Huge Facebook-only sale!

Page 3 of 6 (106 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 105 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 29 2011 11:16 AM

Stephen Smith:
friends who Facebook determines might want to see that you liked links from Logos.com will only see one story and the words "and 10 other links from logos.com"

Did not realize that, that would take care of any clutter. I should have thought of this since Facebook does something similar to items coming from Twitter, even grouping tweets from multiple people.

Stephen Smith:
The stories that show up in your profile shouldn't matter too much because the majority of Facebook use it people reading their newsfeed wall, not actually navigating to individual friends' profiles.

Agreed

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 29 2011 11:27 AM

NewbieMick:
Actually, I'm not on facebook and up till now had no inclination to do so. I'm giving away enough of my privacy (and hang around online) in forums.

I feel the same way, but finally caved in. Of course, I opened a new Hotmail account just for Facebook, I didn't make any friends, and I switched every setting I could find to make things visible just for me and no one else. And I may have happened to slip a bit on the keyboard when I typed in my name and birthday. So I don't believe I gave away much, except my IP address (and there are ways around that as well if you want).

tom collinge:
There is one huge difference between what Logos is asking us to do and me telling a friend that I found this new place to have dinner.  This one huge difference is Logos is initiating the conversation.  Logos is trying to convince me to tell my friends that I like this item

tom collinge:
I NEVER do this because I feel like I am being used by Logos.

tom collinge:
I am not a tool to be used by any company, and I will not make an exception for Logos.

Chris Roberts:
Because of the clutter issue, I've not done any likes - not wanting to flood facebook friends (and church members!) with a lot of product pages. I love Logos, I love the resources, but I love my friends more and don't want them ditching me in the flood. :)

Tom, as one who finds much of Logos' business methods less than ethical, and as one who myself refuses to take part in some types of sales because of this, I admire your principles. In this particular case, however, I don't agree with you. I see nothing inherently dishonest in this sale, nothing that forces me to violate my principles in order to take part. 

Admittedly, it takes a ridiculous amount of time if you wish to 'like' more than a few things -- time that could probably be better spent -- but at least it's voluntary and I have a chance to get something out of it (and help others get something out of it) -- which is an awful lot more than can be said about the equally ridiculous amount of time I have to spend on reporting typos and bugs. Forcing paying customers to act as unpaid alpha/beta testers and proof-readers, that is immoral; offering us a chance to earn a little by advertising for them is not in my opinion.

As for the flooding and being used, well, if they use you, you can use them, right? What's to stop the two of you and everyone else from opening a second Facebook account just for this, as outlined above? Then your friends won't see a thing.

What would be immoral, though, in my opinion, would be to refuse to take part in the 'liking', and yet take advantage of the sale prices. If you won't help to bring the prices down for others, you shouldn't then jump in to benefit from the work of those others. Just an opinion. What you actually do is between you and God, and I couldn't care less. (And yes, Tom, I saw your answer.)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 5621
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 29 2011 1:01 PM

fgh:
What would be immoral, though, in my opinion, would be to refuse to take part in the 'liking', and yet take advantage of the sale prices.

I disagree with this, and I suspect Logos would too.  Sale prices exist to get people to make purchases.  Logos would love it if people who aren't interacting with them regularly would buy more stuff.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 29 2011 2:14 PM

Todd Phillips:
I disagree with this

Feel free to do so. Smile However, I wasn't talking about people who simply missed the first part of the sale, or something like that. I was talking about people who deliberately refuse to 'like' because they find the idea behind this sale unethical, but who then nevertheless intend to take advantage of it.

Todd Phillips:
Sale prices exist to get people to make purchases.  Logos would love it if people who aren't interacting with them regularly would buy more stuff.

You'd think so, but not necessarily. If Logos thought like that this wouldn't be a Facebook only sale, there wouldn't be Twitter only offers, we wouldn't be forbidden to post campaign codes in the forums, and no one would get a better price by calling a sales rep. 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3
Raewyn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 30 2011 10:25 AM

There is a way to stop flooding your friends newsfeeds:

1. Click on Facebook Account tab
2. Click on Privacy Settings
3. Click on View Settings link
4. Change "See your likes, activities and other connections" to ONLY ME
Posts 340
Smithereens | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 30 2011 10:33 AM

RaewynG:
There is a way to stop flooding your friends newsfeeds

Seems like a lot of extra work to me, since it already doesn't flood your friends' feeds. Wink

Posts 5393
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 30 2011 11:13 AM

I have a Facebook account.  It's about 2-3 years old and I think I've logged less than a dozen "usages". I frankly just don't get it. Same with Twitter, which I've never used and probably never will. Every time I get on Facebook (usually its because someone I know has initiated a "friend" request--I'm all the way up to 12 now), I am overcome with a tremendous sense that I'm wasting my time.

The other problem, as far as this sale goes, is that I don't "like" the direction they've gone with L4. Even if they implemented all of my desired changes and upgrades, I'm not sure it would fully resolve my dissatisfaction with the program. My attitude would improve, I suppose, but I don't think L4 is capable of winning me over no matter how much they tweak it. I used to be an unabashed cheerleader for Logos, but ever since L4 came out and effectively relegated L3 to the dustbin, I've pretty much resented L4. I use it, and it does some nifty things, but it is still the severely wanting program that ended further improvement of L3.

I'm waiting for L5. I hope it has what I'm looking for. L4 ain't it. I'd love to have a reason for my attitude to change, especially since Logos is an integral part of my life. If L5 hits it out of the park, then it may be the first thing that I choose to "like" on Facebook.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 30 2011 11:20 AM

David Paul:
The other problem, as far as this sale goes, is that I don't "like" the direction they've gone with L4. Even if they implemented all of my desired changes and upgrades, I'm not sure it would fully resolve my dissatisfaction with the program. My attitude would improve, I suppose, but I don't think L4 is capable of winning me over no matter how much they tweak it. I used to be an unabashed cheerleader for Logos, but ever since L4 came out and effectively relegated L3 to the dustbin, I've pretty much resented L4. I use it, and it does some nifty things, but it is still the severely wanting program that ended further improvement of L3.

I'm waiting for L5. I hope it has what I'm looking for. L4 ain't it. I'd love to have a reason for my attitude to change, especially since Logos is an integral part of my life. If L5 hits it out of the park, then it may be the first thing that I choose to "like" on Facebook.

Just curious David, what would be your list of issues with L4 that are available/done better in L3? Thanks...

Posts 5393
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 1 2011 2:57 AM

Notes, Notes, Notes, and Notes. This may sound like one issue, but as the Notes thread that MJ started points out, it's actually multiple issues.

The lack of a Forward/Back page history drop down. This is almost unforgivable...and unnecessary.

Appearance...though in some respects (not all, though) that is a matter of taste.

Since these things account for approximately 90+% of my usage, it adds up to a critical mass.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 54
(na) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2011 6:52 AM

Here's a question.

I see that there's a fair amount of likes on the EEC. Is there even a chance they'll discount it?

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2011 7:11 AM

Thomas Yassine Bourega:
I see that there's a fair amount of likes on the EEC. Is there even a chance they'll discount it?
I doubt it sincerely.

The original prepub price is the lowest you'll see it, I would suspect the lowest ever.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 687
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2011 1:59 PM

When will this sale actually start?

Posts 340
Smithereens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 2 2011 2:35 PM

Ted Weis:

Per the announcement, the sale prices should be listed exclusively on Facebook this coming Tuesday!

Posts 302
John Graves | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 10:28 AM

Stephen Smith:

Ted Weis:

Per the announcement, the sale prices should be listed exclusively on Facebook this coming Tuesday!

So its tuesday....

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 10:36 AM

John Graves:

Stephen Smith:

Ted Weis:

So its tuesday....

it's been extended for one more day...

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 10:38 AM

John Graves:
So its tuesday....

Logos tweeted this:

Logos: Surprised by some last-minute titles that rose to the top, so we're extending the @Logos 25K Like-a-thon one more day! http://lgs.to/fXqTMO

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 10:54 AM

Kevin Becker:

John Graves:
So its tuesday....

Logos tweeted this:

Logos: Surprised by some last-minute titles that rose to the top, so we're extending the @Logos 25K Like-a-thon one more day! http://lgs.to/fXqTMO

I'm pretty sure that was from yesterday, wasn't it?

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 10:59 AM

Ron Keyston Jr:
I'm pretty sure that was from yesterday, wasn't it?

Well, yeah, but originally the titles were going to be posted on Tuesday, today, which means an one day extension places the titles being revealed on Wednesday, tomorrow even though this particular tweet went out yesterday.

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 11:02 AM

Ahh, I missed that the title posting day was originally today.  I had thought it was to be yesterday.  Thanks Smile

Posts 340
Smithereens | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 5 2011 11:11 AM

John Graves:
So its tuesday....

True, true! Big Smile Stay tuned for some amazing deals (some lower than you've ever seen); they'll be posted "while it is called today."Wink

Page 3 of 6 (106 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS