Favorite Bible translations NOT in Logos (yet)

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 33261
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 6 2010 1:14 PM

There is an interesting thread on what forum members use. It made me curious as to what we use in paper because it is not (yet) available in Logos. My top entries, excluding study bibles, would have to be:

1. The Community Bible
  2. Jerusalem / New Jerusalem
  3. New English / Revised New English
  4. NETS (LXX)
  5. Everett Fox's ongoing translation of the Tanankh
  6. Robert Altar's ongoing translation of the Tanankh
  7. Eastern Orthodox/Greek Bible - still in progress
  8. Papoutsis's ongoing translation (occasionally)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1563
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2010 1:20 PM

Big "DO WANT"s on Fox and Altar.

I note Fox's Pentateuch is available.

http://www.logos.com/product/699/the-five-books-of-moses

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 2759
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2010 1:36 PM

2. NJB available  the new jerusalem bible if USA/CAN

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 3838
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2010 1:54 PM

MJ. Smith:
There is an interesting thread on what forum members use. It made me curious as to what we use in paper because it is not (yet) available in Logos. My top entries, excluding study bibles, would have to be:

I would like to add JB Phillips Translation:  http://www.ccel.org/bible/phillips/JBPNT.htm

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2010 2:24 PM

MJ. Smith:

1. The Community Bible
  4. NETS (LXX)

Community Bible with notes and getting the full edition of the NJB would be great. I mean the readers edition of the NJB is nice to have but to have all the study notes of 1985 original would be perfect.

-dan

PS:Community bible is fully available for free to download including the notes, is the lack of it in any bible software because of rights.

Posts 171
Abi Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2010 2:58 PM

Floyd Johnson:
I would like to add JB Phillips Translation:  http://www.ccel.org/bible/phillips/JBPNT.htm

Thank you Floyd. I have brought this up before. It never hurts to mention it again. He truly did have a gift for making the original text understandable to commoners.

I will admit that His new testament works seemed better than the OT. (which he never finished) I guess he was more comfortable with Greek.

~

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2010 3:00 PM

MJ. Smith:

1. The Community Bible
  4. NETS (LXX)

Out of these my wish list only included EOB, NETS and Jerusalem/New Jerusalem (haven't studied the differences). But if you recommend the rest I'm probably interested in them as well, at the right price. Wink

Otherwise my additions would be the French Bible de Jérusalem and TOB. And maybe a couple more Swedish ones (but they'd most likely be done in Sweden).

(Not that I use any of these in paper really, but I'd like them as resources.)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2010 4:18 PM

MJ. Smith:

1. The Community Bible
  4. NETS (LXX)

The first three of M.J.'s I have. But would love to have print versions of NETS (LXX), Fox and Altar.

I would add to the list:
The Translator's New Testament -BFBS
The New Testament: A New Translation, W. Barclay
Williams New Testament- C.B. Williams

Something I don't have in print but would love to see developed as a Greek interlinear is the 1841 English Hexapla NT parallel. (DREAMER!)

Posts 614
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2010 4:23 PM

I'll join in on this one.  There's only one bible version I truly miss:

JB Phillips New Testament

Posts 273
Brad Fry | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2010 5:18 PM

Tyndale's translation of the NT. I can't say this is a favorite because I'm really not that familiar with it. But I would like to have it.

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2010 5:44 PM

I would really love to see the NETS! 

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2010 5:49 PM

My list is the same in paper or digital format.

1. NASB95

2. ESV

3. KJV

4. HCSB

When I am done learning the original languages my pref will be digital resources in Logos.

Posts 33261
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2010 6:19 PM

John Kaess:
JB Phillips New Testament

I had his epistles as a kid - I keeping forgetting about his translation but it is worth having.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2832
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2010 7:11 PM

The Douay-Rheims currently in Logos is with the Bishop Challoner edits of 1749-52

So can we get the DOUAY OLD TESTAMENT of Anno Domini 1609 With the RHEIMS NEW TESTAMENT of Anno Domini 1582

There is a PDF version that has been “transliterated into modern English text, with archaic spellings updated to modern spellings. Where possible the archaic spelling has been left intact to preserve the "flavor" of this historic text.” (also available in print - 4 volumns)
Posts 1359
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2010 7:57 PM

Floyd Johnson:

Yes

Anonymous | | Replied: Tue, Dec 7 2010 8:56 AM

DominicM:

2. NJB available  the new jerusalem bible if USA/CAN

Yeah, sort of.  I have this, but it doesn't include the notes, which is the real value of the JB and NJB, in my opinion. 

My name is Adam. I work at Faithlife with the software teams responsible for the Logos desktop and web apps.

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 7 2010 2:47 PM

Jeffrey Glen Jackson:

... the notes, which is the real value of the JB and NJB, in my opinion. 

The notes would be my main (if not only) reason to add it to my digital lib.

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS