Hardcopy vs digital media... anybody else like me?

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 67
Aaron Kesson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2011 6:39 AM

When it comes to working this out in my own mind, I look at the individual resource I am looking at purchasing.  I have found that I do not like reading straight through electronically (although I am making some strides there!), but that for other resources like lexicons, dictionaries, and commentaries, and even more robust reference works, the electronic version cannot be beat insofar as relative cost and ease of use for searching, marking, etc.

The biggest issue for me is the inability to sell any electronic works (although, once again I have not had the deep desire to do so!)

Grace and Peace,

-Rev. Aaron Kesson

http://www.aaronkesson.com

Posts 2160
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2011 7:16 AM

For the last ten years I have gone strictly electronic. I only buy hardcopy books, when they are not available in electronic format. Over the past year, I have gone strictly electronic, using the IPad to preach and teach Sunday School from.

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2011 8:40 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:

It's not always an easy transition. One of the benefits of paper is that it is so easy to mark up. I mark up all my books... yes, I can do that on Logos, but not as quickly.

Regardless, I am making the transition myself. When the iPad 3 comes out, I plan to get one and go pretty much digital on all fronts for reasons already stated in this forum. In my line of international work, it is the ONLY way I can have access to a library. Logos is precious to me in this regard.

Agreed. If the resolution on the iPad 3 is as rumored, it will be great for reading. Since I bought an iPhone 4S, I've enjoyed the capability of accessing most of my Logos library wherever I happen to be.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2011 8:58 AM

Bill Moore:

Agreed. If the resolution on the iPad 3 is as rumored, it will be great for reading. 

Bill, the resolution of the first gen. iPad and iPad 2 is already more than sufficient for reading Logos resources!

Posts 167
David Kirk Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2011 9:11 AM

I had Logos ten years ago on my desktop ten years ago but quickly disliked reading at the desk. I gave up for ten years and stumbled across Logos this Thanksgiving again. I quickly learned it was iPad compatible and took the plunge for Portfolio. When I found an old CD with a serial number I called customer service and activated not only that disk but all the others I activated ten years ago including 53 volumes of the Word Biblical commentary. I am completely sold on digital. I just purchased the Christmas Master collection and got a 500 refund for other books I bought this month. Happy to be at the 50 percent credit level and I am going to have a fun shopping spree in January for free! Logos is really awesome. 

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2011 10:54 AM

I actually prefer straight reading on iPad or Kindle, rather than books.  I recently spent a month in Germany and returned with only 5 new books, unheard of for me.  3 of them were written or partly written by friends, one was about a friend, and one was a calendar of jokes.  None of them available electronically!  Thios also saved me having to pay excess baggage ( helped by the fact that the girl weighing me in didn't look TOO closely at the scales,and that the airline generously doesn't have a weight limit on cabin baggage!.  OK, I had laptop, iPad and Kindle, all in cabin baggage, and room for my books as well.  Otherwise I just had Greek Testament.  I leave my Hebrew-English parallel text Bible at home when travelling and read that from Logos.

At home I read my Bible in book form, but use iPad for checking out cross references from Greek Testament..  I read Logos books on vyrso, commentaries on Logos app, unless I want to flick through from one commentary to another to try to shed light on a verse I find difficult.  Then I sit up to the laptop.

I much look forward to the time I shall have prayer lists synced to iPad.

Today when I was reading NT I tried to flick to the next page as you do on the iPad!

Happy Christmas everybody, and enjoy those nice Christmas presents from Logos and vyrso!

Posts 1150
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2011 11:41 AM

Mark:

However, I do worry that all the investment will disappear one day if the books are not in a universal format.   That I always worry about.  What if Logos folds one day?  What if technology changes and policies at Logos changes etc and my books are no longer available to me?  What if Microsoft makes major decisions and Logos is not able to continue to offer books or run their library?  What if...what if...

I completely agree. This is also one of my concerns. I am spending lots of money on my Logos library and don't know if I can still use it in 10 years. Having a "real" book means that my great-grandchildren can still use them. But I am pretty sure that they won't be using Logos any more. 

Armin

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2011 11:54 PM

Armin:

I completely agree. This is also one of my concerns. I am spending lots of money on my Logos library and don't know if I can still use it in 10 years. Having a "real" book means that my great-grandchildren can still use them. But I am pretty sure that they won't be using Logos any more. 

Armin

I've been thinking about this lately and have come to a few conclusions about my digital library.

1. It can never be stolen or damaged. If my house went up in flames tomorrow, I would still have my library.

2. Paper books get old and start to fall apart. You mentioned being able to pass on your paper books to your great-grandchildren, but would they even want your old and shelf-worn books by that time? A digital library stays technically brand-new forever. How many of your great grandfathers books do you own and use regularly?

3. Logos is the leading Bible software company - by a long shot! They are not going anywhere. Every year they have tremendous growth, even in our poor economy. Not many companies can say that!

4. My digital library is ridiculously portable. I can be sitting at Starbucks and have 1,000's of my books at my fingertips (on my iPad). Try doing that at Starbucks with your paper books.

5. My digital library (with Logos 4) saves me a ridiculous amount of time. Within less than two minuets I can have ALL of my commentaries opened to a single passage. Try doing that with paper books.

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2011 12:25 AM

Joshua Garcia:

2. Paper books get old and start to fall apart. You mentioned being able to pass on your paper books to your great-grandchildren, but would they even want your old and shelf-worn books by that time? A digital library stays technically brand-new forever. How many of your great grandfathers books do you own and use regularly?

I would point out that new books can do the same...so digital is even better. My Begining Greek textbook from college was so poorly bound that everyone in my class had their book split apart (it was glued to the binding). It's now available in Logos, I wish it had been when I took the class. Also since the liscence can be transfered your great-grandchildren can use them.

Blessings!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2011 12:37 AM

Philana Crouch:
My Begining Greek textbook from college was so poorly bound that everyone in my class had their book split apart (it was glued to the binding). It's now available in Logos, I wish it had been when I took the class.

Thankful for Logos Greek Morphology visual filter highlighting that can highlight verbal moods and tenses in a passage.

From a technology perspective, Thankful for virtualization so can use Logos 4 offline and not need to upgrade operating system.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS