Mac Pro with Solid State Drive

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 85
Mark Rodgers | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 24 2011 2:38 PM

Just in the process of purchasing the configuration below.

Am interested to see how L4 moves on a Solid State Drive.

Anyone else tested this kind of set-up yet?

Original Libronix user, living in Scotland, and running 25,500 resources on IMac (2019). Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel i9 | Ram: 64 GB Ram | Graphics Card: Radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB.

Posts 2718
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 24 2011 9:56 PM

Sounds like you've got a veritable rocket ship of a setup. A few folks are using the SSD with success. I hope the prices will come down. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2011 2:29 AM

For me moving from hd to ssd has had a bigger impact on the speed of logos than any other hardware component... Searching, running guides etc; all things that need to read piles of data of different places on disk, the drop in seek times makes a significant difference in my usage. Boot is much quicker, and other apps start a little quicker but most apps aren't  needing to read from disk so frequently once they're up and running so it doesn't make so much difference.

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2011 2:36 AM

Also, if you haven't bought yet; do consider multiple smaller SSDs in RAID. I don't know if you could do it direct from the apple store, but you could get several 60gb SSDs for a fraction of the price of one 240gb drive, and set them up in RAID0 or RAID5 depending on how worried you were about drive failure... Much better performance for less.

Posts 85
Mark Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2011 2:50 AM

Oh... raid.... nice suggestion. I have onsite and offsite backups so I dumped raid a while ago... nevertheless will re-visit this.

The problem I have is that with so manner resources, things often run slowly. All I want at the moment is speed, pure speed.

Can't wait to get the new setup... 

Original Libronix user, living in Scotland, and running 25,500 resources on IMac (2019). Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel i9 | Ram: 64 GB Ram | Graphics Card: Radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2011 3:35 AM

Mac Sales has some read benchmarks, including 2 and 3 disk SSD RAID 0 => http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/turnkey/iMac_2010_27/benchmarks/

Wiki page has several performance tips and links => http://wiki.logos.com/Mac_Troubleshooting#Slow_Performance

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 25 2011 7:07 AM

Mark Rodgers:

Am interested to see how L4 moves on a Solid State Drive.

I have done a while ago, detailed information and testing here — http://community.logos.com/forums/t/27833.aspx

If you are using this just for Logos you really only need to get drive of around same capacity as your library which you can check by doing an info on the Logos data folders.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 85
Mark Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 28 2011 6:50 PM

Patrick,

Thanks for the test (and all other's for interesting posts).

I use my Mac for work so have the bonus of using a top of the range system.

Only 8 days before the new Mac Pro arrives.

Out of interest is anyone here going to the camp logos in London, UK next month?

Big Smile

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 28 2011 7:43 PM

Mark,

Envy is such an ugly trait to pour forth from one's heart, but I'm soooo Envious of your new system............I can't wait to see if Logos runs faster on your system. I have a late 2009 iMac with 4GB of RAM. Logos, along with several other programs, is starting to slow down.

Man, I shouldn't have asked my husband for the addition on the house and asked for a new computer instead. By the way, he said NO to the addition. It had a little something to do with money...go figure.

All jokes aside, enjoy your new system and let us know if Logos runs quicker with a SSD drive. 

Blessings,

Christina

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 34
David Drew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 29 2011 3:17 PM

With such a good system, you should go the RAM disk route.

Otherwise, go RAID. Even two modest HDD will typically outperform a top-flight drive.

Five 10k disks in RAID, you'll think you're using a RAM disk. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS