Parallels/Vmware vs. L4 Mac (Worth it?)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 87
Ray D | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 21 2010 7:31 AM

For those running L4 Win on Parallels/Vmware is there noticeable improvement on performance (scrolling, screen painting, etc) over running the native Mac app? If there is, I just might abandon L4 Mac and invest in a Parallels/Vmware installation of L4 Win until such time that L4 Mac gets the much needed improvements in this area.

Posts 12
Pierre-David Pfister | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2010 1:05 PM

Hi Ray,

Did you try VirtualBox? It's free.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

-Pierre

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2010 1:46 PM

On my iMac with better specs than my Macbook Pro, running Logos within VMWare is much snappier than the Mac version. On my late 2007 Macbook Pro it is still faster within VMWare, though not quite as significant a difference. 

That said, I don't know if it would be a good idea to invest in a virtual machine and windows license. Although I am not happy that performance is not getting more attention, I am confident that it will continue to improve and that we will eventually see a nice, responsive Logos for Mac. I have no idea how long until "eventually" gets here, but each new release does show slight improvements so I don't know if it would be worth paying the money for a VM now only to find that an acceptable level of performance is just around the corner.

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2010 1:57 PM

Chris Roberts:
Although I am not happy that performance is not getting more attention

I'm not sure where the myth that we're not paying attention to performance is coming from. Investigating performance issues is currently my primary task, and many others are spending time on it, as well.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 5318
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2010 2:10 PM

David Mitchell:

Chris Roberts:

I'm not sure where the myth that we're not paying attention to performance is coming from. Investigating performance issues is currently my primary task, and many others are spending time on it, as well.

I have noticed significant improvements over the past 2 months (I am on Beta). I also have only rarely (if ever) experienced many of these problems others are complaining about., I still wonder if many of these problems might be solved by running disk utility. I thank you for your effort, and remember you just can't win sometimes, had you waited till January 2011 or whenever things are fairly properly optimized you would have had people screaming when will the mac version be ready... 

-Dan

Posts 216
Dan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2010 2:11 PM

If you can get a deal on the software and if you spend a lot of time in Logos each week, then I would definitely go the Windoze route. I use both every week, almost every day. Windoze is still faster for most things--although with the last couple of updates L4Mac does load faster than Parallels/L4Win (finally). So I find myself using the Mac for quick things. But if I'm gonna be in Logos for a while I'll use the Windoze version.

I have several major apps (Final Cut, Photoshop, Office, InDesign, etc) on my MacBook Pro and L4Mac is the slowest to load and the least responsive app on my computer. But it is improving--slowly and I hope surely!

Just my 2 cents.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2010 2:23 PM

David Mitchell:

Chris Roberts:

I know attention is being given to performance issues, but I wish even more attention were being given to performance issues. :)

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2010 2:53 PM

Ray D:

For those running L4 Win on Parallels/Vmware is there noticeable improvement on performance (scrolling, screen painting, etc) over running the native Mac app? If there is, I just might abandon L4 Mac and invest in a Parallels/Vmware installation of L4 Win until such time that L4 Mac gets the much needed improvements in this area.

I cannot speak for others here. But I don't see any real difference myself. Searches are considerably faster on the Mac side, yet displaying those results are slightly longer. Passage Guides are about the same on either platform. Scrolling is a little smoother on the Mac. Contrast is much better on the Mac. I definitely prefer the Mac interface. I will add to this that I have moved from 13MBP to 15MBP to 17MBP over the last month. There was noticeable difference in the GUI at each step. I think it is a combination of the I5 processor and the dedicated video. I really wish it were true for everyone one Mac, but for me it is working Awesome!

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 2553
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2010 3:19 PM

Mac is slower for syntax searching, parallel passages and a bit on the morph search side. The Word by Word section in the EG and notes still are a bit behind L4Win. I removed the parallels version with the latest beta. Unless you are doing lots of complex searching, or the other tools I mentioned, I find L4 Mac great. 4.2 which is in beta is much faster, you may want to wait until it goes gold. I have a 2008 MBP 2.4 Ghz with 4 Gigs of Ram and 7200 rpm HD.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2010 6:10 PM

Fastest way to run Logos 4 in Windows on a Mac is Boot Camp - avoids virtualization overhead.  When booting Mac, can choose Mac OS X or Windows (Apple provides hardware device drivers for Windows).

Logos 4 Mac Wiki page has links for tweaking virtual machines => http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Mac#Need_Logos_4_PC_feature.3f

Depends on Mac and virtual machine configuration whether Windows virtualization faster or slower for Logos 4.  On 27" iMac with 2.8 GHz Quad Core i7, virtualization was noticeably slower for indexing Logos 4 library (limited virtual machines to 2 CPU's instead of 4).

While using Snow Leopard's 64 bit kernel, observed 64 bit Windows about 20% faster than 32 bit Windows for indexing identical Logos 4 libraries.

Primarily used Windows version for comparison with Logos 4 Mac features, including screen shots.

Likewise concur Logos 4.2a beta impressive (albeit with some bugs) - looking forward to feature parity in Gold release.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS