ABD- typo, or weird font issue?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1574
Ben | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 20 2010 10:13 AM

IN the Anchor Bible Dictionary, in the first few lines of the article Belteshazzar, it says "and is a shortened form of a name that originally consisted of an Ÿ invocation of a god,"

What's that umlau'd Y supposed to be?

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 20 2010 10:24 AM

Ben:

IN the Anchor Bible Dictionary, in the first few lines of the article Belteshazzar, it says "and is a shortened form of a name that originally consisted of an Ÿ invocation of a god,"

What's that umlau'd Y supposed to be?

This is just a guess, but I think that strange character is an error for a formatting code that was somehow misread as a printable character. If you read the sentence as if that character doesn't exist, it makes perfect sense.

Have you reported the typo?

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1574
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 20 2010 10:27 AM

I haven't yet. I thought maybe it was some technical kind of notation that wasn't showing up right. I do have some other odd font issues in some new downloads, so I wasn't sure.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 20 2010 10:48 AM

Ben:

I haven't yet. I thought maybe it was some technical kind of notation that wasn't showing up right. I do have some other odd font issues in some new downloads, so I wasn't sure.

I just did a search for this character and it shows up in a few other places as well. Each time it looks more like an added character, than as something significant.

For example on p. 790 (Vol 1) " cooking pots were cracked, and pottery was left Ÿ in fragments." There's a similar addition later in that same article (Vol 1, p. 792).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS