Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 4:25 AM

English

1. NIV

2. NASB95

3. NET

Greek

1. NA27

2. ESV Interlinear

It is interesting to me how many people I run into who think the KJV is the only true Bible and all of the others are distortions of Scripture. Usually it is the older folks (over 75) but occasionally not. What is quite amusing is when I tell them that the KJV was not the first English translation and they just can't believe that. Or I try to explain about the original Greek and Hebrew manuscripts and I get the "deer in the headlights" look. Usually I just agree to disagree with them and move on. But last Sunday I had quite a discussion with one 95 year old lady who told me I was teaching incorrectly because I said that John the Baptist was working in the area of Bethany baptizing in the Jordan. She told me I was wrong that he was in Bethabara, which is what her King James says (John 1:28) . No amount of explaining or showing her that most other English translations say Bethany could convince her. I finally just had to move on ackowledging that there is a difference between the translations but that it isn't a salvational or doctrinal issue thus not one to dwell on extensively. The sad thing is she is obviously upset by it since she did not come to Church yesterday and had called several members complaining about my incorrect teaching and usage of the "false Bibles" in my preaching and teaching. I am somewhat troubled by all of this as you can probably tell. But I am not sure what I could have done differently.

Posts 2838
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 5:49 AM

Bob Schlessman Replied

"It is interesting to me how many people I run into who think the KJV is the only true Bible and all of the others are distortions of Scripture. (...) The sad thing is she is obviously upset by it since she did not come to Church yesterday and had called several members complaining about my incorrect teaching and usage of the "false Bibles" in my preaching and teaching. I am somewhat troubled by all of this as you can probably tell. But I am not sure what I could have done differently."

You got blindsided.  May the Lord be with you in meeting her needs.

Textual Criticism seems to be blasphemy to many. To the KJV person it often looks like it is just a way to cut up the KJV. Just another change from the way things used to be.  I like and teach from the KJV but I have taught a lesson on textual criticism to our youth group.  (I started with the RULES but did not get to age of text until last) [Our church ‘converted’ our last pastor from the NIV to the NKJV – he was at the lesson I gave (before his ‘conversion’)]

I am not a pastor and many of them will give you very good advice here.  But what if you apologized for upsetting her? [She might hear you apologize for more than you do – she may be able to give you an idea as to how deep the KJV is in your church]   Then start reading both the KJV and what every version you use [to show how they are very much the same]  and if the verse you want to use is in the 5% where they differ then find a different verse [use one that teaches the same thing but from where they agree] 

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 7:49 AM

David Ames:
But what if you apologized for upsetting her? [She might hear you apologize for more than you do – she may be able to give you an idea as to how deep the KJV is in your church]  

Apologizing is very good advice David and something I plan on doing today. As far as how deep the KJV is within my congregation, there is a very small minority (5% or less) who use the KJV. The majority uses the NIV and those who use the KJV don't take issue with other translations in the manner this person did.

David Ames:
Then start reading both the KJV and what every version you use

Though I typically teach and preach from the NIV I have always read and studied several versions. I have read the Bible competely through in ten different verions. I often comparatively quote from more than one version. I believe that to be locked in on any single version is poor scholarship. Just as using only one commentary or Bible dictionary limits one's understanding. I have no problem with the King James other than it takes more work because of the language. I find myself spending additional time defining phrases and words (e.g. "divers temptations", "upbraideth not"), for the congregation and restating in modern language what the Scriptures say. With the NIV or NASB it is already done for me I can spend the time on expository development. Truth be told, my preferred version for personal reading is the NASB95, but since the majority of my congregation uses NIV, that is what I preach.

David Ames:
[Our church ‘converted’ our last pastor from the NIV to the NKJV – he was at the lesson I gave (before his ‘conversion’)]

I find this very interesting. You mentioned age of text (I'm assuming you mean the version itself), but did you discuss age of the manuscripts used? That for me is the deciding issue for which version I use the most.

All of that said I guess where I take issue is when I hear preachers equate version usage with validity of the messge. There is a well known TV evangelist who has come out a said the ones who use anything except the KJV are the devils pawns and liars. The sad thing is he is not alone in this thinking and the issue is truly a source of division within the Church.

Posts 185
Steve Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 8:05 AM

Bob Schlessman:

Truth be told, my preferred version for personal reading is the NASB95, but since the majority of my congregation uses NIV, that is what I preach.

Ditto, Bob. It's kind of like being a missionary to a different culture.You need to speak their language.  So what would I do if a served a congregation that loved, say, the Living Bible?  Big Smile

Pastor, rural Baptist church

Notebook: Dell Precision 4400; Core 2 Duo, 2.5gh; 8Gb RAM; NVIDIA FX 770M w/ 512Mb; Win7 Pro 64-bit; Novabench 510; WEI 5.9

Netbook: MSI Wind 12: Novabench 198; WEI 3.1

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 8:10 AM

Bob Schlessman:
There is a well known TV evangelist who has come out a said the ones who use anything except the KJV are the devils pawns and liars.

I guess that would include Jesus and the Apostles... Stick out tongue

And those who translated the KJV... Stick out tongue

And 99% or so of all Christians who have ever lived... Stick out tongue

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 8:12 AM

Steve Johnson:

Ditto, Bob. It's kind of like being a missionary to a different culture.You need to speak their language.  So what would I do if a served a congregation that loved, say, the Living Bible?

Hopefully you'd help them see the error of their ways. Surprise

Donnie

Posts 2838
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 10:20 AM

Ongoing between Bob Schlessman and David Ames

Bob: “age of text”?

Dave: Yes, I meant age of the manuscripts.  Got to that near the end (as their eyes glazed over – the ones that I wanted to understand did.)  

Bob: There is a well known TV evangelist who has come out a said the ones who use anything except the KJV are the devils pawns and liars. The sad thing is he is not alone in this thinking and the issue is truly a source of division within the Church.

Dave: [Has your KJV lady heard that evangelist? – the devil is in the works – the question is where and when] [Matt 25:32-46 ?]  [And there are those that seem to define a cult as those that still use the KJV]

You are on my prayer list as is she.

Anonymous | | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 10:39 AM

1.  NET - because of the notes

2. TEV aka GNB, for casual reading of large blocks of text

3/4/5.  ESV for  talking to Presbyterians (PCA) or NASB for talking to Baptists.  NIV for talking to whose English literacy is limited.

My name is Adam. I work at Faithlife with the software teams responsible for the Logos desktop and web apps.

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 185
Steve Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 10:46 AM

Jeffrey Glen Jackson:

1.  NET - because of the notes

2. TEV aka GNB, for casual reading of large blocks of text

3/4/5.  ESV for  talking to Presbyterians (PCA) or NASB for talking to Baptists.  NIV for talking to whose English literacy is limited.

:D What a hoot!

Pastor, rural Baptist church

Notebook: Dell Precision 4400; Core 2 Duo, 2.5gh; 8Gb RAM; NVIDIA FX 770M w/ 512Mb; Win7 Pro 64-bit; Novabench 510; WEI 5.9

Netbook: MSI Wind 12: Novabench 198; WEI 3.1

Posts 10836
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 11:25 AM

Bob Schlessman:
It is interesting to me how many people I run into who think the KJV is the only true Bible and all of the others are distortions of Scripture. Usually it is the older folks (over 75) but occasionally not.

That is not the case in the area in which I live (central North Carolina). the gentleman who informed me that the KJV could be used to correct the Greek and Hebrew was probably less than 50 while I am very close to 75. The KJV only movement is extremely strong here and encloses all age groups from very young to seasoned citizens.

Posts 10836
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 11:35 AM

Jeffrey Glen Jackson:
NIV for talking to whose English literacy is limited.

To paraphrase Silent Same Hmmmmmmm… Big Smile

Jeffrey Glen Jackson:
NASB for talking to Baptists

If they are Independent Baptist from my area, you would probably be considered a heretic.  However, I pastored Independent Baptist congregations for over 20 years, and I always taught that the KJV is a translation and that the originals were/are inspired and not any translation. 

Posts 455
David Buckham | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 11:45 AM

Jack Caviness:

Bob Schlessman:
It is interesting to me how many people I run into who think the KJV is the only true Bible and all of the others are distortions of Scripture. Usually it is the older folks (over 75) but occasionally not.

That is not the case in the area in which I live (central North Carolina). the gentleman who informed me that the KJV could be used to correct the Greek and Hebrew was probably less than 50 while I am very close to 75. The KJV only movement is extremely strong here and encloses all age groups from very young to seasoned citizens.

Ditto Jack! Here in the Southwest corner of Virginia KJV Only crowd is not bound by any age. There are a few KJVOnly preachers in this area younger than me (I'm 32). I work with a Christian club at the local middle school and KJV is an issue there as well. Can't get away from it regardless of age here.

all about Christ,

David Buckham

http://thinkspurlove.blogspot.com

Posts 10836
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 11:57 AM

David Buckham:
Here in the Southwest corner of Virginia KJV Only crowd is not bound by any age

How far west? I know the movement is strong in Patrick, Henry, and Pittsylvania counties. I served as pastor in Stokes & Rockingham counties in NC.

Posts 455
David Buckham | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 12:04 PM

Jack,

I'm in Virginia...as far west as you can go. Lee County "Where Virginia Begins"

all about Christ,

David Buckham

http://thinkspurlove.blogspot.com

Posts 397
T Gerold Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 12:13 PM

KJV, NKJV, ESV

In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle
**If we will do God's work, in God's way, at God's time, with God's power, we shall have God's blessings!!**

Posts 55
Rick Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 1:46 PM

The short answer for me is the ESV, but I actually prefer to work from the original languages then come back to the ESV and other Bibles after delving though some of the Theological Dictionaries to garner additional insight into the translations.  Ultimately if I'm teaching, I reference back to the NIV with whatever notes I've generated, since it is the pew Bible in my church and the most used version.

Posts 50
Randy O'Brien | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 2:39 PM

NIV for sermon work

NLT for my own personal reading / journaling / reflection

ESV for my doctoral work (my first reader uses it) I also love the reverse interlinears for the OT

NET (as mentioned before...great notes!)

BHS / NA27 but checking the SBL now too

Posts 10836
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 5:21 PM

David Buckham:
I'm in Virginia...as far west as you can go. Lee County "Where Virginia Begins"

Doesn't that put you close to Hatfield-McCoy territory? Didn't they have their fun and games in Harlan County?

EDIT: Should have checked my facts before clicking post. That little tussle happened further north, in Pike County, KY and across the line into West Virginia.

Posts 46
Billy Staggs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 5:45 PM

NKJV (90% of my use. Retains the flow of the KJV while modernizing some less common words/phrases.  They did go too far in some cases, in my opinion though. Love it.)

KJV (After hearing this preached for years, I actually "recall" Scriptures in this translation. Almost always consult the differences between this and NKJV)

NASB (for comparison with a "critical text" version)

NIV (There are enough members using this to warrant me knowing what they are reading when I read or teach from NKJV / KJV)

NLT (occasionally consult for a dynamic translation)

Posts 27031
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 6:59 PM

Not surprisingly the ESV is the favourite bible and also received the most votes from people's top 3.

Bible Votes TOTAL
ESV 23 50
NAS95 11 36
NIV 11 19
NKJV 8 14
KJV 6 15
NRSV 6 10
NET 3 12
TNIV 2 2

Other bibles got more total votes than the TNIV, but not as #1 choice:

• The LEB got 8 votes, all as 3rd choice!
  • HCSB got 5 votes
  • NA26/27 got 5 votes
  • NLT got  4 votes
  • NJB got 3 votes, all as 2nd choice

NAS95 beat ESV for 2nd choice (16 v. 13)

ESV beat NAS95 for 3rd choice (14 v. 9). So LEB was the third 3rd choice.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 7 of 10 (186 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS