Notes: What's the point?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 45
Christopher Esget | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 11 2010 3:52 PM

As far as I can see, notes cannot be printed, nor can they easily be copied and pasted en masse into a word processor. Notes made on a computer don't show up on iPad or iPhone. (Unless something has changed just recently, you can't even make notes on iPad or iPhone.)

The only possible use I can imagine for notes is to prepare for preaching or teaching. Without the ability to easily get them out (or at least have them show up on the iPad), however, the notes function is not helpful.

Am I missing something? Is there some simple way to export the notes that I am not seeing? And if not, what's the point?

Confused

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 11 2010 4:03 PM

Notes can be printed/exported in the Windows version. This means that, eventually, the Mac version will be able to do it too.

It bears mentioning that L4's implementation of notes functions best as "notes scribbled in the margins of books." Heavy duty authoring is best saved for a word processor.

Posts 45
Christopher Esget | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 11 2010 7:17 PM

Thanks for your reply.

What I'd most like to do with notes is use them for teaching Bible classes (I'm a parish pastor). I guess I'll continue to compile my prep notes in Pages until I can print from Mac Logos.

Thanks again.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 11 2010 7:24 PM

Christopher Esget:

Thanks for your reply.

What I'd most like to do with notes is use them for teaching Bible classes (I'm a parish pastor). I guess I'll continue to compile my prep notes in Pages until I can print from Mac Logos.

Thanks again.

For what it's worth, I've used Logos since version 1.6, but always used an external word processor for message notes and lessons.This works very well with a 2 monitor system (and it's why I got the 2nd monitor).

I only use notes to remind myself of things I may not remember next time I look at the passage; sort of like a personal study Bible. I'd never even considered printing notes, until an early release didn't have it and others complained. Now that we have printing in Logos, I've still never printed anything from Logos, and don't know why I would. I really like a lot more formatting control (font size, margins, headings, paragraph formatting, etc.) than what Logos offers at this point, and is ever likely to offer.

But maybe that just shows how we all work differently.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1
Barry Busby | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 12 2010 10:44 AM

Christopher,

One of the things I am using with some success is the Handouts tab. I make notes like has been said as marginal reference and then make the handout for my use and as a handout if necessary for the group. I am however waiting for the Sermon maker that hopefully is coming in January. Hope this helps.

Barry "Hoot" Busby

CH (CPT) USA

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 12 2010 11:52 AM

Barry Busby:
I am however waiting for the Sermon maker that hopefully is coming in January.

I wouldn't be looking for January for the Sermon File.  I'm guessing later in the year.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 34
JinHTown | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 7:20 AM

Richard said it well.

Using a 3rd party word processor seems to be best, in my opinion. 

You get much greater control over text formatting, cross platform usage (with Word, and others), better backup options, and various print options.  I understand that it would be nice to have personal notes scroll with your preferred Bible, but I think that benefit is outweighed by other pros in using a separate notes program.  This is especially true if you are wanting to work with Greek and Hebrew text (working with Gk and Hb is a notes add-on in Logos or Accord. can be a real pain).

Posts 10886
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 8:26 AM

JinHTown:
working with Gk and Hb is a notes add-on in Logos or Accord. can be a real pain

It is an even greater pain to work with Hebrew text in Word for Mac.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS