Print/export without highlighted search terms

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 149
Bob Schaefer | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 30 2011 1:05 PM

I've run into the following scenario more than once:

I've been asked by a member for information about a particular topic. Using a Logos search, I'm able to quickly generate a list of possible references to print for them. I want a clean copy of the text, however - not one where the search terms are highlighted. As far as I can tell, there's no way to prevent those highlights from printing, except to close the search window. If I'm not done researching, though, it's a real pain to have to close the search window just to make a satisfactory printout!

Is there any way to get a clean printout without closing the search window?

I know there are workarounds. I could export the text to Word document and print it from there. But I usually prefer the way the original resource is formatted to the way it appears when exported to Word. I could also wait to print until I am finished with my research, opening a new window for each item or bookmarking them all for later. But that's not always practical.

Printing highlights and other markup is valuable, but there should always be a quick, easy way to print just the resource. That's just basic functionality, I think. So I'm hoping its already in there, and I just need someone to show me where it is. Smilei

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 30 2011 1:09 PM

Short of closing your search window, I do not believe there is a way to accomplish that.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 30 2011 1:52 PM

What about creating a Passage List from the search results ("Save as Passage List" on the search results panel menu), and then Print/Export from there?

Posts 149
Bob Schaefer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 30 2011 1:58 PM

Rosie Perera:

What about creating a Passage List from the search results ("Save as Passage List" on the search results panel menu), and then Print/Export from there?

Thanks for your suggestion, Rosie. And that would work for a Bible search. But it won't help if I need to do a basic search. I'm often looking for dictionary or encyclopedia references, though - today I've been gathering material for a member wondering about biblical criticism. No way to make a passage list for those.

And, truth be told, I'm not a fan of creating a passage list for something I don't actually intend to keep - it means I have to remember to go back in and delete the file that was created, since Logos automatically saves it, whether I want it or not. Grrrr. Hmm

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 30 2011 2:07 PM

The ability to turn off the highlighting of search hits (e.g., as a visual filter) has been requested before:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/18649.aspx

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/18635.aspx

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/17442.aspx [this is the most hopeful, because it indicates that this suggestion has been noticed and logged internally by Logos; it still doesn't mean they've given it high priority yet, though]

I don't see it on UserVoice yet, but it would be a good thing to add and drum up enthusiasm/votes for to help push it up on Logos's priority list.

Posts 149
Bob Schaefer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 30 2011 2:22 PM

I'm not surprised that feature has been requested, and by some of the power users, from the look of it! Before I posted, I searched the forum for threads having to do with search highlights and printing/exporting, and didn't find any that addressed that specific concern. The issue is broader than my particular use scenario, based on the links you provided.

UserVoice is great, but with some big features/fixes still AWOL, I won't have any spare votes to cast for more minor issues like this for a while yet.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS