No Sync or Logos Web

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 20 2011 6:56 AM

Has anyone heard what the deal was last night on no ability to sync the Logos app nor access the website? It started here around 4:30-5:00 and lasted well after midnight.

I'm not going to complain to much...LOL "but" on a Wednesday night, OUCH!

Posts 1918
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 7:04 AM

I experienced the problem, too, but I'm not sure how to interpret what I saw. From my laptop in a Hyatt hotel, I could get to anywhere on the internet that I tried *except* any Logos-related site (community.logos.com, www.logos.com, biblia.com, and the sync domain). Best I can tell, the DNS infrastructure for Logos (Fibercloud ???) was having problems - the issue was that the DNS lookups for the Logos domains was timing out.

What made it more curious was that I could reach the Logos sites from my Blackberry. I thought that it might have just been something very weird with the hotel's connectivity (given that I could reach anyplace else). But if you had similar problems, it must have been a wider outage.

Donnie

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 7:18 AM

Donnie Hale:

I experienced the problem, too, but I'm not sure how to interpret what I saw. From my laptop in a Hyatt hotel, I could get to anywhere on the internet that I tried *except* any Logos-related site (community.logos.com, www.logos.com, biblia.com, and the sync domain). Best I can tell, the DNS infrastructure for Logos (Fibercloud ???) was having problems - the issue was that the DNS lookups for the Logos domains was timing out.

What made it more curious was that I could reach the Logos sites from my Blackberry. I thought that it might have just been something very weird with the hotel's connectivity (given that I could reach anyplace else). But if you had similar problems, it must have been a wider outage.

Donnie

Very interesting. So maybe some bad DNS records got propagated across more than just Fibercloud name servers yet not through the whole distributed NS system.

May be a few people upset on this one. Sparking another flare-up of "ANTI-CLOUD" computing.

Posts 8602
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 7:23 AM

In the words of colonel Klink, "I know nothing".  But I understand your pain.  :-)

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 7:41 AM

Thomas Black:

In the words of colonel Klink, "I know nothing".  But I understand your pain.  :-)

I have nothing to truly complain about as our service wasn't halted. Truth is that most would agree that we have more issues on a semi frequent basis with a service being interrupted by “other” technical issues than cloud computing by itself would cause. Though the cloud would add one more variable to deal with.

LOL, "I know nothing".  yes.... wait wasn't it Shultz who said that? Big Smile

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 7:44 AM

Looked to me like Fibercloud, a datacenter, went down, which would have taken Logos servers and DNS with it.

Posts 1918
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 7:47 AM

That's what I was thinking, right up until I could reach stuff from my Blackberry but not my laptop...

-Donnie

Posts 120
Mark Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 8:20 AM

Kind of makes you wonder what a church would have had for its presentation software last night if they were using the new Logos version of "internet only" church presentation software.

This is why being "cloud-only" will be the reason I will not purchase some softwares.  Here, with our internet service, we have several hours at a time where the internet in not available at all.  And on a fairly frequent basis.

Posts 5571
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 8:37 AM

Thomas Black:
In the words of colonel Klink, "I know nothing".

That was Sargent Shultz (John Banner).

Recently watched the entire Hogan's Heroes series on DVD. Campy, but fun.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 8602
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 8:58 AM

Richard DeRuiter:

Thomas Black:

Apparently I really "know nuzzing" Stick out tongue

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 5571
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2011 9:13 AM

Thomas Black:

Richard DeRuiter:

Thomas Black:

Apparently I really "know nuzzing" Stick out tongue

Maybe a nice, fresh  Music 'Shtrooooodle' Music will help!

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2011 9:56 AM

How come there was no official word on the event?

Posts 120
Mark Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2011 10:17 AM

Anthony H:

How come there was no official word on the event?

I second that request.  If Logos is going to continue to go "cloud based" then all problems should be investigated and tracked so that users will have some history of problems and up-time data to know how much risk we may be of being out of service for items especially like the Proclaim software.

Posts 1692
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2011 10:56 AM

Here's the answer. (Summary: It wasn't us. :-) But we are now investigating ways to avoid this particular path and not be at risk here.)

Reason for Outage

Ticket:

Service Impact: DNS traffic

Start:       5:45pm     PT                           Date: 01/19/2011

End:        10:50pm   PT                           Date: 01/19/2011

Duration:

Trouble Type: Partial DNS issue through one upstream provider

Trouble Resolution:

Overview:

The issue with DNS was due to a path problem between one of our upstream providers and our DNS servers. This event was not a full outage. All traffic coming through FiberCloud’s other upstream providers reached its destination without a problem.  Once FiberCloud rerouted traffic from the upstream provider that was having the path issue the problem was fixed.

FiberCloud will not route traffic back through this provider until they have determined the cause and fixed the path issue.

Posts 785
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2011 11:20 AM

I still have no sync

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2011 11:44 AM

I appreciate your responding. I had no doubt you were on top of a solution but rather thought it odd that it wasn't mentioned.

I would add though that my durration was longer as there was no sync before 5:30pm CT and this outage included Logos.com domains and Bibla which were all offline till after 11:30pm CT.

I do understand that my longer durration may have more to do with me being further down the "DNS pipeline" and the potential time it takes for the correct record path to propagate through the NS system.

Thanks for the update.

Anthony

Posts 28006
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2011 2:52 PM

Anthony - your experience parallels mine

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2011 2:55 PM

Mine too! The transatlantic pigeon got lost!

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 120
Mark Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 21 2011 7:05 PM

Bob,

Thank you very much for the response and its detail.  Your honesty is refreshing in today's world.

God Bless and many continued years of business.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS