Jerusalem and Biblical Places

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 24777
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 22 2010 9:47 AM | Locked

If I right-click on Jerusalem (Mark 3:22 NIV), the popup menu doesn't give me an option to go to Biblical Places even though Jerusalem is an entry in BP.

Any thoughts as to why this might be?

Graham

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 10:01 AM | Locked

I am glad you mentioned this, recently I have noticed this too with Zechariah in some verse (not NIV, probably ESV but I don't remember), I was in a hurry and I just brought up Biblical People and found it directly. Your issue is same in ESV too.

Note this - right click on Jesus in NIV Mark 4.1. It only shows Biblical Things for the Boat! No person?

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 10:01 AM | Locked

This is happening in 4.2Sr1 too.

Also noticed that Gerasenes is popping up a Person instead of Place in Mark 5:1 NIV.

Jerusalem in Mark 7:2 works.

EDIT: i suspect these are errors in their marking of the database.

EDIT2: i think that we can report these things here:  data@logos.com – to report problems with Biblical People, Places, and Things (found in wiki http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_Email_Addresses)

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 24777
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 10:04 AM | Locked

Thanks gents

Also if I click on "Cyrene" in Matthew 27:32 I don't get an option to go to Cyrene in Biblical Places but do get "Cyrenian" in Biblicak People.

Something strange is going on - I'll create another entry with a Bug tag

Graham

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 1:35 PM | Locked

I'm seeing the same issues and will submit report. Thanks.

Posts 959
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 30 2010 11:45 AM | Locked

A few different things are going on here.

• In Mark 3:22, the absence of Jerusalem is a data error on our end, which i've queued up for correction
  • In Mk 4:1, the name "Jesus" doesn't occur in the source text (compare the ESV translation). Since Biblical People and Places only include named things at present, references like this aren't part of our data (though we're working on an enhancement that will include mentions types other than proper names). (You get the boat on the right-click because of our matching rules: "Boat of Jesus' Teaching" is the closest )
  • Mt 27:32 is a similar problem: the source text might be more literally rendered as "a man, a Cyrenian, Simon by name". Since we've annotated the source text (to ensure we're not tied to any particular translation), the name is therefore Cyrenian, not Cyrene.
  • In Mk 5:1, Gerasenes is indeed a "person" (group of people), the residents of Gerasa, not a place (that's Gerasa). Eventually we'll also have the relationship between the two, but not yet. 

Lastly, if you find data errors like this, please feel free to report them to data@logos.com as Steve suggested.

Posts 24777
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 30 2010 1:13 PM | Locked

Hi Sean

Thanks for looking at this and the very comprehensive response.

It makes sense - the enhancements you mention will be useful but at least we understand what is going on.

Graham

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS