripts.  

-dan

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 25 2010 9:56 PM

PS: http://www.cormacburke.or.ke/book/knox_bible will gove you an idea of it.. actually a bit better since the archaisms are reduced.

-dan

Posts 20
Tom Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 23 2012 10:45 AM

I much agree!!

Posts 27040
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 23 2012 1:57 PM

Yes

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 34
St. Columcille | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 23 2012 2:15 PM

I just incidentally got an email from another catholic vendor that was selling a new publishing of the Knox translation.   I purchased an old copy from Alibris.  While I like a hard copy of a book in my hands, I am starting to use my logos now less for study resources and more for reading sine there is an upsurge of Catholic works being produced.  It takes some getting used to, moving from reading a book in hand to reading a digital copy.  

Posts 41
Benjamin Baxter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 26 2013 11:20 AM

I'm bringing up this thread again, because I agree compeltely with Mr. St. Columcille. 

I also bought the Baronius Press copy of the Knox, and it's my favorite reading Bible. This is a vital addition. 

Posts 10330
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 26 2013 11:57 AM

Excellent suggestion.

And for anyone curious, 'google' St Columcille! Interesting.

Posts 3666
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 26 2013 1:02 PM

YesYes

See this thread for my Ronald Knox suggestion:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/71886.aspx

I purchased a paper copy of his vulgate translation - I would still like to see a Knox collection being offered.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 26 2013 2:37 PM

Well i wonder if there are issues with copyright.. I noticed that it has disappeared from gateway.

-Dan

Posts 41
Benjamin Baxter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 27 2013 8:51 AM

It also disappeared from the cormacburke site, at least to public access. You can find a recording on YouTube, so far, but that's a different kind of thing. 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS