Rich Resources on "Moslem"

Page 3 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 47 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 13 2011 9:25 AM

Matthew C Jones:

And proudly reported in Numbers 25:7-8 is a similar account. I doubt Moses had a problem with God, Phinehas or the end of the plague. edit: This was an account of Israel's return to affirmation of  a one-God theocracy, intolerant of the  other "gods" of the Midianites (similar to Saudi Arabia, No?)

Hi Matthew - yes a difficult passage. I have an even (would worse be the right word?) more problematic passage. Judges 19-21 starting with Judges 19, 'A Levite and His Concubine'. If ever there was a (difficult) passage which I would like to say to the Lord "why did this story have to go into the Bible? Couldn't it have been toned down, glossed over, just a bit!" this would be it. The excuse the Israelites came up with for this sorry story was "In those days there was no king in Israel. Everyone did what was right in his own eyes." You can say that again.

The Levite (so a 'religious' person, no ordinary Israelite) tosses his concubine out to be violently abused by (what seems like) the basest sort of men - to save himself from abuse. Then in the morning he seems to casually prod his concubine (who by this stage is lying dead on the doorstep, and who no doubt all during the night was screaming her head off) and says let's be going!

A terrible story, and one which as I said, we ask ourselves how could a loving God allow. And there are many other similar stories in the Old Testament.

But that's the key point, it was the Old Testament - and inbetween the Old Testament and us now stands the cross, and all that represents. And for me, when I look at the founder of Islam (600 years after the cross) and compare him to the Lord it seems very much to me that Muhammad is very much acting in the old dispensation. His theology definitely is.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 13 2011 9:28 AM

M.J.  Bill Musk has also written an excellent book called something like:  Holy War, explaining why some Muslims turn to violent Jihad etc.

Patrick, I was very disappointed when I managed to get hold of Mark Gabriel's Islam and Terrorism.  I was shocked that someone so naive could become a professor at Al Azhar university.  There are Muslims who believe the Qur'an commands violent Jihad, and there are others who believe that the better  and higher Jihad is war against our own sinful tendencies.  It depends  which verse you believe abrogates which, and that's a matter about which Muslim scholars disagree.

Whether ex -Muslim converts to Christianity turn against Islam or not is sometimes influenced by the church they join.  In our local town Muslim origin Believers are often hostile to Islam,  as is the local church.  In our village they see Jesus as surpassing what they used to believe, but they still have respect for the faith of their Muslim ancestors and family members.  Probably partly because we don't go in for polemics.

Incidentally Mark Gabriel has 2 inconsistent accounts of his mistreatment at the hands of the police within the covers of the one book.  

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 13 2011 9:36 AM

P.S. I am inspired by Stephen Massoud's books, e.g. Toward the Light and ??Why Believe in Jesus?.  The story of the search of an originally loyal Muslim who starts comparing Qur'an and Bible.  He's beaten up and his father, I think, tries to murder him, and he's mistrusted and cold-shouldered by the church at one point.  He writes about terrible mistreatment, without bitterness, and always with respect for those who oppose and insult him.  The books contain helpful, respectful answers to Muslim objections.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 13 2011 5:35 PM

Patrick S.:
I have an even (would worse be the right word?) more problematic passage.

My father has been a minister and missionary longer than I've been alive. My parents both taught me to respect and believe the Bible. I am familiar with many "hard sayings" and grapple with them for a better understanding. This does not cast any doubt on the Bible in my heart. 

My curiosity is piqued whenever something sounds "strange." I use my background commentaries and similar resources to gain a deeper understanding. It rarely is a matter of importance to effect salvation. But it builds a stronger faith in me to understand.

Just this morning it occurred to me God commanded Noah & his sons to "be fruitful & multiply" when they left the ark. Why is there no record of Noah ever having more sons & daughters? Certainly it was God's will since he commanded it, right? And why did not Shem, Ham & Japheth have any children before the flood? That is another of the "strange" accounts and I have every confidence in it being truthful.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 35
Debessay | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2011 10:25 PM

Thanks alot for your priceless informations on the subject matter I have raised. I always encounter with moslim people @ my work place. They always raise topics and say the only true religion is ours. This thing has compelled me now to conduct a deep research or study about this religion for instance; its point/s of deviation/s from the Bible and the contradictions within it and etc. just for the sake of evangelism. Thus, I have really appreciated your feedbacks 

IN HIS LEGACY

Posts 59
Y2K2 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2011 10:45 PM

I also have been motivated to learn more about Islam and how it differs from Christianity and Judaism. Some of my Muslim colleagues at work are very surprised at my knowledge of their faith. I think some of them are also challenged by it because they themselves have a superficial knowledge of their faith, just as many Christians do.

Posts 41
Marcus Vanhountenmeyer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 27 2011 12:41 PM

It would be nice if Logos would produce an Arabic-English lexicon and put the Koran (Quran / Qur'an), at least the Ali translation, in an interlinear form.  maybe they could throw in a few Islamic textual criticism books (Ie. "The Origins of the Koran" [http://www.amazon.com/Origins-Koran-Classic-Essays-Islams/dp/157392198X/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t]) and a few other apologetic references (Like "Answering Islam").  I am learning that textual criticism of the Quran is still in its infancy due largely to the lack of sources and the violent reactions from Muslims against questioning the Quran.

Posts 33245
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 27 2011 3:31 PM

While it is still incomplete, you might want to check out the reading list "A Common Word documents"

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 3 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS