CP: Biblical Commentary on the New Testament at 100% - bid before Fri 2/25!

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 34
David Drew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 2:15 PM

Rosie Perera:

It must have been one of those things that isn't that costly to produce and didn't have many people signed up for it to begin with, so just a few have made a big difference.

I wonder if, for some of these books which are available on Google Books / Project Gutenberg, Logos just gets the raw text from these sites, and then goes through and formats / hyperlinks it.

It would certainly explain why the cost on some of these CP books is quite cheap. Lack of licensing fees probably helps a lot, too.

Posts 19216
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 20 2011 3:53 PM

David Drew:

Rosie Perera:

It must have been one of those things that isn't that costly to produce and didn't have many people signed up for it to begin with, so just a few have made a big difference.

I wonder if, for some of these books which are available on Google Books / Project Gutenberg, Logos just gets the raw text from these sites, and then goes through and formats / hyperlinks it.

It would certainly explain why the cost on some of these CP books is quite cheap. Lack of licensing fees probably helps a lot, too.

Having the text already available from CCEL or Project Gutenberg is actually not much of a help, since those ones tend to be really badly scanned so they've got many more typos that have to be fixed manually. A bigger determining factor is how complex the text is. Are there lots of abbreviations that need to have hover/note definitions put in, links to cross-references (both Scriptural and other), Hebrew/Greek text or other foreign fonts, lots of footnotes, etc. The resources that are made up of pretty straightforward texts without a lot of external references in them should be relatively quick to produce.

Posts 155
Pedro | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2011 10:52 AM

I found this entry in Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE C. H. Spurgeon, Lectures to My Students, Vol. 4: Commenting and Commentaries, 207-08:

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

931      BIBLICAL COMMENTARY ON THE NEW TESTAMENT. (By Dr. HERMANN OLSHAUSEN). Continued after his Death by Ebrard and Wiesinger. Carefully revised, after the last German edition, by A. C. KENDRICK, D. D., Greek Professor in the University of Rochester. Six volumes, large octavo. Price in cloth, $18.

“The Commentaries of Olshausen are remarkable for their union of the results of critical learning with devout feeling, and an insight which takes up very effectively the train of thought in the apostle or evangelist. In this last respect he approaches Calvin."

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2011 11:12 AM

Okay, I'm in for $30. (Last of the big spenders, me!Wink)

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 3768
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2011 11:35 AM

Reposting the link for those who would like to take a second look:

http://www.logos.com/product/8556/biblical-commentary-on-the-new-testament

We are at $30 right now and 92% of the way toward a $25 price.  I bet (not really, I don't gamble) that we can make it by Friday.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2011 11:40 AM

Floyd Johnson:
 I bet (not really, I don't gamble) that we can make it by Friday.

Do you really expect me to believe that, Floyd ?  You live a tad too close to Las Vegas for me to accept that.  Smile Devil

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3768
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2011 1:16 PM

George Somsel:
Do you really expect me to believe that, Floyd ?  You live a tad too close to Las Vegas for me to accept that.  Smile Devil

George:

New York - close to Las Vegas?  Batavia Downs, maybe; but not Las Vegas.  Batavia Downs is a temptation, but not because of the gambling.  It is the endless buffet that they provide.  My doctor will tell you that this is one temptation I will need to avoid.

Of course - my father's own gambling addiction convinced me that placing bets would not be a helpful way to spend my money.  God has been graceful - that is one temptation I do not face.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2011 1:28 PM

Floyd Johnson:

George Somsel:

George:

New York - close to Las Vegas?  Batavia Downs, maybe; but not Las Vegas.  Batavia Downs is a temptation, but not because of the gambling.  It is the endless buffet that they provide.  My doctor will tell you that this is one temptation I will need to avoid.

Of course - my father's own gambling addiction convinced me that placing bets would not be a helpful way to spend my money.  God has been graceful - that is one temptation I do not face.

Yes, that's too close to LV to make it a credible statement that you don't gamble.  Cool  Seriously, I confused you with Matt for a moment.  Of course, there's Atlantic City.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3768
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2011 1:33 PM

George Somsel:
  Seriously, I confused you with Matt for a moment.  Of course, there's Atlantic City.

At least it was someone worthwhile - I can think of some others I would not like to be compared to.  Nobody on these forums, however.

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 1501
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 23 2011 12:23 PM

Its $25 now Smile twice lessYes

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 248
Patrick Rietveld | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 23 2011 12:27 PM

That is amazing!

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS