Morris Proctor Logos 4 Manuals

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 15 2011 9:21 AM

Good morning,

I purchased both of the Logos 4 Morris Proctor Manuals as soon as they were released last year. If I'm not mistaken, I was told that I would receive additonal updates to the manual once Logos implemented more of Logos 4 features. It seems as though I received an e-mail from Morris Proctor last fall that included updated pages of the manual. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to print at that time and can no longer find the file.

For those of you that purchased these manuals when they were initially released, did you get an updated file, via e-mail from Morris Proctor, or am I just making this up in my mind? I called Morris Proctor and left a message a few weeks ago, but haven't gotten a response from them yet.

Due to several family illnesses last year, I wasn't able to use the manuals at all. I'm now in the process of really delving deeper into Logos 4 and am using the manuals. However, in their current format, it seems as though they are missing information on many of the features added to Logos 4 after the initial release.

Am I dreaming?????????????

Thanks!

Christina

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 10:15 AM

I am in the same boat as you are, in fact several months ago I emailed Morris Proctor to find out what could be done, since I was told I would be able to get an update when the program was mostly done. 

I never got any replies back, and I am very disappointed in how this has worked out, I have two books that are mainly useless.

I have spent 100s of dollars with that company and now I many not spend any more.

I feel like I went to a used car lot and promised what ever it took to get me to buy and never got what I was promised.

Posts 146
Joe Mayden | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 10:36 AM

There was an update but it was difficult to delete and insert pages.

My question is why doesn't Mo make it a resource and allow it to be book 1 and 2 in Logos 4.  That way he can update.

Just a thought!

Joe Mayden

Posts 759
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 10:45 AM

I have also been extremely dissatisfied with the follow-up to the manuals. Ditto and then some to all of the above.

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 126
Scot Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 10:46 AM

The manuels are still useful for the foundational stuff and I still refer to them often. Yet it would be nice to access the new material and learn more about it. I too thought the updates were awkward to insert-it was just too much of a hassle.

I think MPS should have sent updates to all those who purchased the orginal manuels. Hey I would be willing to pay a fair nominal fee for it. The manuels were not inexpensive.

Posts 1658
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 11:00 AM

Joe Mayden:
There was an update but it was difficult to delete and insert pages.

As Joe has stated there were (2?) updates.

Unlike Joe,I was able to print and insert them. But yes, it was a little confusing as some of the materials added were not necessarily put in "intuitive" locations.

The thing I liked was that these replacementpages printed in color. The original booklets are black & white.

BUT SORRY, I cannot remember whether this info was received as an email or whether there was an announcement in these Forums.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 214
Anthony U | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 12:48 PM

Christina-

This was the link I used but it no longer works: http://www.mpseminars.com/index.cfm/PageID/1406

You are not going nuts and I wish that we'd get updates to the manual by email. 

Try using the wiki videos for now- they're great: http://wiki.logos.com/

Blessings,

Anthony

Posts 35
MorrisProctorEmployee
David Kitchen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 1:13 PM

Sorry that there is dissatisfaction with the updates to our manuals. Our desire with the updates were to benefit the customers so hopefully I can help clear up some things...

Most software consistently evolves, which is great for the consumer because it means that the software continues to get better. Unlike most training companies, we wanted to help out our customers who purchased the manuals during the early developing stages of Logos 4. However, since we do not produce electronic copies of our materials, implementing the free updates into your manual isn't exactly easy.

We have a new website design, but this means that content on the old site is in the process of making it to the new site. The updates will be added very soon. Everyone who purchased a manual will be getting an e-mail containing the links for the updates. The updates are intended for those who have already purchased the manual, so that is why the pages are somewhat hidden to the general public.

Many customers say that the easiest way to install the updates is to take the current manual and put it in a three ring binder. The biggest problem with the updates is that it throws the page numbers off. Again, this is just an unfortunate side effect of the free updates.

Also, we just completed our "second edition" of the Logos manuals. This includes new sections, updated sections, pictures, and reordered sections. If anyone here has already purchased a Logos 4 Training Manual(s) from us and wants info on how to get a new manual at a deeply discounted price, please e-mail me at David@mpseminars.com.

Logos updates are less frequent now, so there won't be very many changes like there were in 2010. Again, I apologize for any confusion with the updates. We don't want our customers to feel like they have to buy a new manual every time a new Logos feature became available, and that's why we want to continue to provide updates to our manuals.

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 15 2011 3:05 PM

Thanks to each of you for answering my question. I've looked everywhere on my computer for the file Morris Proctor sent me, but to no avail. I'm just glad to know that I'm not nuts, at least as it relates to this situation. Additionally, I'm so thankful that David also answered the question, addressed our concerns and let all of us know what is going on with the manuals.  

Once again, thanks for your answers and God bless!

Christina

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 694
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 8:19 AM

To give credit where it's due, David Kitchen's post inspired me to order the "Second Edition" of the Logos Manuals "at a deeply discounted price". David and his colleague Shannon Orrand handled the transaction with amazing speed and efficiency. I could not be more pleased and am now waiting for the US Postal Service to do its bit.
Steve

Posts 19229
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 8:30 AM

I still wish these were available as electronic resources (as an option). I'd even be willing to pay to upgrade when new versions are released. Virtually no software uses printed manuals anymore. I'm at my computer when I want to look up how to do something; I don't want to have to turn away and flip through some paper book. That's so 1990's! I understand there might be issues with not wanting to be able to freely copy the digital manuals and send them around to people, but that could probably be solved by going through Logos's licensing mechanism for resources, and make these true Logos resources. That way we'd be able to search through them, too, and not just rely on an index.

Posts 156
Andrew Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 8:35 AM

Yes, and also shipping physical products to the UK is very expensive, which is why I have not bought them yet.

Posts 1116
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 9:42 AM

Rosie Perera:

I still wish these were available as electronic resources (as an option).

That is the irony: A manual on how to use an electronic library is not available in electronic format! Confused   This manual should just be another Logos book.

Armin

Posts 103
Lonnie Ritchie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 18 2011 7:56 AM

As far as I can remember, I didn't even get the email.  I'm disappointed too.

Lonnie Ritchie

Posts 36
Werner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 6:23 AM

Can someone tell me.. if I follow the help file, the videos available on the logos website, as well as all the support articles, are the printed manuals redundant?

Posts 30
Todd Hinton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 6:42 AM

I agree with the comments about the MP manuals.  A waste of money for a quickly out-dated product.

Posts 902
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 7:08 AM

Armin:

Rosie Perera:

I still wish these were available as electronic resources (as an option).

That is the irony: A manual on how to use an electronic library is not available in electronic format! Confused   This manual should just be another Logos book.

Armin

YesYesYes

"I read dead people..."

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 7:26 AM

Werner:

Can someone tell me.. if I follow the help file, the videos available on the logos website, as well as all the support articles, are the printed manuals redundant?

I think you'd be able to find your way without them.  I find their strength to be in communicating shortcut keys.  I've never learned Logos by thinking to myself "I want to learn more about the passage guide" and then attempting to answer my question.

My approach is more "What can I learn next from the Logos software to help me do what I do easier?" and thus I learn alot through the message boards and tips from other users that catch my eye.

I wouldn't say the manuals are outdated in the sense that the information they've got is now wrong.  I will say through physically printing the manuals they're falling behind. (ie nothing about PBB in either mac manuals)

Posts 902
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 7:37 AM

Werner:

Hiya Werner, I bought a couple of sets of the manuals (one for my pastor and one for myself) and found that neither of us used them very much HOWEVER, they aren't intended to read in one sitting like a novel.  They are reference manuals, and are excellent for looking up "how to do it" questions.  Prior to buying the manuals, I'd bought Mo's excellent L3 DVDs and worked my way through them, so I had a firm grasp of the power of Logos, I bought the manuals to update my understanding of how to navigate the new L4 interface.

All that being said, and even though I subsequently attended one of Mo's L4 "boot camps" (which was excellent!), I'd recommend that you check out John Fallahee's interactive video training at http://www.learnlogos.com which is comparable (actually slightly lower in price than the mpseminars manuals) in price and deliver huge value if you really want to learn L4.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 11 2011 7:49 AM

Armin:

Armin

Excellent idea! While I have found the manuals insightful and I have ALWAYS picked up some tricks and tips with the one I bought quite some time ago, I have been reluctant to buy them again because they do obsolete quickly.  Making them a Logos book would be awesome, and a tremendous way to keep them current as Logos software continues to be enhanced.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS