L4 not responding

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 13 2011 1:59 PM

Last night I closed L4 and shut the computer down after studying and today it will not load. The program opens and the start-up music plays but the layout does not load. All I get is the spinning circle and then the message that "logos is not responding." I've tried to enable diagnostic logging but the program will not load when holding the control key down.

I have attached the log file after attempting diagnostic logging,

Thanks for your help

8206.Logos4.log

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 13 2011 2:09 PM

Daniel Bender:

Last night I closed L4 and shut the computer down after studying and today it will not load. The program opens and the start-up music plays but the layout does not load. All I get is the spinning circle and then the message that "logos is not responding." I've tried to enable diagnostic logging but the program will not load when holding the control key down.

I have attached the log file after attempting diagnostic logging,

Thanks for your help

8206.Logos4.log

The log isn't showing a crash, nor errors, not even warnings. Sometimes Windows 7 will report that Logos4 has stopped responding while Logos is in the middle of an extended operation. I have seen this occasionally in other programs as well. So it's possible that Logos is still working in the background while Windows reports Logos "not responding." In that case, you may just need to let Logos finish what it's doing. Note that this might take a very, very long time.

This "work around" may help, if the above doesn't work: start Logos with a blank layout. To do that right click on the Logos icon on the desktop, hold down the CTRL key and select "Open." A dialog box will appear. Check the box next to "Use blank layout" and then click the "Sign In" button.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 13 2011 2:16 PM

My computer (vista) often tells me Logos is not responding, then, after a short time, it starts responding.  I don't know if your problem is a similar one, impatient Windows!?

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 13 2011 6:35 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
The log isn't showing a crash, nor errors, not even warnings. Sometimes Windows 7 will report that Logos4 has stopped responding while Logos is in the middle of an extended operation. I have seen this occasionally in other programs as well. So it's possible that Logos is still working in the background while Windows reports Logos "not responding." In that case, you may just need to let Logos finish what it's doing. Note that this might take a very, very long time.

Richard and Nicky,

Thanks for your responses. I posted the question and then ran off to a board meeting. Richard, I tried both of your suggestions. When right clicking on the Logos icon and holding down the CTRL key and selecting open I get a message saying that Logos is not responding accompanied by a blank rectangular screen. I started Logos the regular way and after running for 3.5 hrs it still will not load my layout--just a message stating that Logos is not responding in the title bar.

Any other suggestions?

Posts 27054
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 13 2011 9:38 PM

Daniel Bender:
Any other suggestions?

1. Restart the computer
  2. Run a hard drive check
  3. Make sure nothing is interfering with L4 eg. Security Suite - ensure it does not scan the \Logos4 folder; or newly installed program?
  4. Attempt to exit L4 via the Close X box - let Windows attempt a restart if that is offered, or let it diagnose.
  5. Contact Logos Technical Support

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 171
Abi Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 13 2011 10:07 PM

You might attempt ending the process in the task manager. It could be nothing more than a hung App. I would suggest rebooting after ending the process.

~

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 14 2011 4:24 AM

Abi Gail:

You might attempt ending the process in the task manager. It could be nothing more than a hung App. I would suggest rebooting after ending the process.

Thank you for your suggestions. I have tried ending the process through task manager and rebooting but these solutions have not resolved my issue. I did check my security suite to make sure that it is not causing interference with L4 and have also tried closing the program from the tray icon as Dave suggested. I will run a hard drive check and then contact tech support if I am still unable to use the program.

Thanks to all for your very quick replies.

Dan Bender

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 14 2011 4:28 AM

Dave Hooton:

Daniel Bender:
Any other suggestions?

1. Restart the computer
  2. Run a hard drive check
  3. Make sure nothing is interfering with L4 eg. Security Suite - ensure it does not scan the \Logos4 folder; or newly installed program?
  4. Attempt to exit L4 via the Close X box - let Windows attempt a restart if that is offered, or let it diagnose.
  5. Contact Logos Technical Support

Dave I have attempted #s 1, 3, 4 without success. I will re-try #3 again and run a hard drive check before contacting tech support. Thank you for your suggestions.

Posts 27054
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 14 2011 4:34 AM

Daniel Bender:
Dave I have attempted #s 1, 3, 4 without success. I will re-try #3 again and run a hard drive check before contacting tech support. Thank you for your suggestions.

Please let us know what happens.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 14 2011 6:09 PM

Dave Hooton:

Please let us know what happens.

Dave, Tech Support could not find a problem with L4 but they did figure out that something in my services/startup programs were keeping L4 from starting and running correctly. Through a long day of trial and error--and many restarts I've narrowed the problem to the "Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0" service. L4 is working fine with this service disabled. I'm not exactly sure what this service is for but am wondering if I need to replace it or update it.

Sorry it took me so long to get back with the results.

Posts 171
Abi Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 14 2011 6:30 PM

I read several threads about this issue. Most suggest disabling it if it is not needed. I can't speak to that. They also mention a conflict with the video card drivers. If you have access  to updated drivers, it might help. here is one of the threads. Good Luck.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/ff468c99-9ea5-451d-93a1-9b8d14f9b02e

~

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 14 2011 7:48 PM

Abi,

Thanks for the link. I did update my video card drivers but still have the issue of L4 not running. I've disabled the Windows Foundation Font cache and L4 is running well now. It is interesting that Jing responded the same way way L4 did but once the "font cache" service was disabled it works correctly.

Posts 27054
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 15 2011 10:21 PM

Daniel Bender:
I've disabled the Windows Foundation Font cache and L4 is running well now

Thanks for the feedback, Daniel. I can only say that there are two cache services on my Win 7 system and

• Windows Font Cache Service  is not started but set to Manual
  • Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0  is started whilst also set to Manual

And i don't have problems with L4 or other apps.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS