Why is Logos 4 Mac so slow to respond?

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2
Jonathan Alexander | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 9 2011 10:58 AM

i have a new macbook pro (6 weeks old) and am running Logos 4. i typically run exegetical guides, open lexicons, and the occasional commentary. why does logos 4 run so slow especially in regard to response... expanding exegetical guides to open more resources, highlighting over greek/hebrew/english words, etc.

ideas to speed up logos? 

it shouldn't be running this slow...

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2011 11:48 AM

Exegetical Guide - Word by Word section is slow (to populate and scroll) - personally customized Exegetical Guide by removing Word by Word section to improve Logos 4 performance on Mac and PC.  Now using a visual filter to color highlight grammatical usage along with displaying Louw-Nida numbers for pop-up semantic domain range of word meaning:

This visual filter includes compatible Nominative and Accusative highlighting so both can be appear for neuter words whose context determines case: e.g. Phil 4:6 τὰ αἰτήματα (requests) and Phil 4:8 Τὸ  λοιπόν (Finally).  Also have option to right click on any Bible word and choose Bible Word Study.

Personally created a custom guide: Word by Word - All (only has Word by Word section - for times when want detailed report for a verse or two).  Word by Word shows Phil 4:6 τὰ αἰτήματα (requests) can be Nominative, Accusative.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2011 11:49 AM

Jonathan, I am not a Mac user, but there have been multiple threads on this.  And varying experience.  Here is a relatively short thread that might give you some links and interaction on your question.

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/30677.aspx

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 100
Richard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2011 1:14 PM

What are the specs of your MBP? The 13" have Core Duo processors, which are quite a bit less of a performer than the Core i5 (standard on 15"), even when the speed is the same. A faster HDD (7200RPM or SDD) is critical.

-- Richard

Logos 6 Mac (always the latest beta)

MacBook Air Mid 2011 (Lion)  |  1.8GHz Core i7  |  4GB RAM  |  256GB SSD
Samsung Galaxy S5

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2011 1:50 PM

Richard:

What are the specs of your MBP? The 13" have Core Duo processors, which are quite a bit less of a performer than the Core i5 (standard on 15"), even when the speed is the same. A faster HDD (7200RPM or SDD) is critical.

Jonathan Alexander:
new macbook pro (6 weeks old)

Looking at Buyer's Guide => http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro - Mac Book Pro's were refreshed on 24 Feb 2011 (about 2 weeks ago) with 2nd generation Intel Core i processors that are noticeably faster.  Unfortunately, Apple default configuration still uses slower 5400 RPM hard drives.

Jonathan Alexander:
expanding exegetical guides to open more resources, highlighting over greek/hebrew/english words, etc.

Apologies - initially responded to Exegetical Guide (Word by Word) - missed highlighting issues - please elaborate.

Mac Troubleshooting page has How to Report Bugs in Logos 4 Mac - screen shots would be helpful to illustrate performance issues - allow adventurous users and Logos developers to replicate (features in use tend to get attention for optimization).  Logos 4.2a SR-2 included some performance improvements.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2307
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2011 9:12 PM

If you haven't already turn off other applications you aren't using. Safari uses lots of memory. Open Activity Monitor and see what other things might also be hogging resources. Adding more RAM memory is always a good idea.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2011 11:53 PM

Michael Ballai:
Open Activity Monitor and see what other things might also be hogging resources.

Mac Troubleshooting page has Slow Performance section with Activity Monitor screen shot..

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 119
Ross Durham | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 8:04 AM

I've also found 4.2a SR-2 to be a little slower than previous beta releases, and noticeably and bothersomely slow over all.  Lots of "beach balls" in doing simple things; delays that are long enough and often enough to make me think, "What's going on?  Why doesn't this work more seemlessly?"

Ross

MBP 17" i5, 7200 rpm drive, 4 gb ram,

Posts 62
Jason Ledbetter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 9:19 AM

My experience: Logos for Mac has always sat on the "barely useful" edge of responsiveness. I think we are experiencing the trade-off associated with platform independent frameworks.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't unusable, but it isn't snappy - and that's independent of what hardware I throw under it.

With equivalent hardware running Windows/Logos and Mac/Logos, Windows/Logos just "feels" snappier. 

The problem is more in the UI feel than that of underlying searches in my opinion... 

Yes, an SSD makes it faster, but it makes everything faster... so in my world, that doesn't "fix logos" but rather "hides the concern".

(I'm a computer performance analyst/engineer by trade...)

-jbl

Posts 119
Ross Durham | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 12:03 PM

Well stated, jbl.  Very good summary of the experience and issues.

Ross

Posts 2725
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 8:13 PM

I now have a 2010 MacBook Air and a 2011 MacBook Pro (Intel Core i7 2GHz processor, 4GB of Ram, 5400 rpm hard drive) and Logos is still sluggish if not slow. Just a poorly coded program when this beefy a system struggles with it. Using the system they used was a huge mistake and we are going to pay the price for many years to come since Logos is so slow to update. After all we are on version 4 of a program that has been around for nearly 2 decades. But it is not unusable, just not as enjoyable as it could be if they had gone with traditional Windows/Mac OS coding environments instead of the silly overlay environment.

Posts 100
Richard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 11 2011 5:49 AM

Kevin - it seems you have obvious bottlenecks with each system. With the air, it's a Core Duo processor, and unless you upgraded, 2GB RAM. 4GB would be a minimum.  With the new macbook pro, you have a slow hard drive. I have a 7200RPM drive and it has helped a lot.

Mind you - Logos is still slow, and if I did not already have Logos, I'd probably have gone with Accordance simply based on performance. I even still use BW in VirtualBox (as much for functionality as speed). But just getting a faster hard drive would help a lot.

-- Richard

Samsung Galaxy S5

Posts 2725
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 13 2011 7:24 AM

Richard:
unless you upgraded, 2GB RAM. 4GB would be a minimum.

I got the 4GB model.

I am experienced enough to know that a processor upgrade is not going to overcome the slowness of this program. It is just not a fast program. As I said, not unusable, but it takes forever to load on every machine I have (windows, mac) and that's fine. But it also grabs resources so on my older systems I shut it down while not using it.

I understand that it is not popular to say this inside the Logos locker room. But I'm not on the team. I'm just a fan. And as a journalist I represent the user not the company.

Posts 113
bryan jay | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 10:39 AM

Hi Kevin,

Your link in your signature is not working.... might want to fix that.  Looks like an interesting magazine.

Bryan

Theological Reflection with Practical Application

SubmittedToTheWord.com

Posts 206
Aaron Knotts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 7:15 PM

Richard:
...I have a 7200RPM drive and it has helped a lot.

Richard, I am curious.....how much is a lot?  I have a late 2010 MBP 15" i5 2.4 with only a 5400rpm. I was surprised I must admit that for the price, Apple weren't using 7200rpm as standard. 
Certainly increasing responsiveness would desirable (lest I regret having switched from PC to Mac).

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

Posts 100
Richard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 15 2011 7:45 PM

My comparison for hdd speed is from my PC, which I had until Thanksgiving of 2010. There was a noticeable improvement with the faster hdd. The day my MBP arrived, I booted once to make sure it worked, then swapped the hdd out for a 7200RPM drive before installing anything.

-- Richard

Samsung Galaxy S5

Posts 12
Don Pederson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 12:13 PM

I think the problem is the way they went about implementing the cross platform.  They used .NET on the Windows side and Mono on the Mac.  Then they used Cocoa for the Mac gui.  .NET results in big, slow programs and Mono is undoubtedly even slower.  You will notice that while the Windows version of Logos4 is a bit faster than the Mac version, it is still not snappy and is slower than version 3.

In my humble opinion they should have used a C++ framework like QT 4.7.  They they could have compiled a native version that runs on Windows/Mac/Linux using native controls and also have great performance.

Posts 2725
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 19 2011 5:48 PM

bryan jay:

Hi Kevin,

Your link in your signature is not working.... might want to fix that.  Looks like an interesting magazine.

Bryan

Thanks. Getting to it now.

Posts 74
Monroe R Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 20 2011 1:13 PM

I have noticed that L4Mac is much quicker when I turn off the Internet. There seems to be something about synchronizing that slows the program down.

Rich+

Posts 66
Michael R. Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 22 2011 5:51 PM

I have noticed the same thing which is why it is beyond me that Logos forces me to sync even when I don't want to.

One can talk about hard drive rpm and whatnot till the cows come home and nothing will change the simple fact that this program is slow no what platform, no matter what hard drive, no matter how much RAM or what processor. (I've run it on a few different ones and no matter what it's slow.)

It's an excellent program, it does great things, and it makes my life easier in many ways, but the slowness along with a few other irritating things make it so hard to use that I almost dread it sometimes.

It is even more irritating when I consider how much I spent on it. For this amount of money, I shouldn't have to go make a sandwich to kill time when switching between layouts.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS