Books: "Bible Characters" and "The Greater Men and Women of the Bible" Question

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1829
Rick | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 28 2011 4:45 PM

I just downloaded my pre-pub titled "Bible Characters" (great deal from CP by the way) and I have a question about it and "The Greater Men and Women of the Bible".

Both of these resources are six volumes each. If I want to read about John the Baptist I have to open each volume and look at the table of contents to find the article that pertains to him. Is there an easier way to do this? Am I just not seeing some sort of master index possibly or is this just the way it is as with hard copies?

Thanks in advance.

Posts 171
Abi Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 4:52 PM

There was a fix shortly after Greater Men And Women shipped. I would suggest checking for an update, since you just downloaded it.

~

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 4:52 PM

"The Greater Men and Women of the Bible" is arranged in chronological order. You could also define a collection which includes just these six books and search that way. I'm not sure if these book are tied to Biblical People, but you could also try that as well.

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 1829
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 5:05 PM

Abi Gail:
There was a fix shortly after Greater Men And Women shipped.

Ahhh, I remember them saying there was a fix and it did download but my library pane was not big enough to see how they were retitled. All that I was seeing was "Greater Men and Wom..." until I widened the title bar. Thanks!

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 28 2011 6:18 PM

For the series Bible Characters you can go to the contents page of each of the six books and select all of the table of contents, which are hyperlinks and drag the whole list into a new note file.  This will give you a note file with all of the Bible characters, in the order that they appear in the Bible, all in one place rather than guessing and opening up one of the volumes.  The other series The Greater Men and Women of the Bible already gives you a clue as to which character is in them by the title.  Or you can rename the titles of the six volumes of Bible Character to note the range of characters, like the series The Greater Men and Women of the Bible does.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 19280
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 2:45 AM

I hope Logos adds both of these series to Logos Controlled Vocabulary (LCV). They don't appear to be tagged for it yet. We can type a Bible character name into the Search pane with Entire Library selected and it will find all topical entries on that person in our library, which will include Bible dictionaries and the like.

I'd love to see these longer treatments of them from these two series show up there, too. In the meantime, if user volunteers wanted to go into topics.logos.com and add links to the chapters on each of the Bible characters covered in Greater Men and Women and Bible Characters, they would show up in the Topics section of an Entire Library search. That would be a ton of work, but a few users could coordinate to divide the work up amongst themselves (A-D, E-H, etc.)

Here's a start for John the Baptist:

Posts 517
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 4:20 AM

One way I thought that might be easy to access the relevant information would be for links to appear in Biblical People along with entries to dictionaries for a given character.  But even after prioritising the six books, no links appeared.  That's a shame. 

Any thoughts on how to make this work?

Posts 19280
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 4:37 AM

John Duffy:

One way I thought that might be easy to access the relevant information would be for links to appear in Biblical People along with entries to dictionaries for a given character.  But even after prioritising the six books, no links appeared.  That's a shame. 

Any thoughts on how to make this work?

As long as these resources aren't tagged with LCV (which is something only Logos can do) there is no way to make them show up in Biblical People, unfortunately. We should put in a strong request that they do this soon. And I still don't know why it isn't part of their product release checklist to make sure ever new product is tagged with LCV. That only frustrates people. I'd have been willing to wait another couple of weeks (or more) on this for them to do the LCV tagging up front, rather than put it on their queue for some other time, whenever that might be. This just seems like a flawed procedure to me.

Posts 317
Paul Meathrel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 7:02 AM

Rosie Perera:
As long as these resources aren't tagged with LCV (which is something only Logos can do) there is no way to make them show up in Biblical People, unfortunately. We should put in a strong request that they do this soon. And I still don't know why it isn't part of their product release checklist to make sure ever new product is tagged with LCV. That only frustrates people. I'd have been willing to wait another couple of weeks (or more) on this for them to do the LCV tagging up front, rather than put it on their queue for some other time, whenever that might be. This just seems like a flawed procedure to me.

I agree Rosie. I am sure that there is a good reason why Logos are doing things this way but it does seems a bit mad to continually release resources which are missing LCV.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 7:05 AM

Rosie Perera:
I still don't know why it isn't part of their product release checklist to make sure ever new product is tagged with LCV. That only frustrates people. I'd have been willing to wait another couple of weeks (or more) on this for them to do the LCV tagging up front, rather than put it on their queue for some other time, whenever that might be. This just seems like a flawed procedure to me.

Not that I have this particular resource, but ! I bet when the Anchor Yale Bible Reference Library finally is released, we'll find there's work still to be done on that one as well. There always seems to be... And it must be even more frustrating for those who have download limits, having to download several times what they should have been getting the first.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 33277
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 1:46 PM

Rosie Perera:
I hope Logos adds both of these series to Logos Controlled Vocabulary (LCV). They don't appear to be tagged for it yet.

Have you seen anything other than dictionaries and encyclopedias appear in the topic section?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 19280
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2011 3:22 PM

MJ. Smith:

Rosie Perera:
I hope Logos adds both of these series to Logos Controlled Vocabulary (LCV). They don't appear to be tagged for it yet.

Have you seen anything other than dictionaries and encyclopedias appear in the topic section?

Not yet, but I thought they had hinted that they are intending to do more than just dictionaries and encyclopedias over time. Can't remember enough of the quote to find the post by whoever it was (Sean Boisen??) right now. This is all I found. Maybe I'm misremembering it due to wishful thinking.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS