Posts 6402
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 17 2018 6:33 PM

scooter:

It says Mounce does John.

I don’t see the John volume listed. Hmm 🤔 

Posts 80
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 17 2018 6:42 PM

DAL:

Also, didn’t the volume on John by Andreas Kostenberger get removed for plagiarism? I guess people really forgot about this important detail when they voted, because this fact really takes away from the value of the set!

DAL

Revised EBC volume on John was written by Robert H Mounce (inside the Luke-Act volume.) The original EBC was written by Merrill C. Tenney.  REBC was not affected by this problem.

Posts 6402
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 17 2018 6:45 PM
Paul Lee:

DAL:

Also, didn’t the volume on John by Andreas Kostenberger get removed for plagiarism? I guess people really forgot about this important detail when they voted, because this fact really takes away from the value of the set!

DAL

Revised EBC volume on John was written by Robert H Mounce (inside the Luke-Act volume.) The original EBC was written by Merrill C. Tenney.  REBC was not affected by this problem.

You are correct! I confused it with ZIBBCNT in John. My bad 🤗 DAL
Posts 1397
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 17 2018 8:12 PM

John Brumett:

Is this commentary still worth the price (even with the March Madness discount) if you have the original set.  Will there be any further discounts if you own the original set?

So back to John's question.  Any more thoughts on the value of getting the Revised set at this MM price if you already own the original set?

Posts 80
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 17 2018 9:23 PM

Rick Ausdahl:

John Brumett:

Is this commentary still worth the price (even with the March Madness discount) if you have the original set.  Will there be any further discounts if you own the original set?

So back to John's question.  Any more thoughts on the value of getting the Revised set at this MM price if you already own the original set?

I have the original EBC in Logos, and I bought the revised EBC in OliveTree for $229 two years ago. At the time, Logos resource pricing was just ridiculously high, and I started buying resources from Olive Tree, if there is a large pricing differential.  Having the opportunities to use both versions, I find that the new version gives deeper insight and interact with current scholarship discussion. A good example are the commentaries on Jonah 2, Jonah's prayer inside the big fish. The original EBC basically rephrase the prayer and discuss how important prayer is when we are in trouble.  The newer EBC interacts with the current literary critics that notice that Jonah's prayer is not sincere:

-----------------------------

8–9 Jonah vows to offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving for the Lord’s rescue of him. An important issue in this chapter is the question of whether or not this psalm implies that Jonah has repented and is now a willing prophet. Upon examination of the psalm, I do not find a single line that suggests Jonah has recognized the error of his ways and is anxious to pack his bags and head for Nineveh. In fact, he sees his destination as the temple.
Furthermore, the attitude he demonstrates in ch. 4 suggests the contrary is true. The lesson Jonah seems to have learned is not that it is wrong to disobey the Lord and try to escape one’s commission, but rather that it is fruitless. Jonah, I would suggest, is not repentant but resigned to the facts: He is going to Nineveh one way or the other. The Lord will not even allow Jonah’s death to interfere with this mission. So while Jonah is clearly thankful that his life has been saved, the fact that no repentance is mentioned in ch. 2 and the persistence of his bad attitude in ch. 4 suggest that this is the same Jonah who fled for Tarshish. He has simply been shown that this is one assignment he cannot shirk.
The concluding statement, “Salvation comes from the Lord,” is important to the book’s continuing development of its theme. Though the line reflects on Jonah’s experience, it also describes the experience of the sailors and, more importantly, the outcome of the mission to Nineveh.
10 Even the fish cannot stomach this self-righteous, false piety, and in its divinely ordained regurgitation of Jonah it perhaps expresses God’s opinion of Jonah’s prayer. The text does not state where Jonah is “dropped off” by the fish; the logical implication, however, is that Jonah is right back near Joppa where he started. Reluctant obedience has instructive value, and Jonah now has the opportunity to demonstrate that he has learned at least this part of the lesson. So off he goes to Nineveh.

(From Revised EBC Jonah 2.)

-------------------------

Whether to get R-EBC if you have original EBC depends on the following: your budget, whether there are alternative resources you want to purchase, how many other commentaries you have, and how much you have been using the original EBC in Logos. If you have NICOT/NT and you have been using NICOT/NT over EBC, I would not bother unless you have a lot of cash.  If you use EBC all the time, then getting the R-EBC at this price makes sense.  If you have another resource that you want to buy and your budget is limited, then you need to compare which resource gets more bang for the bucks: consider buying NICOT/NT or NIVAC instead.  If you are a book collector and money is no object, then of course you would buy it.

So it all depends.

Posts 781
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 18 2018 4:52 AM

Paul Lee:

Whether to get R-EBC if you have original EBC depends on the following: your budget, whether there are alternative resources you want to purchase, how many other commentaries you have, and how much you have been using the original EBC in Logos. If you have NICOT/NT and you have been using NICOT/NT over EBC, I would not bother unless you have a lot of cash.  If you use EBC all the time, then getting the R-EBC at this price makes sense.  If you have another resource that you want to buy and your budget is limited, that you need to compare which resource gets more bang for the bucks: buy NICOT/NT or NIVAC instead.  If you are a book collector and money is no object, then of course you would buy it.

So it all depends.

Thank you, Paul, for your insight!

Posts 4
Kenneth | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2019 8:36 AM

For someone who does not own either the original or revised version, which one is a better buy?

Posts 5249
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 28 2019 9:56 AM

If you review this thread you will find a wide discussion of the pros and cons of each set...  Over all the revised is an improvement but the loss of volume one's articles is sad. Also many of the replaced commentaries in their own right are very good. Given The price difference I would go for the EBC but I do own both.

-dan

Posts 4
Kenneth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 2 2019 10:13 AM

Dan Francis:

If you review this thread you will find a wide discussion of the pros and cons of each set...  Over all the revised is an improvement but the loss of volume one's articles is sad. Also many of the replaced commentaries in their own right are very good. Given The price difference I would go for the EBC but I do own both.

-dan

Thanks for the advice! 

Page 5 of 5 (89 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS