Page 5 of 6 (107 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 106 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10634
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 16 2011 2:44 PM

Fred Chapman:

Didn't you teach that dog to put the remote away?

Logos search for remote NEAR dog yielded 4 results in 2 articles (BibSac Vol 42 and Preaching with Spiritual Passion)

Posts 4711
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 16 2011 3:11 PM

Jack Caviness:

She was not finished with it yet.Big Smile

Posts 10634
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 16 2011 3:20 PM

Fred Chapman:

Jack Caviness:

She was not finished with it yet.Big Smile

Unless the camera is mounted on top of the television, she is not watching. Geeked

Posts 19
Word Explorer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 16 2011 6:19 PM

Fred Chapman:

Royal Nut:

How did a cat get into this ?

Who are you calling a cat?

Oh my, Fluffy has a puppy who thinks she's a cat Wink

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 16 2011 6:53 PM

Royal Nut:
Oh my, Fluffy has a puppy who thinks she's a cat Wink

Wondering about King of Fluff puppy ? initial post included ignore:

Pizza Searching Logos library for puppy NEAR food found an inspiring thought:

The first time she cried for help, the mother addressed Jesus as “Son of David,” a Jewish title; but the next time she cried out for help, she simply said, “Lord, help me” (Matt. 15:25). It was then that Jesus spoke about feeding the children (Israel) first and not throwing their food to “the little pet puppies.” Jesus was not calling the Gentiles “dirty scavenger dogs” as did many of the proud Jews; He was giving her hope, and she took hold of it.

Wiersbe, W. W. (1996). The Bible exposition commentary (Mk 7:24). Wheaton, Ill.: Victor Books.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 16 2011 7:13 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

The first time she cried for help, the mother addressed Jesus as “Son of David,” a Jewish title; but the next time she cried out for help, she simply said, “Lord, help me” (Matt. 15:25). It was then that Jesus spoke about feeding the children (Israel) first and not throwing their food to “the little pet puppies.” Jesus was not calling the Gentiles “dirty scavenger dogs” as did many of the proud Jews; He was giving her hope, and she took hold of it.

Wiersbe, W. W. (1996). The Bible exposition commentary (Mk 7:24). Wheaton, Ill.: Victor Books.

He actually wrote that !!!  Now you know why I pay no attention to Wiersbe.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 17 2011 8:30 AM

Maybe we ought to put Eugene Peterson in the ring with Warren Wiersbe for a "Celebrity Death Match" 
          "little pet puppies"    ... versus....   "beggar dogs"
                                             Here is how "The Message" renders it:

27 She was quick: “You’re right, Master, but beggar dogs do get scraps from the master’s table.”

28 Jesus gave in. “Oh, woman, your faith is something else. What you want is what you get!” Right then her daughter became well.

We can just ignore the part where Jesus "gave in"....as if he did not like healing Gentiles.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 17 2011 8:52 AM

Matthew C Jones:
Maybe we ought to put Eugene Peterson in the ring with Warren Wiersbe for a "Celebrity Death Match" 
          "little pet puppies"    ... versus....   "beggar dogs"

As a matter of fact, most dogs then were either "working dogs", i.e., shepherds, or were simply scavengers.  They were not "little pet puppies."  Wiersbe's comment is based on the fact that κυνάριον is a diminutive.  The problem there is that many diminutives, including this one, had lost their significance of being diminutives. 

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 17 2011 10:53 AM

I find it difficult to imagine the head of the household allowing dirty scavenging stray dogs into the house at mealtimes.  Puppies, maybe, because even working dogs are not sexless!  Lap dogs???  I'd be surprised.  Our society in Albania has much in common with Biblical times.  Dogs are not allowed into the house, except for the few  lapdogs that have wormed their way in. Even my dearly beloved guard dogs, mongrel Albanian sheep dogs, who feed on the fat of the land (bread, some dog biscuit and cow's guts and lungs), and whom I never tie up, are NOT allowed in the house.  In fact, thinking over how it would be here, the dog will usually be fed after the meal with the scraps that remain - my poor dogs don't get much apart from fruit and vegetable peelings as I seldom leave food.  So maybe the woman's saying:  I know I don't have the right to eat with the family, but can't I be like the dog that gets fed on what the family doesn't want?

Posts 27640
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 17 2011 4:40 PM

Our working dogs (generally Australian blue shepherds) were always of the opinion that if a calf got put in the basement to warm up, they should get in too. The fact that the calf was a newborn didn't seem to sway themSmile And after Grandma gave up her milking goats, she let the cat in the house for a bit of warmed milk - something she tried very hard to hide from us. So who knows what the Biblical woman REALLY let happen.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 17 2011 9:05 PM

In Mark 7:28, used logos to do a Bible Word Study for dogs - κυνάριον - several lemma lexicon entries have little dog or house dog, noted ESV translation has little dog - clicked list of verses: Mt 15:26, 15:27, Mk 7:27, & Mk 7:28.

nicky crane:

I find it difficult to imagine the head of the household allowing dirty scavenging stray dogs into the house at mealtimes.  Puppies, maybe, because even working dogs are not sexless!  Lap dogs???  I'd be surprised.  Our society in Albania has much in common with Biblical times.  Dogs are not allowed into the house, except for the few  lapdogs that have wormed their way in. Even my dearly beloved guard dogs, mongrel Albanian sheep dogs, who feed on the fat of the land (bread, some dog biscuit and cow's guts and lungs), and whom I never tie up, are NOT allowed in the house.  In fact, thinking over how it would be here, the dog will usually be fed after the meal with the scraps that remain - my poor dogs don't get much apart from fruit and vegetable peelings as I seldom leave food.  So maybe the woman's saying:  I know I don't have the right to eat with the family, but can't I be like the dog that gets fed on what the family doesn't want?

United Bible Societies - A Handbook on The Gospel of Matthew offers similar sentiments about Palestinian household feeding in Matthew 15:26 logosres:ubshbk61;ref=Bible.Mt15.26;off=1

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 17 2011 9:06 PM

Abi Gail:

George Somsel:

Abi Gail:

George Somsel:
Anything that says "ignore" always gets plenty of attention.

Will one of you scholars please  verify that the word "ignorant" evolved from the word "ignore"? 

No, not from "ignore."  Rather, both came from the Greek γινώσκω (γιγνώσκω) meaning "to know" (among other things).  The "ig-" part is actually "in-" which changes before the "γ" in γινώσκω for reasons of euphonism.  The "ig-", of course, is the negation.

That being the case ... Please  ignore my question

For Logos search, learned to uncheck "Match all word forms" - then search for ignorant NEAR ignore finds interesting results, including Strongs # 50 logosres:strngdichebgrk;ref=GreekStrongs.50 and concise Oxford dictionary ignorant definition logosres:coed11;hw=ignorant that includes see ignore (along with reference to French and Latin).  Now wondering about ignore relationship between greek and latin ?

Logos bible search of Biblia Sacra Vulgate for ignorant does find 11 verses.  An online dictionary definition of ignorant http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ignorant includes first known use 14th century - seems to ignore over a thousand years of Latin Vulgate use.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 236
Michael March | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 18 2011 5:33 AM

Careful, this thread is actually starting to get interesting...

Windows PC - Android Phone - Surface Pro 4

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 18 2011 7:39 AM

Michael March:

Careful, this thread is actually starting to get interesting...

Searching Logos library for ignore NEAR interesting found another food example - logosres:tans7700;hw=Prophesy_By_Chicken

3953 Prophesy By Chicken

The early Romans developed a strange kind of “prophesy by chicken.” Hens were put in a cage with food. If they ate greedily, it was a good omen. But if they ignored their meal or showed only a little interest, it was an unfavorable sign. 

As in the case of Israel, however, this method of determining the future was open to abuse, and on occasions the chicken were starved beforehand to get the desired prediction. But even this didn’t always work, and during the first Punic War, one frustrated consul threw his hens into the ocean, declaring, “Let them drink if they won’t eat.”

—M. R. De Haan II 

Tan, P. L. (1996). Encyclopedia of 7700 Illustrations: Signs of the Times. Garland, TX: Bible Communications, Inc.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 18 2011 12:22 PM

M. R. De Haan II 

Here is a resource (from his daddy) you just can't ignore:

M. R. De Haan Classic Library

It was on my "must have " list and another reason I went for Portfolio Edition (it is included there-in)

I have a personal collection of De Hann's pamphlets that fill a medium size box and would love to see that collection added to Logos if permission could be granted. The good medical doctor set aside a prestigious career in medicine to introduce many souls to the Savior. Something not to be ignored.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 171
Abi Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 18 2011 12:40 PM

What part of  "Ignore" do you folks NOT understand? ... is it the "ig" or the "nore"? Smile

~

Posts 10634
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 18 2011 1:25 PM

Abi Gail:
or the "nore"? Smile

An s just inside the first quote mark would make something irritating and annoying Big Smile.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 18 2011 8:47 PM

Matthew C Jones:
I have a personal collection of De Hann's pamphlets that fill a medium size box and would love to see that collection added to Logos if permission could be granted. The good medical doctor set aside a prestigious career in medicine to introduce many souls to the Savior. Something not to be ignored.

Yes

Abi Gail:

What part of  "Ignore" do you folks NOT understand? ... is it the "ig" or the "nore"? Smile

Searching Logos for ig NEAR nore does find dictionary entries Wink

Jack Caviness:

Abi Gail:
or the "nore"? Smile

An s just inside the first quote mark would make something irritating and annoying Big Smile.

Searching Logos for snore finds many results, including a short sentence in Anointed Expository Preaching: "Drone, whine, snore!" and a quotation:

Laugh and the world laughs with you, snore and you sleep alone. —MRS. PATRICK CAMPBELL, letter (to George Bernard Shaw, 1912)

Merriam-Webster, I. (1992). The Merriam-Webster dictionary of quotations. (389). Springfield, Mass.: Merriam-Webster.

Plus a Salt Cellar proverb:

Sleepy Christians never awaken dead souls.

God uses suitable instrumentality. He gives life by the living. We cannot snore men into the kingdom.

Spurgeon, C. H. (2009). The Salt Cellars, Volume 2: Being a Collection of Proverbs, Together With Homily Notes Thereon (183). Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10634
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 19 2011 2:49 AM

Laugh and the world laughs with you, snore and you sleep alone. —MRS. PATRICK CAMPBELL, letter (to George Bernard Shaw, 1912)

It becomes worse when you wake yourself up with your own snores (not that I have any actual experience with that). Big Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 19 2011 3:16 AM

Jack Caviness:

It becomes worse when you wake yourself up with your own snores (not that I have any actual experience with that). Big Smile

Embarrassed Can be a bit startling Embarrassed

Searching Logos for ignore WITHIN 50 WORDS startling found an enigma in JFB commentary on John 1:10 logosres:jfbcomm;ref=Bible.Jn1.10

10. He was in the world, &c.—The language here is nearly as wonderful as the thought. Observe its compact simplicity, its sonorousness—“the world” resounding in each of its three members—and the enigmatic form in which it is couched, startling the reader and setting his ingenuity a-working to solve the stupendous enigma of Christ ignored in His own world. ...

Jamieson, R., Fausset, A. R., Fausset, A. R., Brown, D., & Brown, D. (1997). A commentary, critical and explanatory, on the Old and New Testaments (Jn 1:10). Oak Harbor, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 5 of 6 (107 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS