Maximizing search potential

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 47 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2011 10:04 AM

Mark Barnes:
Therefore create a collection that excludes Bibles (you'll use this often in searches) and re-run the search. The syntax for the collection is rating:>=0 ANDNOT (type:bible)

Created collection using type:* ANDNOT type:bible

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 113
bryan jay | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2011 10:14 AM

When I click on the orange icon in the upper left corner of the "cited by" panel nothing happens.  I have tried this over and over, and it will not open when the panel is docked. 

Interestingly, if I drag the panel to another location, it expands and I get the image shown in KS4J's third image above.  THEN, I can get the panel menu to drop down.  

Seems to me to be an obvious bug, although it is interesting it is only happening to me.

Here's the exact steps to reproduce the problem.

1.  Clear all panels so that L4 workspace is blank.  This should automatically bring up the home page. 

2. From the home page, I went to "tools" menu and selected "cited by" under "lookup"

3.  This brings up my cited by panel in the default location on the far right.

4.  I am unable to get any kind of menu by clicking on the upper left corner of the panel

5.  If I drag the panel so that it fills up half the workspace, I am then able to get the panel menu to drop down.

Bryan

Theological Reflection with Practical Application

SubmittedToTheWord.com

Posts 18670
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2011 10:20 AM

bryan jay:

When I click on the orange icon in the upper left corner of the "cited by" panel nothing happens.  I have tried this over and over, and it will not open when the panel is docked. 

Interestingly, if I drag the panel to another location, it expands and I get the image shown in KS4J's third image above.  THEN, I can get the panel menu to drop down.  

Seems to me to be an obvious bug, although it is interesting it is only happening to me.

1.  Clear all panels so that L4 workspace is blank.  This should automatically bring up the home page. 

2. From the home page, I went to "tools" menu and selected "cited by" under "lookup"

4.  I am unable to get any kind of menu by clicking on the upper left corner of the panel

5.  If I drag the panel so that it fills up half the workspace, I am then able to get the panel menu to drop down.

Bryan

Yes, that sounds like a bug to me, too. I'm not a Mac user so I can't help try to reproduce it and report it, but maybe one of the other MVPs or beta testers who are Mac users could help verify if it is indeed a bug and whether it affects other users or is dependent on your configuration somehow, and what version(s) it appears in, and get it reported to the appropriate channels.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2011 10:50 AM

Seems to work fine for me in stable.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2011 11:13 AM

bryan jay:

Bryan

Apologies - unable to replicate using Logos Bible Software 4.0b SR-4 (4.10.4.9457) - opened to home page, then Cited By:

Also opened a layout with many resources and couple floating windows, used close all command (returned to home page), then opened Cited By - could click to see menu (screen shot shows mouse location).

Wonder if restarting Mac then launching Logos 4 Mac and trying again makes any difference ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 113
bryan jay | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 9:12 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Wonder if restarting Mac then launching Logos 4 Mac and trying again makes any difference ?

No difference.  I try it everytime I open the program and always the same thing.  The drop-down menu will only appear after moving the panel to a new location.

KS4J, I notice in your screenshot that you have quite a few shortcuts up next to your command search prompt.  Can you give some insight as to how to effectively use these?  What sorts of resources do you choose to put there and why?

Bryan

SubmittedToTheWord.com

Posts 113
bryan jay | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 10:06 AM

bryan jay:

I just realized that the problem described above is not limited to "cited by", it applies to all the "tools" panels that open in the same location as "cited by" ("information", "power lookup", "pronunciation", "copy Bible verses", "text comparison").  It also happens with the tools that open on the left side of the workspace: ("favorites", "highlighting", "history", and "reading lists").

It appears that any panel that opens with that smaller icon will not give the drop down menu until the panel is moved to a new location (at which point the icon in the tab gets bigger).

Bryan

SubmittedToTheWord.com

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 19 2011 11:54 PM

bryan jay:
KS4J, I notice in your screenshot that you have quite a few shortcuts up next to your command search prompt.  Can you give some insight as to how to effectively use these?  What sorts of resources do you choose to put there and why?

Personal preferences - can drag and drop Bibles (English, Greek, & Hebrew) in panels for verse lookup and comparison (or right click - open in floating window).  Many months ago using Logos 4 PC, copied "close all" command to shortcut bar, sync to Mac; quite useful to close all open panels with one click.  Also created shortcuts for couple reading plans (changed icons to red and blue books).  Have a shortcut for one layout plus several original language learning resources (especially Hebrew step by step) and some favorite reference resources.

Several shortcut ideas came from various forum discussions.

bryan jay:
No difference.  I try it everytime I open the program and always the same thing.  The drop-down menu will only appear after moving the panel to a new location.

Wonder about screen size ?  Default Cited By menu works on 20" iMac internal monitor.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 113
bryan jay | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 5:43 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
copied "close all" command to shortcut bar, sync to Mac

Can't figure out how to put commands in the shortcut bar.  I could drag and drop items from the drop down menus, as well as panels from the workspace, but couldn't find the "close all" command anywhere in order to drag it.

Also, is it possible to change icon size?  They are too small to really see what they are. 

SubmittedToTheWord.com

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 10:18 AM

bryan jay:
Can't figure out how to put commands in the shortcut bar.  I could drag and drop items from the drop down menus, as well as panels from the workspace, but couldn't find the "close all" command anywhere in order to drag it.

Theory: Begin typing "close all" (without quotes) in the command box. Drag the command that appears in the dropdown to the shortcut bar. 

Practice: Command shortcuts don't work in Mac stable for the moment. They used to, but not any more. It's been fixed in the beta, but it doesn't seem like they'll take the time to fix it in stable. So unless you can do this in a PC and then sync with the Mac, you'll just have to wait for the next stable release. Or move over to the beta program, which I don't recommend for anyone who doesn't know exactly what he's doing.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 22 2011 7:49 AM

bryan jay:

Bryan,

I've asked our technical support dept to have a tech contact you about the Cited By panel menu issue. The "Close All" command is one you type into the Command box. Once the command appears in the suggested match list, click and drag it to the shortcut bar. If it doesn't accept the shortcut, you may need to wait until the next version, 4.2a, is released.

Posts 113
bryan jay | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 22 2011 9:05 AM

When I try to drag and drop the "close all" command, I get the little "locator cursor" to show me where I want the shortcut to be placed, but when I drop it, the locator cursor just sits there.  Next time I open the program, it is gone.  I'll wait for the next version.

SubmittedToTheWord.com

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 11:04 AM

Can somebody link to this thread from the Wiki?  There is some very helpful information in here about learning to use the search functions effectively.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 11:29 AM

Ron Keyston Jr:
Can somebody link to this thread from the Wiki? 

added to Detailed Search Help as subHeading Tips on searching

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 11:33 AM

steve clark:

Ron Keyston Jr:
Can somebody link to this thread from the Wiki? 

added to Detailed Search Help as subHeading Tips on searching

Also added this thread to http://wiki.logos.com/Tips_from_the_Forum

Posts 594
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 12:01 PM

After a few whiffs, I'm turning to the forum...

I'm trying to find a specific resource that explains the differences in the account between Josephus and Acts 12 concerning Herod's death.

I've tried:

Josephus NEAR acts 12

Josephus NEAR compar* NEAR acts 12

Any suggestions for creating a more specific search--using several terms?

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 12:17 PM

Ted Weis:

You need Josephus NEAR <Acts 12>, so that Logos knows you're referring to the Biblical passage. I may be inclined to search for Josephus NEAR Herod though, or probably Josephus NEAR "Herod Agrippa", or Josephus NEAR Agrippa. If I was feeling particularly clever, I'd go for Josephus NEAR (Herod,Agrippa) and do a ranked search.

Those searches (or a search of Josephus' works for Agrippa) give you the reference in Josephus, and you can then see what resources refer to that. The syntax is <JosephusLoeb ~ Antiquities of the Jews 19.343-352>,<JosephusWhiston = Antiquities of the Jews XIX, viii 2> (remember there are two reference systems for Josephus).

But because you're interested in a comparison with Acts 12, don't search for that on it's own. Instead do a search for the Josephus reference near the Acts 12 reference. That should nail it:
(<JosephusLoeb ~ Antiquities of the Jews 19.343-352>,<JosephusWhiston = Antiquities of the Jews XIX, viii 2>) NEAR <Acts 12>

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 2:24 PM

Ted Weis:

One option is creating a Josephus collection, then search for <Acts 12> in that collection:

Another option is searching Entire Library for <Acts 12> NEAR Josephus NEAR death

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 594
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 8:16 PM

Mark Barnes:
But because you're interested in a comparison with Acts 12, don't search for that on it's own. Instead do a search for the Josephus reference near the Acts 12 reference. That should nail it:

(<JosephusLoeb ~ Antiquities of the Jews 19.343-352>,<JosephusWhiston = Antiquities of the Jews XIX, viii 2>) NEAR <Acts 12>

Yes, this search form worked very well! A very manageable 76 results.

Below is a quote from one resource that directly answered my question:

'The two accounts of his death which we have, in Acts 12:19–23, and Josephus, Antiq. xix. 8. 2, with many variations, are yet in thorough and detailed agreement on the principal points...  —It thus appears that the principal points: Caeserea as the scene of the incident, the brilliant robe, the flattering shout, the sudden death—are common to both narratives, although the details have been somewhat diversified in the course of transmission.

Emil Schürer, vol. 2, A History of the Jewish People in the Time of Jesus Christ, First Division, Vol. II. (Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 1890), 163-64.

Posts 594
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 8:22 PM

To follow up...

Does the math signs < and > serve as quotation marks to group Bible book with chapter/verse?

What function is served by " " quotation marks? Does it differ from < > ?

Do parenthesis ( ) group ideas together--sort of a "complete this first" before going to next search element?

Commas , separate differing terms. If one uses a comma, must it be in parenthesis?

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS