Looking For Advice Re: Logos 4 Version.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 93
painfree | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 24 2011 12:16 PM

Years ago after Seminary, I purchased Logos 1 and then upgraded to 2.0 and that is as far as it went. At the same time I also had Bibleworks 2 then 3.  Since I upgraded both my hardware and OS several times, I no longer have working versions of either program and am looking to purchase something in the Logos 4 line and I am between the Scholar and Silver packages and perhaps BW8.  

I am after many years only remotely familiar with Biblical Languages and was wondering what practical reasons would I want Silver vs Scholar seeing my Biblical language competency is below minimal? 

Posts 93
painfree | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2011 12:21 PM

Does Logos 4 after installation require online access to function as I thought I read somewhere that you needed an active Internet connection?

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2011 12:30 PM

To the online question. You need an internet connection to install the program but you can run it offline once installed

PPK Enterprises:
I am after many years only remotely familiar with Biblical Languages and was wondering what practical reasons would I want Silver vs Scholar seeing my Biblical language competency is below minimal? 

Your Logos 2 resources can be brought into Logos 4. It, however, will require that you install LIbronix (L3) and then synchronizing licenses before installing L4.

Regarding the benefits of Silver or Scholars. If you goal is just to use it for Greek/Hebrew Exegesis I would suggest the Biblical Language library. In terms of Original Language content silver doesn't have a lot over Scholars, but if you want to get commentaries to help you along the way then I recommend Silver.

If you like the content that Original Languages has that Silver does not you can buy the OL library then immediately upgrade to Silver and you'll get some things that you'd normally have to have Gold to get.

If you haven't been looking at it here's the comparison chart http://www.logos.com/comparison

Posts 8659
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2011 12:30 PM

PPK Enterprises:
Years ago after Seminary, I purchased Logos 1 and then upgraded to 2.0 and that is as far as it went.
 I'm not certain but if you could find a former license disk, proof of purchase or perhaps just call Logos and ask, there MAY be an upgrade discount for you of some type.  I could be wrong, but checking doesn't hurt.
PPK Enterprises:
I am after many years only remotely familiar with Biblical Languages and was wondering what practical reasons would I want Silver vs Scholar seeing my Biblical language competency is below minimal?
 Have you seen the http://www.logos.com/compare page?  If not take a good look at the various resources offered particularly in the "Ancient texts and morph." , "Original Language Grammars and Tools" and "Lexicons" sections.    There are a few additional and perhaps to you key resources in Silver that are not in Scholars.  

All of that said the general advice you'll hear from many in this group is that You'll never get as good a deal with Logos as you do on the base packages.  Certainly this is true for me as I contemplate where I am with resources on a cost per book basis.  In general I would suggest getting as high a package as you can, but certainly I buffer that with encouragement to look at the purple and silver dots on that comparison page.

PPK Enterprises:
Does Logos 4 after installation require online access to function as I thought I read somewhere that you needed an active Internet connection?
 Not really.  

The internet is used for downloading resources and updates, as well as for syncronizing your documents.  These things can be turned on or off in the Tools>settings menu item.  

Please see this article for further information:The Internet

EDIT: It appears Kevin beat me to the answer on this one.  :-)

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 93
painfree | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2011 12:51 PM

Thank you but in the years since 1998, at least one time,  my HD was corrupted so it seems the only 2 files I see on my computer now are  logos.lsb  and  lrsuser.dat  and I do not even have the logos hymnal wav files any longer :-(   

What is the upgrade price to go from Biblical Language to Silver ? 

Posts 8659
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2011 12:55 PM

PPK Enterprises:
What is the upgrade price to go from Biblical Language to Silver ? 
I'm afraid only sales@logos.com can give you a final answer, but the difference in purchasing is approx $584 (999 for silver -415 for BL)

Again I would encourage you to contact Logos Sales and see what they might be able to do for you.  

Posts 93
painfree | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2011 12:56 PM

Quickly looking at the dots in the comparison, I think I only see one file that is not in the Silver so it may not be a wise thing to do that upgrade.. I will call them and see if they keep records back to 98.

Posts 8659
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2011 1:10 PM

PPK, 

Don't forget to check all the dots in all the categories there is quite a difference over the full list.

Posts 9405
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2011 1:22 PM

Thomas Black:
Don't forget to check all the dots in all the categories there is quite a difference over the full list.

Two standouts in Silver are the New American Commentaries and The Early Church Fathers collection. The former is worth the upgrade on its own.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 13412
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2011 3:22 PM

PPK Enterprises:

Since I upgraded both my hardware and OS several times, I no longer have working versions of either program and am looking to purchase something in the Logos 4 line and I am between the Scholar and Silver packages and perhaps BW8.  

BW8 is excellent software, but if your Biblical Languages are only 'remotely familiar', I don't believe you'll get much value from it. So I would encourage you to invest your dollars exclusively in Logos.

Equally, the differences between Scholar's and Scholar's Silver are not really differences that require biblical languages skills. Indeed one of the benefits of Silver would be an NT interlinear which you might find useful if you're very rusty. But the most important difference in my opinon is the commentary sets (Holman NT, Keil and Deliztsch, NAC, Pulpit) plus the Fathers. One or two of the additional lexicons will also be worthwhile (Gesenius, CHALOT and Lexham Analytical), and can be used from most English language Bibles, with the Lexham having the additional advantage of working from many Greek texts that are not morphologically tagged.

Posts 1809
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2011 3:55 PM

Mark A. Smith:
Two standouts in Silver are the New American Commentaries and The Early Church Fathers collection. The former is worth the upgrade on its own.

Exactly what I was going to say. Well worth the cost difference if you can afford it  Yes

Posts 93
painfree | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2011 6:00 PM

Hi Thank you for the reply.  I purchased and downloaded and got to the part where index was starting and it failed 3x so far.  I rebooted and still no go.. . Is there anyone with ideas before support opens up in the morning ?  I meet all the hardware requirements. and am using 64 bit Win 7..   

One question I have is where are these gigabytes of files that were downloaded to my computer as I do not know where to find them as I chose the recommended install as opposed to a custom one.

Posts 2662
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2011 6:02 PM

I went from Scholar to Platinum quickly--once you realize how radically advanced studying in Logos is you won't question buying a better package. As to language skills, you can renew and rebuild your skills every time you open Logos. You've got interlinears, Logos breaks down the grammatical structure for you and lexicons are a mouse click away.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 93
painfree | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2011 6:13 PM

That is good to know for the future but right now it will not even index as it stops when in the preparing your library (Stage 1 of 3) phase.  

Posts 9405
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 24 2011 6:22 PM

PPK Enterprises:
Is there anyone with ideas before support opens up in the morning

To help you we'll need to see log files. You can find out how to enable permanent diagnostic logging here: http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging

Once enabled, open Logos again and let it crash. Then navigate to your My Documents/Logos Log Files folder, zip all the files up together and attach them to a follow-up post using the paperclip icon on the compose message page.

PPK Enterprises:
One question I have is where are these gigabytes of files that were downloaded to my computer as I do not know where to find them as I chose the recommended install as opposed to a custom one.

They are here: C:\Users\{user name}\AppData\Local\Logos4 and the sub folders found there. Your resources are in a subfolder of the Data folder: C:\Users\{User Name}\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\{Random String}\ResourceManager\Resources

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS