How and where do I find download file for Logos 4

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 26 2011 8:20 AM

Hi,

Please forgive my ignorance - I'm brand new to Logos. Last night, I downloaded over 6 Gigs of file(s) but am not sure of the name of that file or where to find it. Usually what happens after I post something like this, I'll make a mistake and find it!!??!

But as of now, I'm in the dark. I'll appreciate a pointer as to my question. Thanks!

I'm using Windows Home Premium

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2011 8:26 AM

Phil Nickerson:
I'm brand new to Logos.
We all were at some point.  :-)

Phil Nickerson:
Last night, I downloaded over 6 Gigs of file(s) but am not sure of the name of that file or where to find it.

I'm assuming you mean......

1. That you downloaded and ran the Logos4 installer (http://www.logos.com/4ways  #see Engine Only Download at the Bottom)   
  2. That you ran the installer and subsequently ran the program and typed in your log in information 
  3. That the little blue icon in the system tray informed you that 6+ Gigs of resources were downloading.

If my assumptions are correct that simply starting Logos up this morning using the icon on your desktop or in  your start menu should initiate an indexing routine on your computer.  Indexing is the precursor to doing all of the fancy searching you see in the video's.  (http://logos.com/videos)

Does any of this sound familiar?

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2011 8:31 AM

Phil Nickerson:

Hi,

Please forgive my ignorance - I'm brand new to Logos. Last night, I downloaded over 6 Gigs of file(s) but am not sure of the name of that file or where to find it. Usually what happens after I post something like this, I'll make a mistake and find it!!??!

But as of now, I'm in the dark. I'll appreciate a pointer as to my question. Thanks!

I'm using Windows Home Premium

Logos downloads and installs itself, so no further action is needed on your part, if that's what you mean.

Resources in your Logos library can no be sorted by date, though you'll probably have to use the bottom scroll bar to find the "Last Updated" column. Click once on the column title (and let it sort), scroll to the top, and you'll see a list of "Today" and/or "Yesterday." Use the bottom scroll bar again to scroll to the left to see the names of those resources (the columns can also be moved, but Logos doesn't seem to remember between sessions).

If you want to know where your already installed files are, let us know.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2011 8:31 AM

I hate that....I have done the same thing.....

Was it a book that you downloaded?  what was the extension?  I just thought.....the PBB is not available yet for L4 and so if it was PBB's that you downloaded....it would not be readable yet.  I have one book that I waiting for this PBB to come true. 

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2011 8:33 AM

Thanks for the reply Thomas. It all does so sound familiar. Is there a particular 6 plus Gig file somewhere on my hard drive that I can save elsewhere, i.e. Thumbdrive?

Forgive me if I've overlooked something in your post - I'm in a rush right now, ready to slip back to work. I'll look for your furthered help later today. Thank you again for your quick reply.

Posts 2004
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2011 8:34 AM

Phil,

Did Logos control the downloading? There would have been a Logos icon in the tooltray during the download with the download size, etc. If so, then Logos should take care of everything. You don't need to do anything with the download files. You'll just see that Logos needs (or needed) to do some indexing. For a 6GB download, that could take a while. You didn't say which version of Windows (just Home Premium). If it's Vista or 7, the default Logos install location is under C:\Users\{userid}\Logos4.

If that's not how the download occurred, i.e. you controlled the download from your browser or perhaps an FTP client, then the files would be saved wherever you asked them to be saved (which may be a default location based on browser settings). One way to figure this out is to use the same program you used last night (e.g. Internet Explorer) and initiate another download. Make sure to explicitly choose where you want the download saved - there's a good chance that's where your files were saved last night. If you really don't need this download, you can cancel it once you've figured out the location. Note that Vista and 7 have a default "Downloads" folder that the files may have gone to.

Typically, for people using Logos and for downloads that large, it's Logos itself initiating, controlling, and processing the download. There's nothing for you to do, assuming everything worked correctly.

Donnie

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2011 8:55 AM

Phil Nickerson:
Thanks for the reply Thomas. It all does so sound familiar. Is there a particular 6 plus Gig file somewhere on my hard drive that I can save elsewhere, i.e. Thumbdrive?

No, if Logos controlled the download as Donnie suggested above, than the 6G of files was not a single file but was indeed all of the resources you purchased with Logos.  They should be in the resources directory, which you CAN backup if you desire.  It's typically located in

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\<random.string>\ResourceManager\Resources  

It's not really necessary though.  

I think all that remains is for you to load Logos and let it index those resources and start reading.  

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2011 1:44 PM

The responses here have been overwhelming and so much appreciated. Sorry I didn't inform you regarding the Windows version - I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium.

I thought there to be one executable file, so let's say, I have a crash or want to uninstall & reinstall. Is there not just one file, or is it as one has said, a number of files that I have to back up. Still, there would have to be an exe file to begin the whole process again, correct?

In the Logos directory, I see on icon amongst several what appears to be the same icon down on my taskbar - what appears to be a cross within a magnifying glass. If I back up everything that is found within this directory, would this mean then I could reinstall from this particular icon?

Sorry about the confusion - this is one of those joys of being new to a new program. I do appreciate everybody coming in on this. Thanks!

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2011 1:46 PM

I don't see an Edit for this posting - I did want to add, that it would appear to me to be a Logos controlled download. I went to their site, clicked on a number and a Logos icon came up in the middle of the screen and ultimately from there, did the download.

Anyway, I will appreciate your furthered help and instruction(s). Thanks!

Posts 2004
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2011 2:00 PM

Phil Nickerson:

I don't see an Edit for this posting - I did want to add, that it would appear to me to be a Logos controlled download. I went to their site, clicked on a number and a Logos icon came up in the middle of the screen and ultimately from there, did the download.

Anyway, I will appreciate your furthered help and instruction(s). Thanks!

To edit one of your posts, click the "More" button at the upper right of the post (next to "Reply"). Different options appear, among them "Edit" (for your posts).

Donnie

Posts 2004
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2011 2:06 PM

Phil Nickerson:

The responses here have been overwhelming and so much appreciated. Sorry I didn't inform you regarding the Windows version - I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium.

I thought there to be one executable file, so let's say, I have a crash or want to uninstall & reinstall. Is there not just one file, or is it as one has said, a number of files that I have to back up. Still, there would have to be an exe file to begin the whole process again, correct?

In the Logos directory, I see on icon amongst several what appears to be the same icon down on my taskbar - what appears to be a cross within a magnifying glass. If I back up everything that is found within this directory, would this mean then I could reinstall from this particular icon?

Sorry about the confusion - this is one of those joys of being new to a new program. I do appreciate everybody coming in on this. Thanks!

If you're referring to a single executable that acts as an installer, no such single file exists for the 6GB of resources that the download represents. There's a very small .exe you can download to install the program; and that installer downloads the full-sized application (~40MB at present). But that doesn't include any resources.

Once Logos begins downloading the resources, it manages all those details. Ultimately they end up as individual files somewhere below the "Logos4" folder. But it doesn't download a "resource installer" as a single executable and then run that. Consider that the downloads that any individual user may need at a given time can be vastly different. They'd have to create those single executables on a per-user basis, on-demand when a user decided they were ready for a download.

As far as reinstalling and backups, you can find a number of threads on the topic. Different people have different approaches. Some take the attitude that Logos knows everything we own and we can re-download it if we need to, so don't do anything - that's me ;). I believe others copy their entire Logos4 folder periodically. That does have the benefit of keeping your notes, clippings, collections, etc. in a backed up location. But Logos has those, too, assuming you let the app go online periodically to sync all that user-generated content.

Hope this helps,

Donnie

Posts 27922
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2011 2:17 PM

Phil Nickerson:

Basically, backup the \Logos4 folder to a 16 or 32 GB thumb/USB drive. That folder contains everything ie. resources, documents, and installation files. There are a number of ways to re-install or even install to another computer so you should look at this wiki article.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2011 2:22 PM

Thanks Donnie for your help. When it comes down to the wire then, I'm assuming it's best to have the DVD Disk, so if one wishes to install this on another computer, one can do so. From what I'm reading so far, it would save a bundle on Aspirins (or Tylenol if one likes this pain killer better).  :-}

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2011 2:24 PM

Ok Dave, now this is beginning to sink in. I appreciate this. Thanks!!!

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2011 2:35 PM

Are you able to launch Logos (L4) and get to the home page?

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2011 2:40 PM

Being new to this program, I'm not sure what this is or how to do it. Please continue to be patient with me. Your explanation of this and how to do it will be appreciated. I'm going to be away from my system for just a bit but I'll look forward to your expertise Thomas.

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2011 4:07 PM

Phil Nickerson:

Being new to this program, I'm not sure what this is or how to do it. Please continue to be patient with me. Your explanation of this and how to do it will be appreciated. I'm going to be away from my system for just a bit but I'll look forward to your expertise Thomas.

Phil, You are in for a great treat!

I invite you to view some of the video's made by Users as well as Logos (http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Video_Tutorials)  In particular I heartily recommend Mark Barnes video's starting with the ones at installation and moving forward.  It is truly one of the most useful set's of user created video's out there.  AND FREE!

We're here for you Phil, ask away.  Yes

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2011 5:02 PM

You're a good man Thomas. Thank you sir. I'm new to Logos and new to this forum, and I'm beginning very much to appreciate both. I hope you folks are going to hang around for a long while.  :-)

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2011 7:24 PM

Phil Nickerson:
I hope you folks are going to hang around for a long while.  :-)
We have to.  We're hopelessly addicted to the forum.  Rosie like's to pretend she's not but I don't buy it for a second.  Wink

Posts 6777
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2011 7:51 PM

Thomas Black:

Phil Nickerson:
I hope you folks are going to hang around for a long while.  :-)
We have to.  We're hopelessly addicted to the forum.  Rosie like's to pretend she's not but I don't buy it for a second.  Wink

Thomas I could not disagree more. Rosie is not addicted to the Forums, she is helplessly addicted to the company and all things Logos. I will let you in on a secret. "She has plenty company" even some people with stars under their name. Of course I'm not an addict. My Logos therapist tells me so.

Lynden Williams Communications

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS