The Digital Pulpit

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 185
Steve Johnson | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 16 2010 8:22 AM

All of us here study the Bible on the computer. How many of us preach and teach with it, too?

How many of us actually take a notebook, etc. with us as our primary resource in public speaking? Computer

Personally, I use Powerpoint for almost every sermon I preach to display outlines and illustrations on a large screen, but I always have a print Bible on the lectern or pulpit.  It's too hard to "page through" verses with a laptop, and too much risk of a digital failure.

Pastor, rural Baptist church

Notebook: Dell Precision 4400; Core 2 Duo, 2.5gh; 8Gb RAM; NVIDIA FX 770M w/ 512Mb; Win7 Pro 64-bit; Novabench 510; WEI 5.9

Netbook: MSI Wind 12: Novabench 198; WEI 3.1

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 8:25 AM

Dr. James White preaches from his mac and he's preached at Spurgeon's church (Metropolitan Tabernacle) in London from it...

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 8:30 AM

I've started using my Kindle for my notes when I preach.

The upside is ease of use and I can get the notes out of order. Saves on paper too.

The downside is that I can't annotate it when something strikes me in the service.

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 8:47 AM

I do the same as you Steve, have done for the last five years.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 9519
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 8:56 AM

Over on the iPad/iPhone forum you'll find some guys who take their iPad into the pulpit. I'm pretty much of an analogue guy when preaching. To me a computer in the pulpit is distracting to listeners. If I use PowerPoint someone else runs it not me. It bugs me to see preachers fumbling with the keyboard while preaching. That iPad pulpit others have linked to might be OK as it is unobtrusive.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1562
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 9:25 AM

And the iPad looks like a book so most people wouldn't even notice.

Posts 89
Shawn Nichols | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 11:43 AM

I'm a lover of technology. I spent 12 years in corporate IT before the ministry. But there's something I really like about the rustling of the Bible pages. I encourage those in my church training for the ministry to keep the Bible present and visible. We're wanting the presence of a Bible to make a statement in our church. Crazy, I know.

As for notes, I've always carried those with me for fear of technical failure. But I've always wanted a better method. When I preach in my church, I have a real sense of direction every week. But when preaching in other churches, I often don't have a real sense of the people and their burden until I arrive. I always prepare to preach. But there's been a number of times I've thought, "man, I wish I had that message on...." I'd love to preach from a digital source that kept those studies accessible but I fear its stability ... and not being able to jot down last minute thoughts. I'd be interested in others who can compare the iPod to e-readers like Kindle. Positives / Negatives? I might be willing to give it a shot. Do they use Logos notes or some kind of word processor (MS Word) that displays the file on the device?

When using powerpoint, I've always had someone else run that for me. But I've also had that bite me. Depends on the church and their awareness of sermonology. Otherwise I'd rather not use it.

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 11:53 AM

wow.. Long gone is the vision of the preacher with Bible in hand standing in front of the lecturn preaching. And we wonder why the church is failing.

Posts 185
Steve Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 11:58 AM

Matthew Hamrick:

wow.. Long gone is the vision of the preacher with Bible in hand standing in front of the lecturn preaching. And we wonder why the church is failing.

Maybe we didn't move digital soon enough, and the church is left behind.  SORRY!  Bad metaphor for us premils!  Big Smile

Pastor, rural Baptist church

Notebook: Dell Precision 4400; Core 2 Duo, 2.5gh; 8Gb RAM; NVIDIA FX 770M w/ 512Mb; Win7 Pro 64-bit; Novabench 510; WEI 5.9

Netbook: MSI Wind 12: Novabench 198; WEI 3.1

Posts 85
Mike Waugh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 12:44 PM

Matthew Hamrick:

Really, Matthew? Peter wasn't clutching a leather-bound Bible and standing in front of a lecturn while he preached at Pentecost - right before 3,000 or so were added to the church. I just don't buy the idea that "the church is failing" (your words, not mine) simply because some guys choose to use 21st century technology, in the 21st century, while preaching.

God's Word is God's Word, whether it's read from a scroll, "book" or some digital device. For that matter, it's still God's Word when I recite it from memory. I trust that the Holy Spirit doesn't get confused by technology.

That said, I do my sermon prep on my laptop and use my leather-bound Bible while preaching... for now.

Mike

Dell Studio XPS16 / Win 7 64bit / i7 Q720 @ 1.60GHz (2.80GHz Turbo) 6MB Cache / 4GB RAM / 500GM Hard Disk @ 7200 RPM / ATI Mobility RADEON® HD 4670 – 1GB

Posts 2
Harbey Santiago | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 5:22 PM

Well... As a Information Systems professional I can tell you that I would never trust an electronic device with my sermons! The idea of a power failure, glitch or a crash are too horrible to even considered. Nothing like good old paper for me!

Viva Cristo Rey!!

Deacon Harbey Santiago

Archdiocese of Baltimore

Posts 33
Jeff Causey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 5:52 PM

Can't speak to preaching, but for my work presentations, I usually use a mindmap that I've printed out.  If I'm ever able to get tablet device, I hope to be able to use it instead of printing out the mindmap.  This thread has made me think about preparing some mindmaps for the teaching stuff I do.

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 17 2010 9:31 AM

Mark A. Smith:
To me a computer in the pulpit is distracting to listeners. If I use PowerPoint someone else runs it not me. It bugs me to see preachers fumbling with the keyboard while preaching. That iPad pulpit others have linked to might be OK as it is unobtrusive.

I agree with this. I have a Bible in front of me, and the laptop in the front row of the audience, with someone operating it if necessary. But when all you have to do is hit a button on a tiny wireless USB Powerpoint controller in the palm of your hand which you don't even have to look at, there's not much to go wrong and the audience can't even see you do it.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 3915
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 17 2010 9:54 AM

Jeff Causey:

Can't speak to preaching, but for my work presentations, I usually use a mindmap that I've printed out.  If I'm ever able to get tablet device, I hope to be able to use it instead of printing out the mindmap.  This thread has made me think about preparing some mindmaps for the teaching stuff I do.

Jeff, there have been a few threads on MMing.  I am an occasional user of them and wish I were more proficient.  I am also realizing that some of my best (at least in the sense of natural presentation) have come for hand drawn pages that use drawings coupled with minimal references, kind of like a graphic mm.  My problem is some of the organic creativity gets stifled when I have to figure out how to put it on the software.  I use Mindjet's and Buzan's.  Mostly the former.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 9519
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 17 2010 10:06 AM

Jonathan Burke:
a tiny wireless USB Powerpoint controller

I need one of those. Point me to it.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 17 2010 10:17 AM

Mark A. Smith:

Jonathan Burke:
a tiny wireless USB Powerpoint controller

I need one of those. Point me to it.

I got one recently. They are called a "Wireless Presenter." It will come with a USB radio-signal receiver and a hand-held remote. The USB receiver must be in the computer while using it, in order for it to work. Search on the internet, or go to your nearest office supply store. Expect to pay around US$50.

NOTE: the presenter will send the "PageUp" and "PageDown" keys to the program. Some presentation programs user other keys to step through the program (SongShow Plus, e.g.). In that case you may need to remap those keys. There are little programs that can do that 'on the fly' so that the keys don't need to be remapped in the registry.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 9519
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 17 2010 10:19 AM

Thanks! I had a wireless presentation mouse at one time (probably still do) but that was about worthless.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9519
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 17 2010 10:34 AM

Just picked one up from that river online retailer. A Kensington Wireless Presenter Pro with a $25.00 rebate. Nice.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 19273
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 17 2010 10:42 AM

My favorite pastor (Earl Palmer) not only used a paper Bible, but whenever he'd read a quote from one of his favorite authors whom he wanted to inspire us to read (C.S. Lewis, G.K. Chesterton, Blaise Pascal, etc.) he would read it from the original book, not off a manuscript that he'd copied it to. I loved seeing him lovingly handle those books of his that were all dog-eared and well used. He inspired me even more to do lots of great reading.

Posts 3744
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 17 2010 11:36 AM

Steve Johnson:

All of us here study the Bible on the computer. How many of us preach and teach with it, too?

I teach with it. I'm using L3 AND L4 with a projector in all my Bible studies & in some other classes (particularly if  there are a great many Scripture references, all of which look up because it's so quick). Why use both? I don't want my L4 Bibles / reference books highlighted other than for classroom use for a particular class. That capability doesn't exist in today's L4 layouts. So, I've sacrificed L3 to highlights & use L4 for reference purposes only in classes.

Specifically:

• In L3, each Bible study has its own L3 workspace & notes.
    • What's in the workspace?
      • Bible translations, including a selection of English translations that include whatever attendees are reading, plus my preferred translations if different.
      • Two carefully selected commentaries--one is of "survey" quality & is the main resource that guides our study. (Often, Tom Constable's Notes serves this purpose.) The other is the best exegetical commentary for that book, used for crosscheck purposes whenever appropriate.
      • Bible dictionaries, Maps
      • For study of NT books, I include a Greek interlinear & BDAG.
      • For study of OT books, I include a Hebrew interlinear, LXX, BDAG, HALOT, & BHS
    • What's in the notes? My notes to self on where to find more info that'll open up the text.
      • Mainly, verse by verse references to other resources (maps, etc.)
      • Sometimes, instructions what to look up in L4's people/place/thing reports.
  • In L4, I've set up a Bible Study Assist layout, consisting of the Biblical Things, Persons, & Places reports in one large tab, & power lookup in a small tab.

How does it work?

In each class, there are 2 main windows open--Bible version + "survey" commentary. Prior to each class, I color code corresponding highlights in Bible + commentary that I want to bring to class attention, verse by verse, as we work our way through a book (prior studies of Colossians, Hosea, Ezra, & Nehemiah are complete. Jeremiah is under way). In addition, I look up every cross reference & color code those... Whenever a person, place, or thing gets named, we try to look at it (via verse/note entry in L3 if easy to find, or via L4 if not).

To apply each text, asking how the Biblical situation parallels ours, & then how the text speaks to our situation. Members answer relative to their life experiences.

The richest part for me, though, is the deepening of our questions, as members get used to the fact that we can usually get answers in class, as we watch. That leads to more questions in class... and it's beginning to lead to follow-up questions outside class.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS