The mixed blessing of a new keyboard

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2710
mab | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 16 2010 12:57 PM

I was using an old Mac Pro Keyboard from my G4 days with my Mac Mini. Yesterday I hooked up a new wired Apple Keyboard--the flat aluminum model. I really really like it. Except when i went to try the F7 Hover command over my Logos text it didn't work. It seems that this and other function keys are reassigned to system tasks. Anyone have a workaround. I know I can do text comparisons from the menu pulldown. I'm not sure I want to disable the keyboard's default.

I find this odd since this functionality in the newer keyboard has been around for awhile. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 128
Levi D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 1:10 PM

Go to "System Preferences" and select "Keyboard"  (You can type either one into Spotlight if you need help finding it). 

On the keyboard tab in the Keyboard window, check "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys."

OR If your keyboard has an "fn" key, you can also hold it down and press the desired function key.

You might want to scan through the "Keyboard Shortcuts" tab in System Preferences | Keyboard to see if F7 has been assigned to something. You can reassign it from there.

Grace be to you.

I spent most of my time in thinking of divine things, year after year; often walking alone in the woods and solitary places for meditation, soliloquy and prayer - Jonathan Edwards

Posts 2710
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 1:41 PM

Wow, that was almost painless. Thank you Levi!  I checked the box for normal use and it works like I remember. I might want to investigate another way later. I had also gotten into the habit of tapping the F11 key to getting to the desktop quickly but the new keyboard had reassigned it to the volume control. We are creatures of habit so I might just leave it alone. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 128
Levi D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 2:00 PM

Smile You are very welcome.

I spent most of my time in thinking of divine things, year after year; often walking alone in the woods and solitary places for meditation, soliloquy and prayer - Jonathan Edwards

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS