Most Recent Zondervan Pre-Pub

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 693
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Feb 13 2011 6:06 PM

Regarding Zondervan's most recent releases, has anyone else noticed that these collections sell today for the same price as when they were offered earlier in pre-pub?

Old and New Testament Introductions

Biblical Theology Collection

Bundle 2 Collection

I was under the assumption that there was a discount available in pre-pub that wouldn't be available later.

I realize that sometimes pre-pubs don't have a pre-discount, but a set price, like the recently offered Baker books.

For example, Mark Powell's Introducing the New Testament

When that's the case, don't those prices appear in a different color--black instead of red?

I'm pleased to have my Zondervan resources, but in hindsight, I could have waited.

Posts 261
Ralph A. Abernethy III | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 6:54 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, it will also be that way with the New Interpreter's Bible and Dictionary of the Bible.  So I'll just wait until I have the cash at the ready, though I would like to get them both.

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 6:55 PM

Yes, I think someone else has also commented that it wasn't clearly communicated that the pre-pub price on this was not a discounted price. I think the black/red distinction applies to discount off full retail price (which is usually some arguable figure that comes from the cost of the print edition), not the pre-pub discount off what it will eventually sell for in Logos. Note that those Zondervan bundles that shipped recently from pre-pub are showing prices in red with a larger retail price crossed out. The fact that in pre-pub they were no less than this is not evident, nor would there have been any way using the red/black color scheme alone to make this clear while they were still in pre-pub. There needs to be a better way of clarifying this distinction.

Posts 128
Simon Pleasants | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 6:56 PM

Ted Weis:

Regarding Zondervan's most recent releases, has anyone else noticed that these collections sell today for the same price as when they were offered earlier in pre-pub?

Yes, I noticed this and raised it in an earlier post

I also assumed that the Pre-Pub sets would be offered at a discount and like you I would have waited if I'd known that there was no discount to be had.

I took the blog post (see Point 1 - The Price) regarding the Zondervan collections at face value and assumed that the price would increase after Pre-Pub.

"Upon a life I did not live, Upon a death I did not die, Another's life, another's death, I stake my whole eternity"

Horatius Bonar

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 7:25 PM

Simon Pleasants:

I also assumed that the Pre-Pub sets would be offered at a discount and like you I would have waited if I'd known that there was no discount to be had.

I took the blog post (see Point 1 - The Price) regarding the Zondervan collections at face value and assumed that the price would increase after Pre-Pub.

Hmm, that does seem a bit disingenuous. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm guessing that it was written by someone who just assumed that the Zondervan pre-pub would be like any other and didn't know the scoop from whatever department sets the prices. But perhaps they ought to now go back and amend the blog post.

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 7:54 PM

I'm not a big Zondervan fan, but in all fairness to them, one of the reasons we have the resources at all is as a result of a great desire and many requests by us long term users to see these resources that were only available through Zondervan.  They eventually responded, much to our delight, by making them available to Logos.  As they are the publisher, they have every right to set the terms of purchase including price and discounts if any.  If we really want these resources I think we have to accept their terms, or of course we could do without, but that kind of defeats the whole benefit.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 8:11 PM

Last year  I bought some Zondervan resources on pre-pub because I had owned them when they had them in their own format and I got a goooood discount off of the pre-pub price. 

Once I used my discount, I have not bought any more, and I will not at their current prices, in many cases there are other places with good resource for much less, on pre-pub, and I buy them.

Zondervan will either learn to discount their products or they will never see very much of my cash and todays economy  confirms that!

I want to buy, but not at those prices! I will find better resources for my limited amount of cash to spend on books.

In Christ,

Jim VanSchoonhoven

Posts 1210
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 8:13 PM

I understand the commonly held belief that the pre-pub price for Bundle 2 was expected to be some level of savings beyond what the normally offered price was going to be.

However, since I was unable to afford the purchase during the end of the pre-pub period, I am happy that my required wait will (thus far) not come at a cost penalty.  I'm really looking forward to purchasing Bundle 2 someday...a Howard Hendricks resource I read had several references to titles in the bundle, and I'd like someday to chase those geese.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 8:13 PM

Ralph A. Abernethy III:

Unless I'm mistaken, it will also be that way with the New Interpreter's Bible and Dictionary of the Bible.  So I'll just wait until I have the cash at the ready, though I would like to get them both.

Even as it is the price is a tad salty.  If they raise it after the prepub -- ouch !

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 8:42 PM

Simon Pleasants:

I think we will see the Zondervan Bible Reference Bundle #2 go up in price. The first Zondervan Bible Reference Bundle did. Baker Academic titles are listed, in Pre-Pub, at the retail selling price produced from the "git-go.". So it is not unheard of to have a resource remain at the Pre-Pub price level upon publication.

When I read the blog post you referenced I do agree it sounds like a foregone conclusion the price will increase. I am not privy to Zondervan's pricing arrangements with Logos but it is conceivable Zondervan agreed to set aside a certain number of licenses to be sold at the discounted Pre-Pub rate and that number has not been reached. I would encourage anyone interested in the Zondervan Bundle #2 to go for it NOW. When the sales department sees this thread they may make a price correction! Surprise  ( An unmentioned benefit to the current situation is You can now use the payment plan to purchase the Zondervan Bundle #2 at the Pre-Pub price.  GO FOR IT  Wink )

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 13 2011 8:56 PM

Dr. Alex Scott:
I'm not a big Zondervan fan, but in all fairness to them, one of the reasons we have the resources at all is as a result of a great desire and many requests by us long term users to see these resources that were only available through Zondervan.  They eventually responded, much to our delight, by making them available to Logos.  As they are the publisher, they have every right to set the terms of purchase including price and discounts if any.  If we really want these resources I think we have to accept their terms, or of course we could do without, but that kind of defeats the whole benefit.

Well put.  Sometimes they just can't win.

• I requested they be published in Logos format Whisper
  • I criticized them loudly for their pricing Angry
  • When they offered the Pradis cross-grade discount I still criticized the price. Super Angry
  • Now, are we complaining because the sale price is still available? Indifferent

They just can't win.

Proverbs 20:14

Let me now brag"
I did buy Z Bundle #1 with the Pradis cross-grade discount. (And I am happy I did.)
I just bought Z Bundle #2 today at the Pre-Pub price. (And I am happy I did.)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 693
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 14 2011 8:23 AM

Simon Pleasants:

Yes, I noticed this and raised it in an earlier post

Good eye Simon!

I appreciate having the resources, so my complaint is mild. However, if the price is due to increase, it'd be nice to know ahead of time. Meanwhile, it looks like the "grace period" is currently on extension.

Posts 693
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 17 2011 3:43 AM

One small thing I've noticed:

The picture icon for Hill and Walton's A Survey of the Old Testament is from the 1991 first edition, but the text is the 2009 third edition.

Hopefully, this won't confuse anyone or lead someone to think their digitized text is a now obsolete version.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS