Word studies in logos 4

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 4
Shaun Grunblatt | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 18 2011 1:49 PM

Is it just me or has the "upgrade" to logos4 from version 3 down graded in it ability to do original language word studies. In version 3 I was able to easily type in a Greek word in its lexical form and bam a list of every use of that stem in the Greek N.T. and in the LXX. The entries were broken up by grammatical usage. Now, with version 4 it wont even give me any Greek results in the N.T. There is a search spot for it, but it only lists English Bibles as options. Then if you click where it says N.T. version 4 opens a new tab and does a search. Because the Greek word is carried over with slashes and dos type prompt stuff i.e. //< .>. you have to erase all that. However the result is that version 4 does not give every listing of that stem only the lexical uses for example δουλος only looks up the N.Sg form. If that was not enough I had to manually download Greek and Hebrew fonts to even attempt to do a original language word study. I feel like version 4 is less scholarly than 3 was and am considering going back.

Maybe I am just an idiot, which is certainly possible, but I would like to be able to use the original language functions that I paid all this money to use. I went for the upgrade to version 4 mainly to utilize my library on my ipad, but did not know I would have to sacrifice the main reason I bought the software.

Grace and Peace

shaun

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 2:18 PM

Welcome Big Smile

Wiki page Getting Started with Logos has Search section with links to Wiki search pages and several video demonstrations.

In Logos 4, can right click on a word, click lemma, click Morph Search

Morph Search has analysis that can group by grammatical usage:

Personally tagged interlinear resources in my library then created a collection:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 2:33 PM

Option: Libronix 3 and Logos 4 can peacefully coexist.  Many resources in Logos 4 packages can be downloaded and used in Libronix 3, see your Logos.com orders page => https://www.logos.com/user/orders

Found other cases for g:doulos (entered lemma using english keyboard for morph search):

By the way, results include singular and plural.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4
Shaun Grunblatt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 2:46 PM

dear keep smiling,

My problem is not gong from within the text already, but starting from the Greek word.In version 3 I was able to type in a Greek word into the word study function and it basically acted as a Greek concordance on steroids with a ton of Greek-English dictionaries. Furthermore, the results were easily readable laid out verse by verse visibly on the screen from the Nestle Aland 27 or whatever Greek text I chose. I did not have to click on any other menu much less a list of other menus to fumble through. Thank you for your help, but I still do not think there is a comparison. I  do appreciate you help, and I will keep smiling.

In Christ

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 2:57 PM

Shaun,

Try this: open Guides>Bible Word Study from the top menu. In the box at the top type g:doulos and select the Greek word (δοῦλος) from the drop down list.

I think you'll find this to surpass the same function in L3. If not, let us know what you're looking for.

BTW, you can also run a Bible Word Study from the right click menu in any original language text, or any reverse interlinear.

EDIT: There appears to be a bug here in that a BWS for δοῦλος produces zero results in the BWS for the NT, although doing a "Search this Resource" from my primary Bible (NIV) or another Bible (e.g. ESV) does produce hits. I will report this as a bug.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 3:25 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
EDIT: There appears to be a bug here in that a BWS for δοῦλος produces zero results in the BWS for the NT, although doing a "Search this Resource" from my primary Bible (NIV) or another Bible (e.g. ESV) does produce hits.

Richard,

It is working for me in L4 version 4.2aSR2 for both NIV84 and the ESV for all fields in BWS.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 3:30 PM

steve clark:
It is working for me in L4 version 4.2aSR2 for both NIV84 and the ESV for all fields in BWS.

What do you see when you scroll to the bottom of the BWS report under Textual Searches > New Testament ?

(See my bug report for further clarification of what I'm seeing.)

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 3:34 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
What do you see when you scroll to the bottom of the BWS report under Textual Searches > New Testament ?

Yes, i posted earlier before reading your bug report. But i am unable to duplicate your results. ????

EDIT: just tried your method 2, right click in NIV84 on servant in Matt 8:9. It brought up BWS to doulos and the Text Searches still showed the same as in the above image. I closed BWS before doing your method 2. i don't know what is happening. Perhaps there are other steps to reproduce your results?

EDIT2: shrunk image to reduce post space. (also, the image above was per your method 1)

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 3:49 PM

steve clark:
Perhaps there are other steps to reproduce your results?

If there are, I'm not sure what they might be. I tried restarting L4 and rerunning the BWS report and got the same results. Then I rest my preferred and highest prioritized Bible to the ESV and restarted L4, and got the same results. However it may be related to the Greek text (not the Rev Int texts)

I'll report other findings on my bug report thread.

Posts 2849
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 18 2011 6:16 PM

Richard,

That's a trick I didn't know. I'll try it the next time I fire up L4. Thank you sir!

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 856
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 20 2011 6:40 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Welcome Big Smile

Keep Smiling Smile

This is very helpful. I had an Interlinears Collection, but in an effort to trim the number of Collections and mytags - I deleted it. I just created another using this string: type: bible interlinear and under +these resources I added: Lexham DGNT and Lexham SGNT.

Under Analysis View, these Lexham resources display results under their own columns. You can see for instance the Syntactic Force of each word or its Discourse function.

For fun, I did a search for all morph text in Jn 3:16 in Interlinears with Logos Greek Morphology. In the Search box I typed: @* The results were word by word through the Greek text. I sorted by Resource as you did and that let me see the Discourse use of each word and then by scrolling down  to the next resource (or collapsing that section), the syntactic force of each word.

Thanks Smiling Big Smile

Posts 666
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 20 2011 9:27 AM

Keep Smiling, how long did it take for Logos to do the search you explained above in analysis view? Mine seems awfully slow. In fact it crashes every time.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 5:49 AM

Jeremy:

Keep Smiling, how long did it take for Logos to do the search you explained above in analysis view? Mine seems awfully slow. In fact it crashes every time.

Using a laptop built in 2008 running Windows 7 Ultimate, analysis search takes almost 4 minutes.

To diagnose crashes, need log files; wiki has http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 6:29 AM

Richard DeRuiter:

Shaun,

Try this: open Guides>Bible Word Study from the top menu. In the box at the top type g:doulos and select the Greek word (δοῦλος) from the drop down li

For anyone interested, you can do this from the command bar.  Type in   open bible word study to g:doulos.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 4
Shaun Grunblatt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 8:12 AM

Richard,

I have done that. I even have the Greek fonts on my computer so that i can manually type in the Greek word myself. However, my problem is that the section in the word study results/report that should be the Greek occurrences or the stem comes up zero. I am not really interested int he English Occurrences. There seems to be some sort of a glitch. The logos 4 version of what 3 did even if it worked properly seems to neglect those of us who are more interested in the Original languages. I realize that there are more Greek interlinear s and books in regard to Greek. However, the word study tool seems to neglect what the old version emphasized. I appreciate all that yall are doing, but as a seminary student and a student of Greek and Hebrew I would like to be able to work directly with the languages as I have with version 3. I have not yet tried to do an exegetical report yet, so hopefully my response to that will be different. Thank you for all that you do and may God continue to bless the ministry that he  has given you in Christ Jesus our Lord. Grace and Peace in Him.

P.S. will ya'll be releasing Lou and Nida for mobile logos (ipad) users? That would be great!!!

P.S. I just tried to run that word study with δουλος again and it still comes back 0 results in o verses in the New Testament category. On a lighter note it does list 376 occurances in the LXX and 73 in the Apostolic Fathers

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 10:01 AM

Shaun Grunblatt:
     I have done that. I even have the Greek fonts on my computer so that i can manually type in the Greek word myself. However, my problem is that the section in the word study results/report that should be the Greek occurrences or the stem comes up zero. I am not really interested int he English Occurrences.

There is a problem with one of the NA27's (the one with Grammcord and the McRynolds Interlinear) for this word (don't know if it happens with other words), or the way the BWS report handles the word with the NA27 Gram/Int (that's my abbeviation, BTW).

Check out my bug report here for a further description. If you prioritize another Greek NT above the NA27 (Gram/Int), for example the Lexham Greek New Testament Interlinear (LGNTI), you'll get the proper report in the BWS.

Also typing in the old Greek fonts (e.g. Greaca) won't help you search in Logos4, since Logos4 uses unicode. If you want to type in Greek you need to use a Greek or other language keyboard or Shibboleth (a tool for typing/copying/pasting into any unicode compliant software).

Posts 4
Shaun Grunblatt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 11:05 AM

Richard,

I am using the fonts that are supplied by logos. the program is recognizing my font it is just not giving me a report for Greek N.T. I will try prioritizing a different Greek text.  Are you also telling me that the logos word search only works with interlinears? I prefer to use the NA 27 that is not an interlinear.  I apologize for being difficult. I just prefer to work in the Greek.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 22 2011 2:13 PM

Shaun Grunblatt:
I will try prioritizing a different Greek text.  Are you also telling me that the logos word search only works with interlinears?

No. Word searching works with any Greek text, including the NA27 Gram/Int. The only problem I've found is that by running a BWS report from a reverse interlinear, if the NA27 Gram/Int is my preferred (1st Greek Bible listed in my priorities) that the BWS report shows 0 results for the NT part of the report (as I describe in my bug report - see above for the link).

The same happens, if I run a BWS report with the NA27 (with Grammcord & McReynolds Interlinear) as my 1st listed Greek Bible in my priorities.

If I put any other Greek NT there, I don't have that issue with the BWS report.

If you are running a search (that is not using the BWS report, but the search tool) and getting 0 results for the NT, please describe, step-by-step, what you're doing, if not take a screen shot. Logos4 should be able to give you what you're looking for.

No apology is necessary. Somewhere, either you're doing something wrong, or your system has a unique problem, because what you're describing should work. Trying to narrow this down in this medium is bound to result in some communication 'issues.'

Posts 666
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 27 2011 8:56 AM

I was posting my logs, but Logos finally was able to perform the search that Keep Smiling demonstrated.

Posts 666
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 27 2011 9:02 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

How were you able to make the morph search not open up every one of your interlinears? How do you get that arrow pointing to each book when performing this search?

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS