Taking Notes Externally

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 326
tjebme | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 12 2011 9:29 AM

One of the few things I've REALLY missed (actually the only thing) since going all Mac at home is OneNote. For those of you who care, I was just taking a look at Scrivener 2.0 and I think it will meet my needs for the Bible notes I was previously taking in OneNote. Prior versions of Scrivener didn't meet my needs (nor did anything else in the Mac environment) and I'm not a big fan of having to run a virtual machine on my Mac just to use OneNote (have been using the VM for Logos though until the Mac version catches up). I have yet to try it, but it looks like your work in Scrivener will also sync with Dropbox so I'm hoping to use the documents on my iPad.

Posts 317
Luuk Dondorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2011 9:34 AM

I am using Evernote for that purpose: it is free and easy.

Luuk

Posts 853
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2011 9:50 AM

I use Scrivener and absolutely love it. It is great for what it is intended to do, which is primarily for longer documents that involve research, etc. However, it is very versatile and will probably work fine for sermon notes and preparation. I would also like to point you to MacJournal. It has become my primary note taking app. It too is very versatile and has great text editing and formatting features. What makes it great for me is that it also has a companion iOS app for when I am out and about studying with iPad. Take a look at it and see what you think.

Posts 117
Kenny Larsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 12 2011 9:59 AM

I've also been using evernote, although Scrivener looks interesting, might give it a shot!

Posts 150
rog | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2011 6:02 AM

doh! I've been pondering whether to put Windoze back on my machine just for notes and clippings. Yet here I am, with an evernote file system with over 2400 notes in it. Guess it's good to read other people's forum posts once in awhile just to make your brain think again. Thanks Luuk!

Posts 326
tjebme | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2011 6:48 AM

One of the key reasons I used OneNote was its ability to use folder hierarchies that went deeper than one or two levels (N.T.>Matthew>Chap 1>etc.). Unfortunately, as of my last check (it could just be my lack of understanding), Evernote only allows two levels at this time (hopefully more in the future). I have been using Evernote for basic notes. I'm still doing a trial of Scrivener, but so far am enjoying the ability to have deeper folder hierarchies, the split screen mode, ability to set margins and page breaks and just the fact that unlike OneNote it is built for the Mac. I'm not using all of Scrivener's capabilities and some editing functionality could be more straight forward, but it's looking like it will fill my need for a OneNote replacement on the Mac.

Posts 117
Kenny Larsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2011 6:59 AM

Brian,

How did you get Scrivener to go more than 1 level deep? I'm clearly being dense!

Kenny

Posts 326
tjebme | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2011 7:29 AM

Kenny, first the caveat that I am not an expert Big Smile  I opened a new Blank Project. Then I customized the toolbar (right-click on the toolbar) at the top to include the Move Left and Move Right icons. Then I selected the Folder + icon on the toolbar and it put a folder under Draft in the left hand column. You can then select this new folder and choose the Move Left icon you inserted in the toolbar at the top. You can then rename the new folder something like "New Testament". Next you can again select the Folder + icon on the toolbar at the top and you will have added another new folder. You can take this new folder and drop it on top of the New Testament folder and it will become a subfolder of the New Testament folder, etc. You can also play with the Move Left and Move Right icons to make it a root folder or a subfolder.

Posts 287
Jerry Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2011 7:45 AM

I would love to see a video or something to see how you guys use Evernote with Logos. I have Evernote but not really sure how it would work or sync or anything. Can you save it as a layout are what? 

Posts 117
Kenny Larsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2011 8:35 AM

Thanks Brian!

Jerry, I don't think people are syncing it in any real way but just using it as an external application to make their notes on, much like you would with a traditional notebook (with the added bonus of copy and paste etc.). I find the notes function in Logos fiddly so a product designed specifically for note taking seems to be preferable.

Unless I'm mistaken....

Posts 4
Ed Powers | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2011 9:51 AM

I use Pages and just float it so it stays visible while I'm in L4.  There was a thread on how to float Pages a week or so ago.  Is there advantages to using OneNote, Evernote, or Scrivener?  I've never used any of themConfused

Posts 18723
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2011 10:22 AM

There is a freeware version of TreePad for Mac OS. I use TreePad on Windows for all kinds of notes organizing, and it's great.

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 17 2011 5:07 AM

You might like to take a look at one of the scrivener templates I use to put together teaching notes and all the prerequisite research to pull together those notes. 

4341.Bible Teaching Template.scriv.zip

Posts 11
Richard Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 6 2011 7:06 PM

Brian,

Have you looked into Notebook by Circus Ponies?  I have been using it for a number of years and find it very helpful.

Posts 1566
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 7 2011 8:54 AM

I sometimes use Quick Note. Its simple and free in the mac app store. works well!

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS