Shouldn't we let Logos Know....

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 9 2011 4:59 PM | Locked

Seeing today's blog on Lent got me thinking...I hope Logos know's they don't need to give up Beta releases for Lent.

Singing the Beta Blues...

Posts 1537
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2011 5:03 PM | Locked

Big Smile They must be holding back cause the next release comes with P.b.b... Wishful thinking Cake

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 12:27 AM | Locked

Blair Laird:

Big Smile They must be holding back cause the next release comes with P.b.b... Wishful thinking Cake

YesYesYes

Bohuslav

Posts 2753
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 1:00 AM | Locked

[its quarterly whinge time] shouldnt we let Logos Know...

1) We all want our missing feature which is cool, me included, hopefully PBB will be in this time, and document sharing, and handouts, note sorting options and the list sadly seemeth to goeth on and on and on.. even though it is shrinking PTL.

2) More important for me is that the functionality for released features should exceed or at least be equal with Logos3 sadly in several areas this equation is still not true Sad, I reinstalled L3 the other day beacuse for me the Sentence diagramming usability in v3 stil exceeds v4, its not just SD's on which I and many others have posted/requested changes to improve the software user experience, we hear and see nothing ( I have tried to be patient, but some niggles have been lingering almost since late alpha if not early beta.. reported ad-nauseam and I confess I have given up hope of fixes)

3) I have said before and sorry if I am annoying you by saying it agin "no one seems to be looking at the existing functionality in v3 as a benchmark, or minimum requirement, and improving the existing feature set from there, I know its probably not true, but they seem to be starting from a blank sheet of paper all over again." 

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 336
Icarus38376 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 6:25 AM | Locked

Some of us don't observe lent, and find this advertising offensive.

Posts 1657
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 10:01 AM | Locked

Then ignore it

Regards, SteveF

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 10:52 AM | Locked

I don't observe lent; but I will give up my "Update now" command if they will release the next betaBig Smile

Posts 386
Clinton Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 2:55 PM | Locked

I too do not observe lent, but I will gladly give up running the stable release....if a beta comes out.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 2:59 PM | Locked

I also do not observe lent but... what was the problem?

Bohuslav

Posts 336
Icarus38376 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 7:43 PM | Locked

Logos employees and forum members have made it clear that this forum is not the place for expressing differing theological views. 

Therefore, I find it presumptuous and inconsiderate of Logos to advertise using a ritual that is only held by some sects of Christianity.  If we have to post a-denominationally why doesn't Logos? 

Should we soon expect a blog special on nation "baptism for the dead" day?

10 Powerful Resources for Baptizing your Dead

For those who baptize for the dead, today we are offering special resources on Friday nation "baptism for the dead" day

Posts 31350
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 10 2011 9:12 PM | Locked

CoramDeo:

Therefore, I find it presumptuous and inconsiderate of Logos to advertise using a ritual that is only held by some sects of Christianity.  If we have to post a-denominationally why doesn't Logos? 

Should we soon expect a blog special on nation "baptism for the dead" day?

When Logos carries significant Mormon resources, I could see ads for "baptism for the dead day" if such a day exists. If you read the posts, you will find that most are not "a-denominational" - most presume an evangelical background when people request information rather than technical questions. I happily shop at a specialty grocer that advertises halal and kosher meats despite the fact I observe neither set of restrictions. I simply recognize that when the grocer offers Ramadan or Passover specials, I'm not the intended audience. Similarly, Logos is free to offer and advertise in ways that target only a subset of their customers. People are free to judge for themselves whether or not they are included in the target audience.

Logos did not put the theological discussions limitations on the old news groups. Unfortunately, in the forums a small number of posters went far beyond the bounds of decency and forced Logos to put rules in place. If everyone had acted with the manners that they would have used in one's living room, the rules would not have been needed. Logos has never debated theology or used ads to malign others. Forum posters have.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 11 2011 2:17 AM | Locked

CoramDeo:
I find it presumptuous and inconsiderate of Logos

I assume that Logos can presume to do what they like with their Blog. They can also place demands on those of us who use their forums. The two are not unrelated. It's all theirs - not ours.

Posts 155
James Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 11 2011 2:34 AM | Locked

"It is a great and common sin through the Christian world, to take up Religion in a way of faction; and instead of a love and tender care of the Universal Church, to confine that love and respect to a party."  -Richard Baxter  The Practical Works of the Rev. Richard Baxter: Volume XIV

Sometimes the "Old Dead Guys" just seem to say it best! Wink

In Him,

Jim

Posts 741
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 11 2011 5:14 AM | Locked

I don't observe sports, so March Madness offends me.

Lighten up folks...

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 336
Icarus38376 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 11 2011 5:26 AM | Locked

Clearly March Madness is not the same as the cause of Jesus Christ and His Gospel.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 11 2011 5:26 AM | Locked

coram,

I know this is a hard thing to sort out at first but Logos is a BIBLE software company...not any particular denomination....they produce books and software to search those books.

I know this is somewhat hard to sort out because it took me a long time to get a grip on the idea that there are other books than just the ones that I'd approve of.... :)

For the record...I'm a Reformed Protestant...a Calvinist in slang terms...and I'd LOVE ALL the LDS (Mormon) resources I could get my hands on!

Sit back a second and give some thought to what you are saying....does it make sense? Should Logos ONLY produce books that are acceptable to a "certain cross-section of Protestantism"?

Of course not.

Heck! I even kept silent when the Arminian resources go on sale! Crying and my favorite Calvinist authors languish in Community pricing land forever!

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 11 2011 5:36 AM | Locked

Personally as a Southern Baptist I am waiting on 

Archeaological Evidence and the Last Supper: Proof Jesus used Welch's grape juice and saltine crackers Wink

I don't believe that but I know some deacons who would probably treat it with as much authority as the bible itself.

Posts 336
Icarus38376 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 11 2011 6:08 AM | Locked

Thanks for your reply Robert

I agree that Logos has the legal ability to sell and promote anything they want, no problem.   I imagine however (and hope) that somewhere at the top of the ladder there is a man or men with some conviction for the cause of the Gospel.  I would hope that this greater cause would override promoting resources just to sell resources. 

For example, If I were a calvanist and had a book store, I would have sections in the soteriology section;  Arminian, Reformed, Calvanistic Baptist, etc.  I would NOT however have an Arminian day celebration or promotion.  This would

1. give the impression that I as the store owner (and servant of Christ) am in agreement with arminian thought or

2. give the impression that promiting any books regarless of their validity is of higher concern than the truth of the gospel. 

If people want to buy resources that support other views than their own, OK (even reformed people want to learn contending doctrines), but It would be against my conscience to actively promote that which I don't believe.  Doesn't Logos have any of these convictions?  In fact, I would rather hear Logos say "we are a Mormon Software company...We will sell all types of resources, but we will promote the Mormon view and make software enhancements that help mormons study the mormon scriptures in a better way, for we believe that Mormon doctrine and practices are closest to scriptural teaching"    Then I can make a choice.  Do I want to give money to a mormon company or purchase another line of software.   I am sure however, that the Mormons would have enough conviction that they wouldn't promote books on the Trinity.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 11 2011 6:15 AM | Locked

Coram....

As I tried to hard to state...they sell books and the software to search them.

If you'd like to say that we (as a protestant) shouldn't even ever buy, open, look at, nor study any documents of any other religion that we disagree with...

Then I disagree with you...

You might feel that logos is endorsing certain belief systems...but that's your personal opinion and  you are welcome to it.

PS: Mormons have all KINDS of books on things like the trinity....all issues relating to their belief, however wrong I believe it to be...they publish on that subject also.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 336
Icarus38376 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 11 2011 6:22 AM | Locked

Robert, You may have missed the part

"If people want to buy resources that support other views than their own, OK (even reformed people want to learn contending doctrines)"

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS