Nook or Kindle

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 3855
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 25 2011 5:03 PM

Till today, I would have preferred a Amazon Kindle.  Today, I saw these:

http://bit.ly/Color_nook

http://gizmo.do/Color_Nook

This might convince me to go after a Color Nook - just thinking, but with my wife working at Barnes and Noble, I can get a discount (I think).  

Is there anything definite on an Android app - other than lots of user requests?

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 25 2011 5:21 PM

Bible Tech conference tweet:

Danpritchett about 2 hours ago RT @ddunkin: If anyone wants to see @Logos running on Android at #BibleTech see this guy (except @StephenLJohnson ;) http://t.co/75zqetC

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2872
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2011 7:51 AM

If you don't mind either waiting or rooting, the Nook Color is the obvious choice for those who don't mind spending $250.

1. The nook will have an app store in April, most likely. Not sure what kind of apps will be included, but we can hope it will be either the Android Marketplace or the Amazon App Store.

2. Rooting a Nook Color is the process of hacking it to make it run Android 2.2 or 3.0. As a result you can run the Amazon Kindle Android app and have both BN books and Amazon books.

If you are more interested in just reading books and don't care about the other stuff, then the Kindle is the obvious choice. It has as many or more books than BN and is more than $100 cheaper unless you want the 3G version which is $60 cheaper than the Nook Color.

I have both and prefer the Nook just as hardware. LIke the Color screen and feel of the device.

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2011 8:04 AM

My wife has a Nook and loves it.  She just uses it for reading, so we did not go with the Nook Color.  We went with the Nook since she can download books right from CBD, as you can't do so with the Kindle.

Posts 2872
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2011 8:25 AM

Michael:
We went with the Nook since she can download books right from CBD, as you can't do so with the Kindle.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know they had that. Good option since some Christian books are not available via BN or Amazon.

Posts 493
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2011 3:37 PM

The Kindle 3 impressed me so much I bought the company.  ;o)

Seriously, the Kindle 3 ergonomics had me at hello. 

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 26 2011 9:27 PM

Nook will also allow download of library books if they are in download format for 3 weeks (here in tucson) I assume elsewhere too. 

Posts 33
Jeff Causey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 28 2011 6:13 AM

I'm seriously leaning toward picking up a Nook Color and hacking it to run Honeycomb.  Would really like a 10" tablet, but the price points for the devices just don't work for me. 

Posts 2872
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 28 2011 7:05 PM

Jeff Causey:

I'm seriously leaning toward picking up a Nook Color and hacking it to run Honeycomb.  Would really like a 10" tablet, but the price points for the devices just don't work for me. 

If so, I'd wait. Honeycomb on the NC is not ready for prime time. If you like living on the edge go for it, otherwise wait or just get one and play with FroYo until Honeycomb gets better to use on the NC.

Posts 4
Ed Powers | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 28 2011 8:25 PM

I've had a Kindle for a long time and love it.  I just bought an old version iPad, discounted $150 at Best Buy.  runs everything, including Logos.  My Kindle now sits neglected while I use the Kindle App on iPad, reading plan in Logos on iPad, etc.:-)

Posts 33
Jeff Causey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 29 2011 6:20 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

If so, I'd wait. Honeycomb on the NC is not ready for prime time. If you like living on the edge go for it, otherwise wait or just get one and play with FroYo until Honeycomb gets better to use on the NC.

Yeah, I'll be fine.  I pretty much live in beta world. Geeked

Posts 172
NYSERVANT | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2011 9:32 PM

I had the nook color running honeycomb off the sd card (so that way I can still use Nooks standard OS and read books for free in store).

I had 3 nooks colors have problems for me already and my fourth is being sent to me.  I think i'm just gonna stop waiting for the android app and sell this new one and get the Ipad (which is around $300 now)

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 26 2011 11:05 PM

Pastor Ed:

I've had a Kindle for a long time and love it.  I just bought an old version iPad, discounted $150 at Best Buy.  runs everything, including Logos.  My Kindle now sits neglected while I use the Kindle App on iPad, reading plan in Logos on iPad, etc.:-)

I read from my iPad most of the time, and have the Kindle App as well.  But the Kindle comes into its own when I'm sitting in the sun or in bed and reading myself to sleep.  I splurged on the kindle cover that has a reading light incorporated.  I've also started taking the Kindle to church as the visiting priest is sometimes very late, at which I find all sorts of very unchristian emotions arising.  If I have something good to read, I'm happy - maybe I should sit and ask God to deal with these unchristian emotions, but I've taken the easy way out....

Posts 106
Rob Suggs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 27 2011 2:15 PM

People can make legitimate arguments for each. eInk, which Kindle uses, is by far the superior choice for serious readers who might read 70-100 pages of a book before sleeping at night. Studies show that standard backlit screens, such as Ipad or Nook have, will not relax the eyes. Matter of fact, they are counterproductive to becoming sleepy. However, for children's books or magazines or anything where color counts, obviously Kindle would lose out. A big consideration is that Amazon and its catalog are so much more robust; Barnes and Noble, as a company, is fighting for its life. Amazon spent years developing its gadget from a true vision for the future of reading; B&N jumped in only after the success of Kindle, and are being sued for allegedly stealing the design. (I'm not saying that's valid or invalid.) Amazon has fought to hold down the price of eBooks to 9.99; the others have been involved in a collusion to raise prices, which has set back e-reading. I admit to loving my Kindle (and my friends with Nooks absolutely love those). But I'm loyal to Amazon almost in the way I'm loyal to Logos--not quite, but almost. BTW, lending books, and downloading library books, are now available on Kindle. Those were huge advantages for the Nook. I believe the Kindle will ultimately win out as VHS did over Beta, BluRay over HD DVD.

Posts 411
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 27 2011 2:53 PM

Bought my wife the Color Nook last Christmas and just upgraded it a couple of nights ago. The Nooki - as mentioned before - is the way to go if you need color. My wife likes decorator magazines and sucha nd without color its a total waste of time. She researched the pros and cons between the Nook and Kindle and when the Color Nook came out it was an obvious decision. She reads it before going to bed and has no issue with the backlighting (probably a personal preference).

One additional plus to the Nook over the Kindle is replacement batteries. To replace the battery in the Nook you can go to Barnes and Noble, Best Buy, etc and buy the battery and install it yourself. On the Kindle you have to send it in to have the battery replaced. Real bummer there and not well thought out.

Let's not forget the ability to add SD card for additional storage.

Personnally I have held both and like the Nook better. The Kindle just feels flimsy (personal opinion).

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 106
Rob Suggs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 27 2011 4:19 PM

One other point: It's worth looking at how the experts review things. I don't think I've seen Nook best Kindle in a review yet. Consumer Reports continues to rate Kindle higher. Of course, the linked review is a year old. Kindle 3 was a vast improvement, but Nook has definitely bettered itself, too. Color was the way to go because it doesn't have to compete with Kindle in that category; it's no longer e-ink, but a computer screen. Back before e-readers, I read on a little Palm device every night, and didn't believe that the glare of the screen was an issue. But when I tried the Kindle, I could see a huge difference in how easier it was for the eye. I use a little attached reading lamp with rechargeable batteries.

And yes, you can't replace the Kindle's own battery, but it will generally outlast the unit; I've never yet heard of a user needing to replace it. When it can go one month without a charge, it's going to last a long, long time; the Nook will have to be constantly recharged, and eventually you'll indeed need to replace that battery, which is unlikely with Kindle. As for storage, I have 1,000 books on my Kindle and am only using a small percentage of the available space; can't imagine needing that SD card.

One other thing I should mention: Customer service. I accidentally broke the screen on my old Kindle 2. I clicked a button on the Amazon site and within five seconds--literally--my phone rang and it was Amazon saying they would send a replacement that day. I had it the next day. People rave about Amazon's tech support and customer service for good reason. Just something else to consider. And don't forget the Kindle is now as low as $114 I believe. I believe the Nook color is double that.

In conclusion, I think it comes down to that color issue. If it's about reading novels and text-driven books, most experts--and users--will recommend the Kindle. But it's really, really nice to have that color Nook also available for magazines, children's books, and other things. If I had a small child, he or she would get a Nook from me for sure. I also think color is going to be better for textbooks, for example. It really becomes more of a tablet, like the Ipad, but that's a good thing. Tablets are here to stay. Sometime I expect to want one, but even then I'll want a good e-ink e-reader. Really, you can't lose with either.

Posts 2872
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 28 2011 8:58 AM

The Nook Color had a major problem yesterday as they sent out an update that rendered the device useless until they fixed it and sent out a new update. Short term problem, but look out. Could it be the way they do things at BN?

Posts 5
Steve Spurlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 9 2011 9:57 AM

May have missed it, but does Logos work on Nook?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 9 2011 10:25 AM

Steve Spurlin:

Welcome Big Smile

Not yet; Logos is developing an Android application.  With network connection, can use http://Biblia.com on Nook or Kindle to read many of your Logos resources. 

Several Logos users export resources, then use a conversion process so can read resource on Nook or Kindle.

Logos user voice # 15 is => http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/620751-introduce-option-to-export-resources-to-an-e-reade

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 274
Daniel Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 9 2011 10:39 AM

Steve Spurlin:

At the moment, Logos does not have a native app for anything besides iPhone/iPod/iPad and Mac/PC.  But as long as you can get your web browser to display biblia.com, you will have some access to your resources (limited by the features of the web browser you're using).  No app means no offline books and other related features.

Once Logos releases an Android application (could be anywhere from next month to a year from now, but hopefully sooner, based on hints they've given), then you may be able to install Logos on a Nook Color, but not on either of the earlier e-ink Nooks (Nook Wifi/Nook 3G). 

This assumes a couple things.  1) the minimum requirement for the Logos Android app will only be Android 2.2, and/or 2) you are willing to hack/root/tinker with your Nook Color.  This is because the Nook Color only supports the apps directly available in the Nook app store, which I'm guessing won't include the Logos app. 

However, despite those caveats, it is possible to install an unlocked/rooted version of Android (for example CyanogenMod 7) onto the Nook Color, or onto an SD card that you put in the Nook Color.  Then you can install whatever apps you want (including [probably] the Logos app).  But that process will (probably) void the warranty (of your Nook Color), is time consuming, and requires a very fast SD card to work smoothly, or installing on the internal memory, which can be tricky. You can find out more at www.nookdevs.com and also the Nook Color forum at xda-developers.com.

If you're comfortable with installing Linux and using a command line, go for it (once the Logos app for Android is released).  Otherwise, I would recommend finding a used or refurbished first generation iPad and then you can install the Logos app without a bunch of extra steps, plus you can use it right now.  The Nook Color hardware is better than the first generation iPad.  Nook Color has a higher resolution screen, more portable, etc.  But I got tired of all the tinkering I had to do to get around the B&N restrictions on the device, plus waiting for the Logos Android app.  The process wasn't terribly hard for me, just time consuming.

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS