David Dorsey's The Literary Structure of the Old Testament

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 114
James Matichuk | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 9 2010 10:29 AM

I have used this book profitably for sermon and exegesis. I do not currently have it in my library, but would love to see it in Logos.

http://www.amazon.com/Literary-Structure-Old-Testament-Genesis-Malachi/dp/0801021871

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 9 2010 2:30 PM

Yes

Looks fantastic - I'd love this resource.

Donnie

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 9 2010 2:34 PM

I have this in hardcover and would love to see it in Logos. +1 Yes

Posts 6
Hector | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2012 1:31 PM

I would love to see this resource in Logos! I was first introduced to this work by my OT professor and it was amazing! Hopefully Logos will notice this post and make it happen. :)

Posts 99
JJ Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 8 2012 5:51 PM

James Matichuk:

Yes, this is a very useful book and would be a great addition to the Logos Library.  Dorsey's Literary Structure of the OT would be even more useful tagged and included in Logos.  

JJ

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 8 2012 8:27 PM

How does it differ from this bundle: Biblical Performance Criticism -series (4 vols.)
... which is on pre-pub closing tomorrow?

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 33796
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 8 2012 9:01 PM

Unix:
How does it differ from this bundle: Biblical Performance Criticism -series (4 vols.)

They would have little overlap. Biblical Performance Criticism emphasizes the oral/aural nature of Scripture and how reading Scripture in the synagogue/church helped shape Scripture. Literary Criticism emphasizes the written and formal nature of Scripture i.e. the relationship between the reader and a written text.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 114
James Matichuk | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 8 2012 9:02 PM

Unix, 

I haven't used any of the Bible Performance Criticism volumes which look fabulous but Dorsey's commentary is focused on literary structure more than orality and performance. That means he is primarily drawing attention to how narratives are crafted, arguments are structured, what is communicated in the various strophes in poetry.  I imagine there would be some overlap but the focus of each work seems pretty different. 

Posts 3
George Stouffer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 6:18 AM

I notice that years have transpired since this post.  May my reply spark a new wave of interest in this book.  I have recommended it for years and have wished hundreds of times that I had it in Logos.  Even this morning as I read from Isaiah, I wondered how anyone could understand this Biblical masterpiece without the add of Dr. Dorsey's key to unlock its structure.  The same could be said for Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon, Jeremiah, etc.

Posts 286
Mathew Voth | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 7:03 AM

Thought you would like to know it is part of the massive Baker bundles: http://www.logos.com/product/24042/baker-academic-biblical-studies-bundle

Save your pennies!

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 7:21 AM

Mathew Voth:

Thought you would like to know it is part of the massive Baker bundles: http://www.logos.com/product/24042/baker-academic-biblical-studies-bundle

Save your pennies!

If you really want it, it is available more affordably in a smaller collection (one of the collections comprising the bundle).

http://www.logos.com/product/23986/baker-academic-old-testament-studies

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3
George Stouffer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 7:44 AM

Thank you for the information.

Posts 3
George Stouffer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 14 2013 7:45 AM

Thanks

Posts 570
HansK | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 7 2013 5:59 AM

Yes

Please add Dorsey's book to Logos.

MacOS Sierra / Logos 7 Collector's Edition & All Base Packages / Logos Now

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS