Morphology Search Missing Entry when searching בטח in BHS 4.2 W/Morphology

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Posts 10
Chris Kendrick | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 6 2010 1:50 PM

When I did a morphological search in Logos for בטח in BHS 4.2 W/Morphology, it revealed that the word appears 118 times. However, when I looked at Kohlenberger's The Hebrew-English Concordance to the Old Testament, it revealed 119 entries. I set out to discover either an addition or a missing entry, and I found that the error was in Logos' BHS 4.2, missing בטח (batach - "to trust") in Proverbs 14:16.

Where should I submit this information so that it can be fixed?

Unfortunately this is not the first time that I have had differing results when doing word studies. This is a major issue, for I cannot use any of Logos' word studies when citing the number of occurrences and appropriate statistics.

Why does it not cite that reference?

Posts 433
Vincent Setterholm | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2010 2:43 PM

This isn't an error. The database does have בטח in Proverbs 14.16, but they assigned it a homograph number of 2, grouping it with the instance in Jeremiah 12:5. If you take a look at HALOT, they list this occurrence under both בטח 1 and בטח 2, though the instance in entry 1 redirects the reader to look at entry 2 as well (and entry 2 notes a source that considers 2 and 1 to be basically the same word). I'd guess that the determining factor in grouping this instance with 'to fall' rather than 'careless' is the idea of parallelism in Hebrew poetry. While 'reckless and careless' go well together as traits, line a has a trait and an action, 'cautious and turns' so a trait and an action might be anticipated in line b 'reckless and falls'. But it is obviously an area where some translators disagree.

If you want to learn more about parallelism and Hebrew poetry, please check out this prepub that is in need of some more orders: http://www.logos.com/product/6211/hebrew-studies-collection

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS