Question: Is anyone else getting a new popup tab while being on Logos Forums?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 22 2010 8:48 AM

When I click on a link today (not all, but more than once) within Logos' forums, I am getting a new tab is opening.  The URL is first going to http://results.google-analytics.com/, then I am taken to a varied of pages, ivillage.com, candystand.com, and a couple of others.  

This is happening in all of the browsers that I use, and this is only happening on the Logos' forums.

Posts 9488
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 9:00 AM

I am not noticing anything unusual.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 9:00 AM

tom collinge:

When I click on a link today (not all, but more than once) within Logos' forums, I am getting a new tab is opening.  The URL is first going to http://results.google-analytics.com/, then I am taken to a varied of pages, ivillage.com, candystand.com, and a couple of others.  

This is happening in all of the browsers that I use, and this is only happening on the Logos' forums.

Not getting this here using Firefox 4.0b7, or IE 8 (64bit).

Is this for all links or only certain links? Can you point to a specific instance where this happens consistently?

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 13418
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 9:19 AM

Sounds to me as though your computer is infected. I'd try a security/adware scan.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 9:48 AM

Mark Barnes:

Sounds to me as though your computer is infected. I'd try a security/adware scan.

Thanks for your quick feedback, and I am running a scan right now.

I first noticed this with Chrome.  Because I do not know what link caused this to happen.  I clicked and I clicked, and nothing that I did caused this to happen again.

I then started IE, and it happened on when I clicked "general."  Again, I could not make this popup happen again.

So I started Opera, and this time the popup happened when I clicked "Sign in."  Again, this is the only time it happened.

So I started Safari.  This time it happened when I clicked on "Logos 4 Mac."

So I stated Flock.  This time it happened when I clicked on "RefTagger."

When I close a browser and restart it, I still do not get the popup.

In summary, this what I have discover so far.  

• It is only happening once per browser, and it happens on the first click.  
  • It is happening in all of my browsers.  
  • It is only happening within Logos' forums.

Posts 1556
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 9:52 AM

I'm using Chrome and it's not happening to me.

Peter

Posts 13418
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 10:20 AM

If the scan doesn't find anything, then next time it happens, go to the Logos page the 'caused' the problem,and save the page as a .html file. Then zip it and upload it here, and tell us which link was affected.

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 12:40 PM

In Internet Explorer 8, if you go to Tools --> Manage addons, it will give you a list of what is running with IE8.  I have discovered some things running here that I never installed (thanks to my children :)) and was able to disable it here.

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 6 2011 2:59 PM

I thought I would give everyone an update.

I ran a scan, and that did not find anything.  So I downloaded another program to search for a virus/spyware, and it did not find anything.  So I downloaded another program that looks for viruses/spyware, and it did not find anything.  I then restored my computer to a restore point that I knew was before I noticed this strange behavior.  This did not correct the problem.  So I disabled all of the services and prevented everything from starting when I turn on the computer.  This did not fix the problem.  So I decided to reformat my hard drive, and.... this did not fix the problem.  

After saying a few choice words that would mark Martin Luther proud of me, I reset the modem and wireless router.  Bingo, this corrected the problem.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 6 2011 3:04 PM

well done!YesYesYesYes

Posts 26795
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 6 2011 3:09 PM

tom collinge:
After saying a few choice words that would mark Martin Luther proud of me

In fluent German? Did he also play bingo!Big Smile

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19262
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 6 2011 3:26 PM

tom collinge:

I thought I would give everyone an update.

I ran a scan, and that did not find anything.  So I downloaded another program to search for a virus/spyware, and it did not find anything.  So I downloaded another program that looks for viruses/spyware, and it did not find anything.  I then restored my computer to a restore point that I knew was before I noticed this strange behavior.  This did not correct the problem.  So I disabled all of the services and prevented everything from starting when I turn on the computer.  This did not fix the problem.  So I decided to reformat my hard drive, and.... this did not fix the problem.  

After saying a few choice words that would mark Martin Luther proud of me, I reset the modem and wireless router.  Bingo, this corrected the problem.

Wow, I'm impressed that you did all of that (and you must have reinstalled Windows, too) in five hours! Glad you got the problem sorted out. Sorry you didn't try the last solution before wasting all that other time. That's always how it turns out, eh? The last thing we try is always the one that works. Hmmph! Smile

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 6 2011 10:32 PM

Rosie Perera:
The last thing we try is always the one that works.

OH!!!  So True Rosie, So True!!!!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS