Why less women?

Page 12 of 15 (282 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last »
This post has 281 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 28 2010 7:04 PM

Linda ... specific to your example of an english definition, those are also included in the interlinears as another line. Actually there's often 2 choices of english, depending on your preferences. But I've not seen in-line editing in any product. I wrote my own Bible software mainly for analytics and pattern visualization. Like you, I wanted to write directly into the text, so I included that in my own software. The idea is quite handy especially when you don't agree with the translation or want to expand it a bit.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 24916
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 12:41 AM

Linda

Apologies for referring to you by your last name in my earlier post.

Graham

Posts 656
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 2:07 PM

This is not to say that women can't learn the finer points of Logos at all. They certainly can. Before I did say that I don't think as many women are into computers and this type of Bible software as men are. They just like different things and at this point study the Bible differently. I am just throwing out the statement that someone made that Logos "just needs to work." What if there was a scaled down version, a version that gives you the basics and prioritizes your books and sets up collections and reading plans and so forth for you. Would that be helpful for people who might not normally be into this kind of software?

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 5:03 PM

Jack Caviness:
I consider myself to be a Biblical Fundamentalist in the tradition of The Fundamentals. Most who call themselves Fundamentals today are cultural and social fundamentalists. One of my previous professors reportedly stated that "If you are not fighting with someone, you are not a true Fundamentalist."

I would join your group if the label were not so mis-understood. I relate very favorably to R.A.Torrey's "The Fundamentals"  I am afraid I don't rise to the fighting part. I tried to join a forum called "Fighting Fundamentalists" but they rejected my application! ~~true story~~

I truly believe I am somewhat tolerant because I have attended worship service in a Fundamentalist congregation since 1997. Surprise I have had many opportunities to "tolerate" and love the brethren. Sometimes their passion amazes me.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 325
Rene Atchley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 5:28 PM

Jeremy:

This is not to say that women can't learn the finer points of Logos at all. They certainly can. Before I did say that I don't think as many women are into computers and this type of Bible software as men are. They just like different things and at this point study the Bible differently. I am just throwing out the statement that someone made that Logos "just needs to work." What if there was a scaled down version, a version that gives you the basics and prioritizes your books and sets up collections and reading plans and so forth for you. Would that be helpful for people who might not normally be into this kind of software?

Why should they worry their pretty little heads with all that langauge stuff....they could just ask a man..who knows how to just press a button for all the automated information...lol...Devil  On a more serious note i wonder what women think about needing a easy mode for this software.

Posts 10826
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 5:45 PM

Matthew C Jones:
I am afraid I don't rise to the fighting part.

I know you did not do it intentionally, but you too this comment out-of-context. After the quote, I added "I wonder whatever happened to Romans 12:18. In other words, I thought he was totally wrong. We are called to contend for the faith, but we are not to be contentious (unfortunately, I sometimes fail in this part).

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 5:55 PM

Rene Atchley:
i wonder what women think about needing a easy mode for this software
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 7:47 PM

Rene Atchley:
Why should they worry their pretty little heads with all that langauge stuff....they could just ask a man..who knows how to just press a button for all the automated information...lol...Devil  On a more serious note i wonder what women think about needing a easy mode for this software.

I am glad you qualified the first half of your post as a less-serious note. My wife doesn't lurk much on the forums but she does go for all that language stuff. Until I got her Logos she would cover the dining room table with language reference works digging for the gold to be found beneath the text. An "easy mode" of exclusively in-depth language study would be welcomed by her. She is much less concerned with what my heroes (Ironside, Geisler, Schaeffer, MacArthur, McGee, WBC, NIC*T, etc) have to say in the matter.    ( How in the world do we get along? We are so different sometimes. Angel Devil )

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 7:52 PM

Rene Atchley:
i wonder what women think about needing a easy mode for this software.

EASY MODE = ??

• fast booting
  • birds singing while it boots
  • no commentaries
  • no systematic theologies
  • no banner ads or push marketing
  • pastel customizable toolbars & borders
  • integrated word studies & language helps
  • daily muffin recipe suggestions.

It is possible, you know.

Posts 325
Rene Atchley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 11:50 PM

Some of this thread has, or is, becoming an excuse to repeat what has happened to women theologically and culturally for a thousands years or more in the west imo.  Suchoki and Reuther are not particularly my cup of tea but they tend to point out the paternalism that allows whole communities of believers to classify categories of individuals as less in the Kingdom. 

If there is a need for a better or easier interface then there is obviously a problem with the interface without regard to one's physical formation.  If there is a problem with cost of the product that is so without regard to one's physical formation.  If there is a problem with endless meaningless buy more stuff from this company then it exists without regard to one's physical formation.  When an OT professor of theology has a problem getting a piece of software to work then there is a problem without regard to his or her physical formation.  So whats the point?  What problems and strength exists with Logos software does so independent of gender and which hormones they have in their body imo.   Sell more product=improve the product.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 30 2010 12:59 AM

Rene Atchley:
Sell more product=improve the product.

I can think of another reason there is a gender disparity found among Logos users. Around my neighborhood the women folk tend to work longer than the men. If they are busy from sunrise till midnight they will not find the time to discover, explore or use Logos. So if the busy people can be introduced to Logos and be convinced it will save them time while making their Bible study more productive, then they just might go for it.

Wider exposure = more sales

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 30 2010 3:21 AM

Rene Atchley:

Some of this thread has, or is, becoming an excuse to repeat what has happened to women theologically and culturally for a thousands years or more in the west imo.  Suchoki and Reuther are not particularly my cup of tea but they tend to point out the paternalism that allows whole communities of believers to classify categories of individuals as less in the Kingdom. 

If there is a need for a better or easier interface then there is obviously a problem with the interface without regard to one's physical formation.  If there is a problem with cost of the product that is so without regard to one's physical formation.  If there is a problem with endless meaningless buy more stuff from this company then it exists without regard to one's physical formation.  When an OT professor of theology has a problem getting a piece of software to work then there is a problem without regard to his or her physical formation.  So whats the point?  What problems and strength exists with Logos software does so independent of gender and which hormones they have in their body imo.   Sell more product=improve the product.

YesYesYesYesYes

Posts 219
Dennis Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 30 2010 4:11 AM

A product that works as advertised = Happier Customers who won't look elsewhere for a product that actually works as advertised.

Posts 1
Deni Avant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 31 2010 3:18 PM

We’ve gotten some great feedback here. Thank you all for your input!

We’re really trying to make 2011 the year that we get into this incredible market. This market could greatly benefit from our products, but what are the best ways to reach them? How can we let them know about all the fantastic features of Logos?

Let us know what you think!

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 31 2010 6:14 PM

Deni Avant:
what are the best ways to reach them?

My wife & her friends (mostly church ladies) have limited their interaction with the secular world (no Oprah, GMA or similar TV.)

I have noticed they DO spend a lot of time on facebook and listen to Christian "family" radio programming. Snail-mail gets to them if directly addressed. Otherwise they all seem very busy with children, husbands, and ministering in their neighborhoods and at church. (They avoid telemarketers.)

This is just the observations of a stay-at-home husband with a very busy wife.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 1 2011 4:17 AM

Deni Avant:

We’ve gotten some great feedback here. Thank you all for your input!

We’re really trying to make 2011 the year that we get into this incredible market. This market could greatly benefit from our products, but what are the best ways to reach them? How can we let them know about all the fantastic features of Logos?

Let us know what you think!

Hi Deni,

I am assuming that you work for Logos even thou you do not have a Logos' icon below your name.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, address the issues that cause only 7% of your users to be female BEFORE you attempt to "get into this incredible market."  If you do not address the issues, you will be driving customers away from Logos.

If the changes that need to be made force the male designers/decision makers to eat crow, make them eat crow before you attempt to "get into this incredible market." Wink

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 1 2011 5:55 AM

tom collinge:
If the changes that need to be made force the male designers/decision makers to eat crow,

edited:   If we are going to try to attract ladies to use Logos software I am going to have to learn not to post pictures of guys with crows stuffed in their mouths.

HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody!

Guys, you've only got a few more hours to buy your wife a Bible Study Library and add the Christmas 2010 Master Collection for 97% off retail.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 1 2011 7:15 AM

Deni Avant:
This market could greatly benefit from our products, but what are the best ways to reach them?

Some items from standard consumer research:

• Word of mouth is often the best way to promote a product or service to women.
    • Highlight the benefits
      • Communicate clearly what the benefit is but be interesting and stylish in the way it's promoted.
    • Provide incentive referrals (this is often cited as the most effective)
  • Speak to women about how your product or service is going to appeal to them as a mom, a wife, a daughter, a friend, or a partner.
    • An affordable home school curriculum will open up a market of  2,378,000 potential customers.
  • Women multi-task. Make sure you are hitting women from all angles.
    • In their cars,
    • In their homes
    • At the stores
    • In their workplace.
  • Think non-linear, look for marketing opportunities across the board.
    • Look at advertising on radio
    • Billboards
    • In-store
    • Through demographically appropriate print
    • On-line
    • Direct mail

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 1 2011 7:19 AM

A good reference:

How To Market To Women

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 298
Kaye Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 7 2011 4:26 PM

I posted a question to an online study class I am getting ready to take asking the instructor if I needed any resources outside of a Logos package to get through the inductive study of Matthew.  I have gotten FIVE emails from women already.  They want to know all about Logos - what I use it for, how to get more info, differences in the packages, how it compares to other free and paid ways to study using a computer, etc.  Two own it and are overwhelmed.  The others are considering a purchase.

K

"But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry."  2 Timothy 4:5 (NASB)

Page 12 of 15 (282 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 Next > ... Last » | RSS