LCL (Loeb Classical Liberary)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9
Andrew W. Pitts | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 20 2009 8:21 AM

Hey Guys,

In a number of recently published and forthcoming essays (mostly with Brill) on the backgrounds for Early Christianity I have really benefited from having many of the primary ancient sources for the study of Christian origins in searchable format with the broad ranging search capabilities of Logos. I note that Charlesworth's edition of the psuedepigrapha is on pre-pub. That will be an important addition to your collection since the OTP has become the standard rather than Charles, and it has some extra texts that will correspond more closely with your Greek edition of the psuedepigrapha. With this addition, your collection will be quite strong on the Jewish sources, which is where I have found the most help (esp. the Dead Sea Scrolls study edition) through the broad search interface. Even here though, do you have any plans to issue further Talmud, Targumic and other Rabbinic documents beyond the Midrash and Mishna volumes already available? I think that would really make for an even stronger representation of texts from early Judaism.

More importantly though, I can't say how many times I have thought how beneficial it would be to have the Greek Loeb volumes in the series (Greek text on one side, translation on the other)--perhaps starting with the Historians (Herodotus, etc.) and Philosophers/ Rhetoricians (Isocrates, etc.). I don't think anyone (beside Perseus and TLG in a different way) has attempted this--certainly no client-based Bible program. I note that you were able to get a contract with Harvard on their classic literature collection (but some of these are public domain now, thus Perseus can use them). But I would say the LCL (Greek and Latin) are the single most referenced collection of classical resources in NT scholarship today and with the recent revival in interests in these texts, I am sure scholars would respond very positively to having them in digital form--I know I would. I recently invited scholars to contribute to 2 edited Brill volumes, one on Hellenistic Judaism and the other on Greek Culture and the NT, and there was a much more overwhelming interest, at least among the scholars I invited, in classical contexts for the NT. All that to say: what are the chances of beginning work on at least the Greek/English volumes in the Loeb Classical Library, perhaps saving the Latin/English volumes for later?

Finally, are there any plans of publishing early Christian apocryphal sources, such as apocryphal Gospels and Acts?

That's all for today.

Thanks,

Andrew

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 20 2009 10:02 AM

AndrewWilliamsPitts:

Hey Guys,

In a number of recently published and forthcoming essays (mostly with Brill) on the backgrounds for Early Christianity I have really benefited from having many of the primary ancient sources for the study of Christian origins in searchable format with the broad ranging search capabilities of Logos. I note that Charlesworth's edition of the psuedepigrapha is on pre-pub. That will be an important addition to your collection since the OTP has become the standard rather than Charles, and it has some extra texts that will correspond more closely with your Greek edition of the psuedepigrapha. With this addition, your collection will be quite strong on the Jewish sources, which is where I have found the most help (esp. the Dead Sea Scrolls study edition) through the broad search interface. Even here though, do you have any plans to issue further Talmud, Targumic and other Rabbinic documents beyond the Midrash and Mishna volumes already available? I think that would really make for an even stronger representation of texts from early Judaism.

More importantly though, I can't say how many times I have thought how beneficial it would be to have the Greek Loeb volumes in the series (Greek text on one side, translation on the other)--perhaps starting with the Historians (Herodotus, etc.) and Philosophers/ Rhetoricians (Isocrates, etc.). I don't think anyone (beside Perseus and TLG in a different way) has attempted this--certainly no client-based Bible program. I note that you were able to get a contract with Harvard on their classic literature collection (but some of these are public domain now, thus Perseus can use them). But I would say the LCL (Greek and Latin) are the single most referenced collection of classical resources in NT scholarship today and with the recent revival in interests in these texts, I am sure scholars would respond very positively to having them in digital form--I know I would. I recently invited scholars to contribute to 2 edited Brill volumes, one on Hellenistic Judaism and the other on Greek Culture and the NT, and there was a much more overwhelming interest, at least among the scholars I invited, in classical contexts for the NT. All that to say: what are the chances of beginning work on at least the Greek/English volumes in the Loeb Classical Library, perhaps saving the Latin/English volumes for later?

Finally, are there any plans of publishing early Christian apocryphal sources, such as apocryphal Gospels and Acts?

That's all for today.

Thanks,

Andrew

Loeb has already been requested (see the thread titled somthing like "An impossible request").  Thank you for adding your voice to others.  As regards the Christian apocryphal sources, many are published in the (very old and error-ridden ANF and NPNF 1 & 2 volumes.  Some are in the Nag Hammadi documents.  It would be nice to have another edition.  I'm not sure whether they would be included in Migne or not, but I would recommend that you subscribe to that prepub.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9
Andrew W. Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 20 2009 5:46 PM

Thanks George. I should have searched on Loeb in the forum--I was not aware of that post so thanks for that. The Migne will be a further helpful source. Yes, the Nag Hammadi documents are an important part of the NT apocryphal material and I have that as well as ANF. Any chance of getting the further Rabbinic sources I mention?

Let's pray that Loeb lets you publish that set! But as others have noted, it will likely be a costly one!

Thanks again,

Andrew

Posts 97
Al | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2009 7:24 PM

Speaking of the Harvard Classics, it continues to be quite frustrating that this very fairly priced resource continues to languish in pre-pub because it has about 60% fulfillment for pre-orders.

Another example: the Fortress Creative Care and Counseling series - a great resource again - sitting at about 90%, not moving at all. Frustrating. And astonishing.

I understand the business model. But it is so frustrating to see some resources that would be quite valuable resources not get to development, while other offerings - some of more limited value (it's all perspectival, I know...) - blow right through to development. Sigh.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 21 2009 11:09 PM

Al Bastin:

Speaking of the Harvard Classics, it continues to be quite frustrating that this very fairly priced resource continues to languish in pre-pub because it has about 60% fulfillment for pre-orders.

Another example: the Fortress Creative Care and Counseling series - a great resource again - sitting at about 90%, not moving at all. Frustrating. And astonishing.

I understand the business model. But it is so frustrating to see some resources that would be quite valuable resources not get to development, while other offerings - some of more limited value (it's all perspectival, I know...) - blow right through to development. Sigh.

I really hope BobP reads this:

I would much rather see a Pre-Pub "languish" for 18 months or more, than to have Logos Execs decide to put it out of it's misery. As long as it displays a progress bar there is a hope that it will one day make it.. The Harvard Classics, Barne's Notes, the Herbrew Pronunciation Add-in, the Samaritan Pentateuch: are all better late than never.  (Where is that Samaritan Pentateuch anyway?)

I have an alternative marketing idea. I think the Harvard Classics would make a nice gift. What if Logos allowed multiple Pre-Pub purchases, secured by pre-paid gift cerificates (thereby avoiding shipping day cancelations of the multiple orders), based on the first locked in price?       i.e.     If I have a pre-pub price of $100 locked in and I pre-pay $400 in designated gift certificates, I receive 4 copies of Harvard Classics (3 of which are not registered in my name so I may give them as gifts. Also, allowing multiple orders in community pricing would boost some of those titles. The assurance that pre-orders would not become artificially bloated to nudge towards production would be the non-refundable pre-pay mechanism.  I'm sure there are factors I'm not privy to but it's an idea.....

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1721
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 23 2009 11:31 AM

We're letting almost all the pre-pubs hang around in hopes of more orders in the future.

We are also working on a gift-giving system (as part of a larger credit system), but don't have support for this in our e-commerce engine yet.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS